Look here first - Bankruptcy Help: Important topics, factsheets and links

Options

Comments

• LilyBart
    LilyBart Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Options
    I'm struck by the number of newbie posts that are basically totally panicked about what order to do things in (mine too, way back whenever it was).

What about a very simple checklist, ie

1. Make a list of all your creditors, debts, assets
    2. Get professional advice
    3. Phone court and check their system for appointments
    4. Start saving for court fees/planning to move if you are moving

and so on...

Thinking about it, I can see it might get very complicated with tons of footnotes (ie, one option for those who have yet to default on unsecured loans, another for those who've already defaulted on secured loans, another for those with CCJ/bailiff difficulties). But I'm sure a sharper brain than mine could come up with a streamlined list.
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fantastic idea Fermi. I can't think of anything else to add. I do have a car question though but will post a new thread.

:j :j

• LilyBart
    LilyBart Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Options
    Ok Bat, (sigh), I can see it wasn't the brightest suggestion*.

However, Fermi, for the s/e could you perhaps add in Businesss Debtline to the list of main advice agencies?

Lily

*I quite like footnotes
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    LilyBart wrote: »
    However, Fermi, for the s/e could you perhaps add in Businesss Debtline to the list of main advice agencies?

Will do. :)

The suggestion was good Lily, but I think I would prefer to keep this more as a directory of links to useful info if you see what I mean. If someone gets round to preparing and posting something like that, then we can link it in.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    Options
    Updated with a few more links/topics.

Suggestions are still welcome. ;)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• coolcait
    coolcait Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    Updated with a few more links/topics.

Suggestions are still welcome. ;)

I think this is a great idea for a thread, and there's already lots of useful info on it.

But...

Ahem:o

Is there any scope for including info about the Scottish system (or Northern Ireland, which might also be different for all I know...:o )?

(I say all of the above as a committed non-separatist (define 'committed' as you please...:D )
  • fermi
    Options
    There are plans to get there coolcait. :)
    To those in Scotland: At the moment I'm deliberately keeping this specific to England/Wales. Once that is sorted we can start to think about expanding this to cover topics in the new Scottish system.

If you have links to useful info, then post them up and I will try to put together a section specific to Scotland etc in the near future.

• Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Hi fermi,

have you covered charging orders? They seem to come up quite often, and I always have to go looking for the relevant links.

Rich
  • fermi
    Options
    Richard_S wrote: »
    Hi fermi,

have you covered charging orders? They seem to come up quite often, and I always have to go looking for the relevant links.

Rich

Do you mean info about how to get help when a creditor is going for a charging order before bankruptcy? Or do you mean how the OR or trustee will treat and deal with a debt secured on a property via a charging order?

If you can give me a better idea of what the links that you are always "having to look up" are, then I can get them posted on here. :)

• *MF*
    *MF* Posts: 3,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are plans to get there coolcait. :)

If you have links to useful info, then post them up and I will try to put together a section specific to Scotland etc in the near future.

fermi ... just some basics, both Scotland and Northern Ireland, and hope this helps - .

The Law in England and Wales relating to bankruptcy is different to that in Scotland and Northern Ireland: http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/information/help/scotlandni.htm

For information in Scotland you should contact The Accountant in Bankruptcy:

Switchboard: 0845 612 6460
    Helpline: 0845 762 6171

For information in Northern Ireland you should contact The Insolvency Service of Northern Ireland:

Tel: 02890 251441

Website: http://www.detini.gov.uk/cgi-bin/get_builder_page?page=2423&site=8

If many little people, in many little places, do many little things,
    they can change the face of the world.

- African proverb -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts