Visa/Mastercard Chargeback article discussion

Options

Comments

• Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Continuation of this thread which has expired for some reason, don't know what http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71361640&highlight=ombudsman#post71361640

MSE advises here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback that if you make a claim under the chargeback scheme and it's rejected by your bank you should make a complaint to the Ombudsman, and says that it's well worth doing so. This seems to be poor advice. I made a complaint to the Ombudsman and they just referred it back to my bank. The bank says that the rules of the scheme don't allow me to claim and they refuse to give me the full terms of the scheme, saying that they are just a matter between them and Visa. So really I have no rights here at all. I can't go back to the Ombudsman complaining that the terms of a scheme which I know no details of haven't been followed. I think MSE is wrong to suggest going to the Ombudsman - the possibility of doing it encouraged me to take more risk than I would have done in spending on my debit card, and making the complaint has been a complete waste of my time.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bump to merge
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This may be better in a new thread but thought I would ask here first as I have a question about this process.

Before Christmas I placed an order online. On my invoice I have an order total showing:

Subtotal: £xxx
    Shipping: £0
    Estimated Tax: £yyy
    Order Total: £zzz (xxx+yyy)

When I check my credit card statement I have been billed an additional £5 for shipping which was not on my invoice above nor was communicated to me.

Next to the Order Total there is a * which displays this when clicked:

"Many factors can change between the time you place an order and the time your order is shipped. Therefore, the amount appearing on your order as Estimated Tax or Shipping may differ from the amount ultimately charged."

Can they adjust the final billed amount based on the above even though the change in total was not communicated to me?

My invoice has not been updated to show the £5 shipping charge that was added after the order was placed.
  • diamondsky13
    Options
    Hi.
    I'm pleased to have successfully received a chargeback on my credit card of £1000 due to a car hire company automatically charging me their full excess when their hire car broke down.

The car hire company refused to provide me with a roadworthy car so I immediately hired an alternative car from a reputable company. That car hire was extremely expensive at £900 for 17 days. I also incurred taxi costs of £150.

Can I claim for these additional consequential costs?
  • holygamer
    holygamer Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2017 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Deleted. No longer have this problem
  • Tammy-Jane
    Options
    Help! I am at my wits end and feel like i am now battling two organisations prepared to rip me off. I Purchased two APPLE macbook pro computers from a high street retailer in Lewisham. I had lengthy discussions clearly communicating that i was buying them as i need 2011 models or newer in order to run specific software required for a university course, I and my partner already owned 2009 and a 2010 model which could not run the updates required.

After a demo in the shop i agreed to buy a 2011 15" machine and a 17" 2011 model for my partner. The owner suggested i pick them up in an hour once he has completed a transfer of the software he had promised in the deal. I AGREED - DOH!!

i returned one hour later, paid for the laptops on MY Natwest visa Debit Card and was then handed an invoice detailing the sale of two macbooks however did not state exact model or year purchased. I also noted whilst still on the premises the receipt states - no refunds given under any circumstances, i raised this immediately however the assistsant laughed it off and just said any problems, call me. Then i was handed two carrier bags in which the laptops had been wrapped and taped into bubble wrap.

when i got home 70 miles away 2 hours later i unwrapped my purchase and discovered to my horror that i had a 15" 2010 macbook pro and even worse a 2009 17" macbook pro which wont even open past the initial . log on screen, it freezes and is unuseable. I Have been duped. I called the mobile numbers of the shop immediately to request a full refund and to return these machines, they are no good to me and i am also over £1000 out of pocket. The store argued i knowingly bought these items and have refused a refund or to accept them back, telling me to meet . guy in barnet to sell one of them privately!!

i complained to Trading Standards who agree that my consumer rights have been breached they are taking the complaint on and i also requested a charge back through my bank provider Natwest.

after explaining, sending through copies of the invoice, voice clips of the owner outright refusing my refund or to accept the goods back even. i was initially awarded a refund. i have the laptops here ready for the seller to collect and sent photographs to the bank to evidence serial numbers/year of the machines etc.

however, i am utterly gobsmacked that out of the blue, with no explanation or notice Natwest have decided to reverse the refund to me and re debited the full amount out of my account, literally wiping out my available funds. i contacted them to challenge this to be told i have not provided sufficient evidence?!! They have had receipts, voice call recordings, trading standards response agreeing with me, what else could i have provided and can they just debit my account with no warning? i have done everything by the book yet am now left unable to pay my rent or bills, stuck with two useless macbooks that were not what i had bought and paid for.

How could Natwest think it acceptable to treat their own customers as criminals and allow them to literally steal my money from out of my account?

what do i do now? complain to FOS, camp in the branch until they see sense? HELP.. they are in no hurry to fix this yet i have a family to feed and bills to pay! shockingly bad process!!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 May 2017 at 3:40PM
    Options
    I know hindsight is wonderful Tammy but why did you not check what was in the bags ?

Any decent /reputable retailer would have showed you the 2 Macbooks you had bought.

Asking you to sell one of them to some stranger also makes me think they aren't a reputable retailer.

Who was the high street retailer ? A well known one I hope.

Another question why buy from a retailer who is 70 miles away ? Why not closer to home if there's any issues ?

Was it written down anywhere what you had requested eg what year Macbooks ?
  • startingout2016
    Options
    Can anyone help?

I started a Visa Chargeback claim through Natwest 20 days ago when I found that The Gas Superstore had gone bust just a day or two after spending £1670 online with them.
    I was left with no appliances to show for and down £1670.

I have chased Natwest multiple times over the past 20 days and finally yesterday spoke to someone who said my claim is likely to be rejected as I didn't have an invoice from the company showing what was purchased.

I have sent them every piece of information they have requested. They can see the transaction on the account and can see that the company has ceased trading. I have provided a full list of appliances we were expecting to receive, confirming that no appliances have been received and any attempt at contact with The Gas Superstore has been unsuccessful.

I am getting increasingly worried about this as we have had to spend additional money elsewhere to source the appliances now to be able to move into our house, I am 9 months pregnant and on maternity leave and cant afford to lose the money.
    I obviously didn't receive an invoice for the goods as the goods were never received. The company took the money despite obviously knowing they were ceasing trading, so correspondence from them is minimal.

What else can I do?
  • saversfriend
    saversfriend Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

I recently purchased an item described as a "Dishwasher Safe Chopping board", however after a few washes in the dishwasher, the board began to disintegrate.
    After failing to reach agreement with the seller, I've put in a chargeback claim but have been told by my bank:
    "We are unable to assist as the goods have developed a fault, we regulate under MasterCard and can only dispute a transaction when they have arrived faulty."
    I'm surprised if this is correct given that I was clearly sent a defective item, even though it took a few washes for the defect to become apparent. Also, as I purchased a dishwasher safe chopping board and I am yet to receive one.

Do you think I am bang to rights or should I pursue this further and get a second opinion from the Financial Ombudsman?

Does anyone know where I can find Mastercard's Chargeback criteria?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills