PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    I'm munching toast and cottage cheese before heading back to bed for a while. Suspect tonight's dinner might be a bung it on a tray and bung it in the oven affair will have a freezer rake later:) or there is always LO mince but think that will be freezer bound :)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    There seems to be so much confusion on this some say pickles/olives don't count due too the high salt others they are fine. Given that preserving fruit/veg is the mainstay of so many of the lauded "healthy diets" from around the world why would they not count;). Equally some say 5/10 different fruit/veg others as much variety as possible. I get why juice/smoothies and processed stuff like tinned soup/baked beans only count as one regardless of portion size but the rest of it pfft....:mad: Me to be honest I like my fruit & veg, pickles and pulses etc. so not a chore to eat but do I eat 10 under the strictest guidlines nope do I actually care nope but think there is a real risk that the mixed messages are going to put folk off as it just seems like too much hard work.......:cool:
    Steps back off of soap box and continues eating her veg laden very tasty savoury mince with pasta........ :D

You can keep that box out, I'll use it.

It is confusing - if you took it your own way and muddled through it might be doable some days - but the Internet brings in a whole raft of "smug bugg4hs" who are fitting it all in (they say) ... and will beat down anybody else with the "if I can do it you can" attitude.

I think the hardest bit is taking the list, crossing off what you don't like, then crossing off what's too expensive, then looking at the few items left and wondering how to fit them into a meal plan without radically changing everything that you eat overnight.

I just work on the method of: "Yeah, I read your list ... I'll see if I can find a quick win."

As somebody who has never had a smoothie/doesn't have a machine and really don't fancy drinking lumpy gloop I won't be force feeding myself with something nasty just to hit some target.

Others seem to eat a lot of salad - personally I've never seen the point of it, it's expensive and not filling. If I am paying money for food I want it to fill me up!

I haven't got the energy to climb up on a soap box this morning..but have plenty to say on the matter when I do!

For now I will just say I wholeheartedly agree with both your posts.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pitta bread that needs using up, last two eggs, so breakfast was: one scrambled egg in one pitta bread, squirt of brown sauce.

0/10 .... because I'm a right maverick and I snort in the face of your 10 :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Tasty lunch of a couple of spoons of LO mince on toast, the rest will definitely be getting frozen :D
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    0/10 .... because I'm a right maverick and I snort in the face of your 10 :)
    :T I agree - I am so sick and tired of finger-wagging nanny-knows-best diktats - and they move the goalposts every flippin' week as well; I shall eat what I fancy, when I fancy it.So there! :p

I shall shortly be at 0.5/10 for today; Mr LW is about to core and slice an apple, and we shall share it. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Jacket spud, beans, cheese. 1/10.

:)

I was going to have meatballs/rice, but then I realised I'm out of rice...most peculiar as I thought I had a whole new spare packet! Oh well.... it's on the shopping list... trouble is, I hadn't planned on going out for food in the forseeable future!

I have definitely got WAY too much food in stock .... but never the things I am hoping to see.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 March 2017 at 4:18PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Tasty lunch of a couple of spoons of LO mince on toast .........:D

I raise you one grilled bacon sarnie on fresh white bread with brown sauce

Tonight I think will be some of my £2 Morrie pie, steak with suet crust topping, with steamed fresh veg, I think it will be 5/10

Could be 6/10 if you count the raspberry jam in the doughnut that fell into my gob

And the currants in the fly biscuit at Age Concern makes it 8/10 :T
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I raise you one grilled bacon sarnie on fresh white bread with brown sauce

Tonight I think will be some of my £2 Morrie pie, steak with suet crust topping, with steamed fresh veg, I think it will be 5/10

Could be 6/10 if you count the raspberry jam in the doughnut that fell into my gob

And the currants in the fly biscuit at Age Concern makes it 8/10 :T

Ah, it's reached the stage where everybody's making up the numbers :)

Veg in a pie won't be much .... but that jam in a doughnut's definitely got to be worth something!

The biscuit ... you get extra points for getting through those; while a nice idea they ARE a bit chewy!
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cream cracker with butter...0/10 :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    Options
    Seems as though we are doing the reverse of the ten a day today LOL - I'm on 1/10 so far...... :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure