MSE News: Couples now able to register to shift tax allowance between spouses

Options

Comments

• zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    banjobob59 wrote: »
    It will shortly be the new tax year at this rate.

Only another 305 days to go
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • billywilly
    billywilly Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    banjobob59 wrote: »
    It will shortly be the new tax year at this rate.

Why worry, just think of that nice repayment for this tax year that you will receive after you have sent in your SA tax return on the 31st January 2016! Experience tells me that it will be repaid at any time up to June 2016!!

I have a big black notice that comes up when I log into my tax account telling me that they owe me £7.40 for the year 2013/14 based on the return I completed and submitted on the 31st January 2015. On top of that I am holding a R185 dated October 2014 showing tax deducted which is in fact owed to me. They will get that info on the tax return 2014/15, due to be submitted 31st January 2016

All in all the good old tax man is making money out of me and on balance 2016 ought to be a good year for spending it!
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got my new tax allowance letter through.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 May 2015 at 3:13PM
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    I do not believe it does. Did you use "verify", which is replacing Government Gateway and, get a user name and password and set up security questions with one of the 4 companies they use - Post Office, Verizon, Experian or the other one I can't remember. https://twitter.com/bertvanhalst/status/583187100893356032

No - "VERIFY" is a new one on me !!
    Still waiting to hear - I applied on day one.
    I tried Verify
    I do not have a valid passport - so ticked Photo driving licence
    This only allowed me to use Experian
    I went through all of the questions - including putting in my mobile phone number and the fact that I had lived in my home since Jan 2000 !!
    Guess What ?
    It failed - telling me to phone a helpline
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    No - "VERIFY" is a new one on me !!
    Still waiting to hear - I applied on day one.
    I tried Verify
    I do not have a valid passport - so ticked Photo driving licence
    This only allowed me to use Experian
    I went through all of the questions - including putting in my mobile phone number and the fact that I had lived in my home since Jan 2000 !!
    Guess What ?
    It failed - telling me to phone a helpline

I've lived here since 1975 I have a chipped passport, mobile and all my credit card statements for the last six months and I still didn't pass. It must be an Experian thing.
    Mind you I was after a new driving licence.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    I've lived here since 1975 I have a chipped passport, mobile and all my credit card statements for the last six months and I still didn't pass. It must be an Experian thing.
    Mind you I was after a new driving licence.
    Here's the reason
    We don't have a mortgage (paid off years ago)
    Don't have credit cards - survive on debit cards
    Don't have a loan
    Have a Nationwide flex account (no current account)
    Have a mobile phone contract - which has obviously not been picked up

"Unfortunately we have been unable to verify your identity online at this time.

This may be because we have insufficient information held about you. To be able to prove your identity with Experian you will need to have at least one or more of the following:
    • Credit card
    • Mortgage
    • Mobile phone contract
    • Loan
    • Current account (with an overdraft facility)

If you have recently opened one of the above, please try logging in again in a week's time when our data may have been updated with your new details.
    When you click continue you will be returned to your service provider.
    Your registration details will be saved and you will be able to re-start and complete your registration in the future by choosing Experian next time via the service provider. Please remember your username, password and memorable word as you will need these to log in again."

What can I try next ?
  • johnbfan
    johnbfan Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just registered again using a different email address because the emails I received have disappeared. Looks like my email is set up to delete after so many days.

Says they will contact me within 14 weeks!!!

I don't think I will be able to transfer the allowance because I don't have a driver licence or passport and according to one women's website I've been on they are only doing it if you can verify with a passport or driving licence. If you don't have either you can't do it.

Lifted from the other site........
    You will only be able to register for this allowance online You cannot claim this allowance by phone. You have to verify your identity online, but if your identity can't be verified, there is an option to speak to someone on the phone.

You can register for the married couples' tax allowance at gov.uk/marriage-allowance. Be aware that some people have had problems registering online and verifying their identity
    . There are no plans to make this tax benefit something that can be claimed offline.

So they are onto another winner, knowing that a lot of us just won't be able to do it.
    I'm stressed enough over this - please don't add to it.:eek: :cry:
  • johnbfan
    johnbfan Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Actually this makes me bloody angry.

I paid tax for 34 years and now because I can't verify who I am on line I can't claim. I didn't have to verify my ID when they were taking the bloody tax out of my pay!!!

Sorry for swearing but it makes my blood boil
    I'm stressed enough over this - please don't add to it.:eek: :cry:
  • carmina_piranha
    Options
    It might be worth the cost of getting a passport?

I'd wait it out for a bit though, and see what happens. There's almost a year to sort it out in, and maybe once the initial applicants have been 'verified' there will be a simpler way for people to do it.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Failed verify, used the phone number - sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure