British Gas late payment on Credit File

Options
Hi all

Moved house unexpectedly at the end of July and informed British Gas we'd be switching supplier, they said told me my final bill would be forwarded to my new address. I received a letter picked up the phone and paid the bill on 4th Sept.

Fast forward to the other day and I saw my credit rating has dropped 114pts - upon further investigation BG have slapped a late payment on there.

Ive spoken with them over Twitter (messages) explained that this is a mistake i paid as soon as i recieved the letter. They said my file has "paperless billing" on there and an email was sent out on the 1st Aug, then a reminder email on the 16th. I didnt receive either email and ive checked spam. Ive asked for it to be adjusted for goodwill as i was a good customer for 4+ years always paying on time etc.

they've said "It's not a matter of a 'goodwill adjustment', we're not able to tell the credit reference agency that the payment wasn't late as that’s not true information. I simply don't have the power to change it."

Is there anything that can be done? I was late paying this by 5 days because of a simple miscommunication. Ive worked hard getting my credit score up and im on the verge of applying for my family's first home.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Same situation - BG account all settled after moving around 3 years ago, yet a default applied to my account marked as late payment - I am currently in the process of communicating with them as of today to get this removed.
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    British Gas? Seriously?
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your credit reports need to record accurate data - it was late, so this is accurate.

Don't beat yourself up though - it's 1 late payment marker and as time passes the impact will lessen.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Car1980 wrote: »
    British Gas? Seriously?

It has been one of the MSE Cheap Energy Club collective tariffs several times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure