4x4 Vehicles - Should they be banned from Town/City Centres

Options

Comments

• Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    Right, now I undertstand so I can join in properly. I have a 1957 Land Rover pickup with leaf springs, a crash box, a heater like a wok and 4 wheel drive.
    I love it when saloon drivers drive into my RSJ bumpers and look amazed at their crumpled cars and can only see a layer of dust removed on mine. Yes, I do use it in 4 wheel drive when I visit friends in the country as otherwise I couldn't get up their half mile track in the winter, or out of my very steep drive. I also use it in town, get a lot of respect from HGV's and the occasional laugh when I climb in or out of it wearing a tight skirt.
    If driving a vehicle which is nearly 50 years old and hardly needs a fix that can't be done with a spanner, a hammer and a bucket of water isn't moneysaving, environmentally friendly and classless I don't know what is.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fattyrae1 wrote:
    Hello back, cat person,
    are you purposely missing the point? There is a big difference between a farmer's vehicle and a flashy 4x4. A farmer uses his vehicle for work purposes, a sloane ranger uses their's for status. That's the difference.

As for jealousy, that's what all snobs say when they are criticised :rotfl:

And finally (!!!) iwanttosave should be praised for walking and not driving.

Quote"It must be nice to have the time/inclination/health/waterproofs to walk miles and miles every day..."Quote

iwanttosave makes the time and effort to do this. Good on ya!! ;)
    & greetings to you fattyrae1 person.
    Someone I know very well has a Range Rover HSE for pulling aroung his mobile toilets (acceptable in you eyes I presume). At the weekend (EVERY weekend) he cleans his Range Rover so that it is immaculate, his view is that his works with sh*t all week, at least at the weekend he can look like a civilised member of society (but now his car is immaculate, you somehow think that it is unacceptable). The guy is nearly 60 so I don't think he could be called a sloane ranger (whatever one of those is !).

The point about jealousy has been taken out of context (I think) by you and is irrelevant to my point. As I said earlier, I don't have a 4x4 and they have no appeal to me whatsoever - however I have read nothing on here that would persuade me that people should have there freedom to choose one taken away from them. I don't think that anyone who deals in human waste can be called a snob by any defintion of the word.

And finally ......... There was no critiscism whatsoever about Iwanttosave walking miles and miles every day, as I said Quote"It must be nice to have the time/inclination/health/waterproofs to walk miles and miles every day..."Quote

cheerio

MTC HissyClaw.gif

p.s. 4 wheel drive would have been handy on holiday last week when I woke up to this

IMG_1977.jpg

but the nice thing is that on holiday it doesn't matter. Snowed in, it was great !! and it was 1/2 mile to the road. If i lived there would I be allowed a 4x4 ?
  • 110frankie
    110frankie Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    Bullbars kill children because they are head height?

so all children are the same height?
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    gingerdad wrote:
    That's worring because all my vans are blue as well and i live in the lakes ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

spooky or what !!

There's not many of us Blueies around !

cheerio

MTC HissyClaw.gif
  • the_chauffer
    the_chauffer Posts: 4,615 Forumite
    Options
    110frankie wrote:
    Bullbars kill children because they are head height?

so all children are the same height?
    To a perdestrian in general bull bars are very dangerous. Bull bars are made to protect the front (eg the radiator) of the vehicle when pushing/nudgeing odjects, so they are made from hard materials such as steel to take the force and impact of these occassions.
    In the design of them the perdestrein was not considered. They cause so much damage due to the fact that they are higher then a bumber, but also they are made of metal. So they dont have the ridgity of a bumber, so the whole force of the impact is felt by the perdestrian.
    I maybe flirtatious. So please bare with me.:D
  • fattyrae1
    fattyrae1 Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE=Murphy_The_Cat]& greetings to you fattyrae1 person.
    Someone I know very well has a Range Rover HSE for pulling aroung his mobile toilets (acceptable in you eyes I presume). At the weekend (EVERY weekend) he cleans his Range Rover so that it is immaculate, his view is that his works with sh*t all week, at least at the weekend he can look like a civilised member of society (but now his car is immaculate, you somehow think that it is unacceptable). The guy is nearly 60 so I don't think he could be called a sloane ranger (whatever one of those is !).
    QUOTE]

I do not think that unacceptable at all - he sounds great! My point is that he uses the car for work purposes - he needs the car - that is very different to someone who buys a huge lump of a thing to pose in. I repeat - those people just use it as a staus symbol.
    Shall we agree to disagree???? :D
    I like my money right where I can see it - hanging in my closet.;)
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    4x4 Vehicles - Should they be banned from Town/City Centres

Who will police the ban? Anybody want loads more cams every blooming where so the old bill can sling the drivers in gaol ?
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    GIRLPOWER_2 Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    It is not rude at all, how can the truth be rude :rolleyes:

I see you have the L200, do you mind me asking how often you use the flat bed for its intended purpose, do you carry building materials, do you carry alot of steel, or has the cover even come off. Or is it just you saw the Warrier style car and wanted one.

You will find a lot of women now drive them not because they are the car they want but because when your husband runs a business then they are free motoring... pay it in corporation tax or drive a van or drive one of the handful of cars that carry 5 passangers they class as a van (it has to hold over a ton in weight in the back.)

but back to the point.. I do think they as any vehicle is as safe as the person behind the wheel. I have never in 10 years of driving had an accident. (touching wood as I type!)
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    GIRLPOWER wrote:
    You will find a lot of women now drive them not because they are the car they want but because when your husband runs a business then they are free motoring... pay it in corporation tax or drive a van or drive one of the handful of cars that carry 5 passangers they class as a van (it has to hold over a ton in weight in the back.)

GIRLPOWER ah yes, but from April 2007 they will attract a benefit in kind charge of £3000 which rather takes the shine off it a bit (plus the £448 class1a national insurance that becomes liable).

Fattyrae1.

I think that we shall have to agree to disagree.

Most people (I imagine) are happy with Mr Mobile Bog using his Range Rover to shift his khazis around.
    However...........

The idea of Mrs Mobile Bog using it (while dressed up) to go shopping, drop off her Grandchildren or go to her Church on t'other side of the valley is seen to be somehow unreasonable !

But it's the same car !!!!!!!!

Ah well, it's not worth getting steamed up over.

see you later.

MTC HissyClaw.gif
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    GIRLPOWER_2 Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    GIRLPOWER ah yes, but from April 2007 they will attract a benefit in kind charge of £3000 which rather takes the shine off it a bit (plus the £448 class1a national insurance that becomes liable).

Not if they are a pool vehicle!:p ;) plus you could have already claimed more than that back on VAT in the first 12 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure