Options

Comments

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 November 2014 at 9:08PM
    Options
    I'm now scoping out another trip.

Likely to be July or October. Maybe 2015 but probably 2016. Probably looking at 12-14 nights.

Here's my first stab at a route. Wide open to adjustment based on information from others. No sacred cows this time (although I'd love to see Death Valley again). Vegas isn't an essential starting point. Would consider Denver.

Vegas
    Death Valley
    Mammoth Lakes
    Lake Tahoe
    Elko
    Salt Lake City
    Arches
    Canyon Lands
    Monument Valley
    Amangiri
    Zion
    Vegas

- Mrs PW has developed an interest in the night sky, inspired by Grand Canyon and Mammoth Lakes overnighters, so any suggested motel locations in the middle of nowhere with minimal light pollution are welcome!

- Additionally, where would be best for a couple of two night stops?

- Any weather concerns in July / October?

Alas, no camping. Mrs PW won't allow it!

Thanks in advance.

Some of my last trip may be worth a look.

Gouldings Cabins at MV are not exactly camping and can be a MSE optiion in that area.

The Wave is a once in a lifetime hike

October may be cheaper\cooler\less crowded.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This email from visit California has just popped into my inbox. which may be a useful planning tool for folk
  • travellerboy
    Options
    I'm now scoping out another trip.

Likely to be July or October. Maybe 2015 but probably 2016. Probably looking at 12-14 nights.

Here's my first stab at a route. Wide open to adjustment based on information from others. No sacred cows this time (although I'd love to see Death Valley again). Vegas isn't an essential starting point. Would consider Denver.

Vegas
    Death Valley
    Mammoth Lakes
    Lake Tahoe
    Elko
    Salt Lake City
    Arches
    Canyon Lands
    Monument Valley
    Amangiri
    Zion
    Vegas

- Mrs PW has developed an interest in the night sky, inspired by Grand Canyon and Mammoth Lakes overnighters, so any suggested motel locations in the middle of nowhere with minimal light pollution are welcome!

- Additionally, where would be best for a couple of two night stops?

- Any weather concerns in July / October?

Alas, no camping. Mrs PW won't allow it!

Thanks in advance.

Less than 2 hours away from MV is Canyon de Chelly. Spider Rock is awesome and a valley tour with a Navaho guide is essential, it will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up!
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2015 at 8:10AM
    Options
    Less than 2 hours away from MV is Canyon de Chelly. Spider Rock is awesome and a valley tour with a Navaho guide is essential, it will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up!
    Looks fabulous.

I've just spent an hour trying to work this into the schedule.

The preceding day has six hours of driving and this would make for seven hours on the road.

Alas, I'm going to have to store it up for a future trip.

Thanks though.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Still working through this trip and have a bit more detail than above. Again, any ideas to build in appreciated.

Vegas - looking at a show although seem to be limited to Olivia Newton-John. Meh.

Death Valley - stopping at Panamint Springs and risking the rustic!

Mammoth Lakes - taking in some of the seismic hot springs on the way.

Tahoe South - including Bodie Ghost Town

Wendover - this looks like a hell of a drive on a dull road after Reno. Other than a good selection of rock music does anybody have any suggestions to make the day interesting?

Orem - having visited the Bonneville Salt Flats and Salt Lake City.

Moab - spending a day each in Arches and Canyonlands.

Kayenta - visiting Mesa Verde, Four Corners and a dusk drive through Monument Valley

Grand Canyon North Rim - staying in a Western Cabin overlooking the canyon having visited Antelope Canyon.

Kanab - as a base for Zion and then Bryce Canyon.

Henderson - taking in St George, the dinosaur park, Snow Canyon and maybe one other quick stop.

Really looking forward to it.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Moab - spending a day each in Arches and Canyonlands.
    On the way to Canyonlands, the diversion to Dead Horse Point State Park is well worth doing - it's got a fabulous view of the Colorado River far below. It's a state park so the "America the Beautiful" annual national parks pass won't gain you entrance there but it doesn't cost much.

If you get time, a bit of Ut128 (the Upper Colorado Scenic Byway) is excellent. Not far from Moab the road runs alongside the Colorado River with huge sandstone bluffs on either side. It's almost like driving down the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
    Kayenta - visiting Mesa Verde, Four Corners and a dusk drive through Monument Valley.
    The actual Four Corners monument is a bit of a tourist trap. Fun I suppose but IMHO the time would be better spent in Mesa Verde which is a superb place. The diversion through Monument Valley is a great idea. Pity you haven't got time for the San Juan Skyway loop of scenic roads or the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, but you can't do everything.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • PeacefulWaters
    edited 10 May 2015 at 9:31AM
    Options
    John259 wrote: »
    On the way to Canyonlands, the diversion to Dead Horse Point State Park is well worth doing - it's got a fabulous view of the Colorado River far below. It's a state park so the "America the Beautiful" annual national parks pass won't gain you entrance there but it doesn't cost much.

If you get time, a bit of Ut128 (the Upper Colorado Scenic Byway) is excellent. Not far from Moab the road runs alongside the Colorado River with huge sandstone bluffs on either side. It's almost like driving down the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

The actual Four Corners monument is a bit of a tourist trap. Fun I suppose but IMHO the time would be better spent in Mesa Verde which is a superb place. The diversion through Monument Valley is a great idea. Pity you haven't got time for the San Juan Skyway loop of scenic roads or the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, but you can't do everything.
    Four Corners is intended as a ten minute stop. "We've been in New Mexico" claim fulfilled!

Looking at the UT128 option. Might have to squeeze that in after Canyonlands!
  • Crispy_Ambulance
    Crispy_Ambulance Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Panamint Springs isn't luxurious but we really enjoyed staying there. Zion Canyon is stunning.

Sounds like an awesome trip. Did you not fancy Cirque du Soleil in Vegas?
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • Crispy_Ambulance
    Crispy_Ambulance Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, Springdale would be the best place to stop for Zion - you are staying in pretty much in the park there and it's a really charming little spot.
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • PeacefulWaters
    edited 10 May 2015 at 4:44PM
    Options
    Panamint Springs isn't luxurious but we really enjoyed staying there. Zion Canyon is stunning.
    I backed your previous post to book Panamint.

Kanab won over Springdale due to a bargain hotel price and a vague interest in old western movie making.
    Sounds like an awesome trip. Did you not fancy Cirque du Soleil in Vegas?
    Possibly. Might just have a jet lagged early night!

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport