GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm in the middle of a swap to GB Energy and so far I cannot fault them.

Their welcome pack arrived within 24 hours of me contacting them and had all the information, including details of the cooling off period.

It asked me to confirm all my details (including my meter number - which they had already established) as well as confirmation of which tariff, the costs and when they expected to take over supply, It also had the date for when the first payment would be taken. Payments were in accordance with their projections

So unless they've changed their processes I cannot understand how some people "didn't know" that there was a cooling off period. Perhaps they just don't read or understand plain english
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mister_E wrote: »
    I signed up with GB Energy for Electricity only but took them up on their cancel anytime offer contained within the welcome pack. (Why? My current provider had launched a new tariff that made moving providers of little or no benefit).
    Interestingly, the welcome pack makes no mention of a cooling off period and they said I wasn't entitled to cancel by transfer as the cooling off period had elapsed.
    If they hadn't have contridicted their welcome pack, I would have stuck with it but I was adament that they should honour their promise.
    To cut a long story short, they cancelled my account but still had me on the national database, according to my existing provider. My existing provider does not have me with them and GB Energy do not have me on account.
    I've asked Scottish Power to migrate me but I'm fully expecting this to be trauma.

It's stories like this that deter people from switching in the first place.

A want your cake and eat it complaint .

The cooling off period is there for legal reasons and you exceeded it. You are confusing the 'cancel any time' with the legal position. GB Energy do not charge an exit fee so you are free to switch away from them without penalty.

Once the cooling off period has passed the mechanics of the switch commence and the new Supplier takes over from an agreed date which is usually notified to you.

At the time you commenced, GB would have been offering the best rate and you can hardly blame them if SP or any other Supplier trumps their offer.

As they explained, once they have taken over your supply you can switch away from them as soon as you like but the process takes a little time.

In reality, I think this is the process that will happen and they haven't actually cancelled your switch.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I agree with the above. There is no mechanism for suppliers to switch customers from one supplier to another unless an erroneous transfer has taken place. This is clearly not the case. The licence obligation provides for a 14 day cooling off period. Provided that the customer changes his/her mind within the 14 day period ( the cancellation doesn't necessarily have to be received within the 14 day period), then the switch can be stopped. Thereafter, the switch goes through. My reading of GBEnergy's ts and cs, is that you can then switch away with an exit fee but I must initiate the transfer.

It can take some time for databases etc to be updated.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    I am currently switching to GB energy, it all went to plan so far, plenty of update messages, first advance payment taken.

On the 25th of March I submitted my initial readings as requested by email on their website, all looks OK.

But its been quiet since, no messages, their website tells me nothing about if I am switched or not or what is happening, my old suppliers site doesn't show anything happening either on that account either.

What should happen next? usually you get a message saying welcome you are now supplied by whoever and your old supplier does a final bill. How long did that take for others switching to GB?
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • backfoot
    Options
    The next contact should be a request for your first monthly meter reading. You will get an email and the website allows meter reads to be submitted.

If you get into the regular habit of choosing the same day each month you should build up a useful history for the future.

A day or so later there will be a bill.

Simple understandable bill from a simple process.:)
  • sillygoose
    Options
    backfoot wrote: »
    The next contact should be a request for your first monthly meter reading. You will get an email and the website allows meter reads to be submitted.

If you get into the regular habit of choosing the same day each month you should build up a useful history for the future.

A day or so later there will be a bill.

Simple understandable bill from a simple process.:)

I did the first reading on the 25th March, are you saying I won't hear anything until the 1st months reading (that is the 2nd set I submit)? :huh:

Thanks
  • backfoot
    Options
    Yes a month after the supply was taken over.
  • sillygoose
    Options
    backfoot wrote: »
    Yes a month after the supply was taken over.

Lovely. Thanks.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are a couple of things that you need to know about GB's billing. They send out an e-mail 7 days before your billing date. Your billing date is the 'x'th of the month they took over your supply. For example, my electricity switch went through on the 10th so I give them a reading on the 9th and get a bill based on actual readings three days later. The bill is clear and free of clutter.
  • allenkj
    allenkj Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2016 at 7:24PM
    Options
    They like their payment up front. In fact they took the first payment a week before my account transferred.

In three months I've never been in debit.

For the second bill they decided to use a completely different last reading so I overpaid even more.

After three months I'm up to £76 in credit.

It's like a prepayment meter where I put lots of money in at the start of the month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure