PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Options

Comments

• dinx1972
    dinx1972 Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 14 January 2012 at 7:36PM
    Options
    Well have been to local recycling centre today as soon as OH got back form gym, and can report the following

15. Very very large and heavy box style TV to recycling centre.
    16. Playstation to recycling centre (none of CS's wanted it).
    17. Large picture to CS.
    18. Bag of clothes to CS.
    19. Old Babylis hair straighteners to CS.

Bringing my total up to 18/100. Been following the 2011 declutter calendar on http://www.mysimplerlife.com and everyone is really noticing the difference in my bedroom. In fact when I was removing the TV earlier that has been sat there for over a year:o my eldest DS asked me what I was doing so I said I was decluttering the bedroom and he said it was the cleanest he had ever seen it and that there wasn't much else to throw out.

Nice thought but I am convinced that I will be able to ditch 100 items out our bedroom alone.
    :j DEBT FREE FROM 01/01/11 :j
    Declutter 2012 - 191, 2013 - 26
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Sue14 wrote: »
    Yesterday I spent most of the day cleaning my oven (first time it's been cleaned as thoroughly since I bought it second hand 20 years ago), and it looks like new, all sparkly, and who knew the shelves were chrome? Not me, I always thought they were supposed to be black, lol! I used a bottle of oven pride (what great stuff that is!) and one and a half spray bottles of oven cleaner, so empty bottles (15 & 16) and packaging (17) recycled, also binned a manky baking tray (18) which was in the bottom of the oven.

Sue 14, well done for cleaning the oven it is one of the worst tasks that I can think off. I read somewhere last year that if you put a bowl with water (I use boiled water) in the oven after every time you have used it, it will help to keep the oven clean. I do this now and it does really help. I keep the bowl in there for 20 minutes or so and then wipe the inside of the door and the bottom of the oven. Apparantely it loses up the grease.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • bonar
    bonar Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep thats the one Byatt thanks
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    Tomorrow I am giving this cot mobile to my SIL;
    AAAAAkb6ppMAAAAAASXARA.jpg?v=1217592959000

We've only used it a few times, there doesn't seem much point in hanging onto it.
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • jess1011
    jess1011 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    Ditch 100 things in January

Woo! :j I am so proud of myself! Ive just spent 2 1/2 hours doing my side of the bedroom and have discarded the following

76. 33 pairs of socks, 6 odd socks and 4 pairs of tights (did a count prior as promised and had 81 pairs of socks!!!) - Recycling
    77. old phone box - Recycled
    78. black bag of carp - Bin
    79 -80. 2 pairs of pjs - Recycling
    81-84. 4 t-shirts - Recycling
    85. 1 pair of bottoms - C/S
    86-91. 6 tops - C/S
    92. Few teddies - C/S
    93. About 10 pairs of knickers - Bin
    94. Make up bag - C/S
    95. Also took another bag to charity shop today before starting a new bag with bedroom contents!

Total so far 95/100 :j
    off to change sig :)
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have to admit I've lost count of my declutters now. But I'm pleased with my progress for the 2 hrs I was actually in the house this morning.
    1) strange bath spa thingy which the children haven't used for years
    2) another big sack of rubbish from DS's room (you have to be like a ninja to get this!)
    3) 2 books gifted to in-laws
    4) sundry bath toys
    5) an entire car load of cardboard
    6) box for the new TV we got before xmas which took up half the garage
    7) sort out of dd's underwear drawer
  • sock-knitter
    sock-knitter Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Options
    decluttered about 50 old magazines, after tearing out the knitting patterns that i wanted, which have been carefully put away in a folder
    animal bedding and general rubbish in bin,
    cardoard packaging into recycle bin
    decluttering chocs from fridge this evening:):)
    loves to knit and crochet for others
  • Trying_really_hard
    Options
    pigeonpie wrote: »

And old clothes. Should I have a rule that if it hasn't been worn for 6 months (season dependent) out it goes?

This is my problem Pigeonpie - keeping clothes I haven't worn for an age in the hope that I might like it next year or something else daft like that.

I do need to have a go through the wardrobe and seriously assess its contents. I managed it with shoes last week.

My declutter will continue tomorrow as I spent most of the day with my parents who took me for a yummy meal (although I felt guilty as my OH was at work at the time :o )
    How long til pay day? :eek:
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Late burst of de cluttering

38. 2x carriers of tat and OOd food to bin.

I'm doing silly stuff, tidying and sorting cupboards when the surfaces are covered. But I'm following the mantra of everything going out of the house will help....eventually.

Just as an aside, DS and I bought 3 new tropical fish today........one of them just had babies!! It seems like a metaphor for anything that enters the house, it multiplies before your very eyes!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Aarons_mummy
    Options
    I am not a good declutterer today. I got rid of nothing (well except the handful of chocolates and the last 3 chocolate biscuits from the tin while watching desperate housewives :o).

At least I got one box in the bin. . . I think I can count that ;)
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business