The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread!

Options

Comments

• cydney65
    cydney65 Posts: 829 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Declaring £292.49 this month. This is a bit rubbish but I bought 2 concert tickets and helped daughter out financially as she and her husband are separating :(

Must try harder!

CydneyX
    TOTAL DEBT @ LBM : 17082.66 DEBT FREE 7/01/13 Save 12K in 2019 No. 63; Jan £816.08 Total £816.08/£5000 :o Penny a Day £108.50 We all grow old, use your life, the world goes and flutters by
  • qwertysaver1
    Options
    #40 declaring £1338.83 saved for Feb (update form submitted)
  • Tom86
    Tom86 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    #137 reporting in for February....bit of a shocker this month which I will blame on a skiing holiday....only saved £210...
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 March 2017 at 12:14PM
    Options
    No 155
    Unfortunately, it's £0 this month. I had high dentistry costs plus I had to buy a passport.
    I'm still very focused on saving.
  • Kreacher
    Kreacher Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    £55 net savings for me this month ... I have put away my usual htb isa and regular saver money but that's cancelled out by a larger than usual credit card bill. Bigger numbers should start next month :)
    Save 12K in 2017 #023 = £1345/ £6000 (22.41%)

Save 12K in 2016 #110 = £7500/ £6000 (100%)

20k by April 2018 = £8845/ £20000 (44%)
  • giggleyay
    giggleyay Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    #72 Checking In (Form already submitted) with £332.98 for February.

It's a bit of a small number but it's truly the most I can manage this month. I always seem to have more month than I anticipate lol. As someone said before on here... It is both inspiring and discouraging to see all the big sums of money being saved on here. Makes me want to try harder. :)

Going to have a conversation with my other half tonight and brainstorm ways to cut our budget I think!
  • mummytummy
    mummytummy Posts: 932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    #017 updated for February, £765 :j
    MFiT-T6 #17
    New mortgage: October 2019, £480,000
    Current balance: £210,000

Sealed Pot Challenge~17 #6
  • giggleyay
    giggleyay Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you guys track all saving in this challenge?

I know it's kind of a personal choice thing but I'm not sure what to do about my Rainy Day Funds. :huh:

Since January I have saved an additional £411.18 in my RDF but I have not counted this in my total as I will be spending some of this money this year (Like my Christmas fund). I initially didn't want to count this money and have my total dip at some point.

Now I am wondering if it would be infinitely more satisfying to count my total savings and just not worry too much about the dip later in the year... Or ignore it completely as I will still have saved that amound ultimately. It's still progress after all!

Adding this amount will jump my progress from 11% to 19% which is nothing to sniff at!

What do you lovely lot do?
  • Mogley
    Mogley Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    My method is:

Total saved = (month end c/a balance + total month end savings accounts balances) - (month start c/a balance + total month start savings account balances).

c/a is the main account I use.
    savings accounts include: interest paying current accounts, regular savers, JISAs, S&S ISA (not including growth), child savings accounts. I do not include company pension contributions.
    In the 'savings accounts' is my emergency fund. I am currently using it while my OH is on SMP. You will see by my signature that I haven't saved anything this year (actually -£277.08) due to the way I calculate my savings but my target still remains at £5k.

So in answer to your question, my method says to include it in this month's update. When you spend it, take it away from that month's update.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    giggleyay wrote: »
    Do you guys track all saving in this challenge?

What do you lovely lot do?

I track my savings in a couple of spreadsheets - the easiest one is my grocery challenge spreadsheet where I track my spending, against my target (in the old-style moneysaving part of these forums).

Underneath my spending, I now record my Tilly-tidying - that is all the rounding down adjustments I make to both our C/A - at this point that is all moving to our emergency cash-stash - we are aiming for £10k there - in a bank instant savings account. My monthly total is based in this total for the month plus the additions to DH's S&S ISA and any remainder in each account on pay-day.

My second spreadsheet tracks my current account spending (for each account), my debts, my long-term savings, my budget (annual and monthly) my itemised growth is savings, and my meter readings.

Just to show how totally sad I am, I also have a holiday spreadsheet to track what I have pre-paid and budget to pay for this year's holiday (we travel independently) and a pension tracking spreadsheet. Oh yes, and a group holiday spend and consumption tracker. I have realised I like a nice spreadsheet, me!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport