Anyone tried Starling Bank?

Options

Comments

• Fred3885
    Options
    Got my code yesterday and account was opened via my phone in 10 mins.

However there appears to be a major bug on their app - at least on iOS on my iphone 6. Only a maximum of five payment beneficiaries will be saved, if you try to add a sixth, then the sixth will replace the oldest beneficiary and so on. I've made Starling aware of this but surprised their testing team did not pick up on this.

Also be aware that smartphone is the ONLY way to make transactions on your account, no telephone or web browser access is provided. Whilst I know many of us are glued to our smartphones 24 hrs nowadays, it would be useful in an emergency if they provided access to automated tel banking at the very least. For this reason alone I won't be using them for my main day to day banking so will use them for overseas use only. However not sure if they can keep up the free overseas use long term, we all know what happened to such perks with Nationwide Flexaccount and more recenty N&P Gold current account.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 May 2017 at 8:39PM
    Options
    Code arrived today (I registered on 2 different phones and both arrived within seconds of each other).

The account was opened in under 10 minutes without any issues uploading the drivers licence scan, verification completed a couple of hours later and overdraft offered at the same time.

Fred3885 wrote: »

Also be aware that smartphone is the ONLY way to make transactions on your account, no telephone or web browser access is provided. Whilst I know many of us are glued to our smartphones 24 hrs nowadays, it would be useful in an emergency if they provided access to automated tel banking at the very least.

for security I've registered the app on 2 separate phones, so if I have a problem with my phone I still have access. You can have up to 3 devices authorised.

Fingerprint access only works on iOS at present, Android (even on fingerprint reader equipped phones like the S7) is still code access only. I've emailed them about it and they say they are working on it.
    ====
  • Fred3885
    Fred3885 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 1 June 2017 at 8:28PM
    Options
    Folks, i strongly recommend you don't use Starling Bank just yet for your day to day banking...its clear the product is still in Beta. This morning I tried to make a transfer online from my KBC bank account in Ireland to Starling and the payment failed despite providing the correct Starling IBAN and BIC. After speaking to KBC they said they its an issue with the Starling BIC and the problem is at Starling's end. I suspect this is the case as Starling can't even get the basic things right just yet, eg max of 5 payees stored in iOS app.

On the plus side, they've told me that any foreign currency payments received by them are converted at the mid-market exchange rate with zero fees...a first for a UK bank I believe. They are also in the process of setting up forex outgoing payments in conjunction with transferwise which again will be sent using mid-market exchange rates, albeit with a small fee. So at least the future looks promising once they have everything working.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    . This morning I tried to make a transfer online from my KBC bank account in Ireland to Starling .
    Hardly what you might call 'day to day banking' - inward transfer of foreign funds. Good test of their systems though - thanks for the clear info..!
    Evolution, not revolution
  • john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have to say love the way the debit card is presented similar to the curve presentation and not having to wait for a pin.

Happy so far.

John
  • Paul_01
    Paul_01 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Debit Card arrived today.

Would just like to echo the above, lovely presentation of the new card!

I'm a sucker for the little things.....
  • eDicky
    Options
    On the plus side, they've told me that any foreign currency payments received by them are converted at the mid-market exchange rate with zero fees...a first for a UK bank I believe.
    Unique indeed for a bank. Monzo might follow suit. Please let us know whether it's true, if/when you make a successful transfer.

Meanwhile you could use Revolut, interbank rate (weekdays) without fee for such a transfer, and it would arrive to Starling as a normal GBP payment by FP.
  • Rollers_63
    Rollers_63 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Fully up and running here now, card has arrived. I must echo the above posts on the presentation of the card, very impressive.
    I am midway through a bank account switch to Starling too, so fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone asked them about the procedure to make cash deposits into the account? I see the FAQ just says "get in touch with our contact customer team".
    ====
  • eDicky
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Has anyone asked them about the procedure to make cash deposits into the account? I see the FAQ just says "get in touch with our contact customer team".
    Yes, I made a cash deposit at a NatWest branch, ask in the chat for the account details to use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport