Hole in double glazed patio door for cat flap.

Options
Been quoted £90 by a glazier. Is this about right?
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm curious how this can be done. Double glazing panels are sealed units. How do you keep the seal by making a whole in the glass?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Skiduck
    Skiduck Posts: 1,973 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote:
    I'm curious how this can be done. Double glazing panels are sealed units. How do you keep the seal by making a whole in the glass?

I'm assuming he's resealing it somehow, hence the cost
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    Cheers. Not sure how it's done. But apparently it can be. And he'll fit the cat flap which I have to supply.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pollyanna

Check again how this is being done, and what impact this may or may not have on your insurance ( contents/ buildings)

I say this as its very cheap that quote, The quotes I was getting when I asked about this before was around 250 the ceapest, but most round the 400 mark. I never bothered in the end.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Your sealed unit will be completely wrecked by doing this.

It will be permanently clouded with condensation and will also lose virtually all of it's insulation properties.

Don't do it IMHO.

£90 is about right for visiting your house, cutting a hole in two panes of toughened glass and fitting a cat flap supplied by you, if that's what you REALLY want to do.

I would say there was a risk of the door shattering anyway, as it's toughened glass.

I suggest putting it in another door, or alternatively just make the cat stay outside until you let it in.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He might have a new double sealed unit made.

I can not see how they can do it with the existing one.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Hi I am new to this and came across this site whilst looking for info on fitting a cat flap in a patio door.

I have been quoted £350 but that was the first place I rang. That seems like a horrendous amount but apparently the whole pane has to be replaced!!??
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When a cat flap is fitted the whole sealed unit has to be replaced & the cat flap is fitted by the factory when the new unit is being made.

I had a cat flap fitted into my large patio door shortly after moving to this house & it cost around £250.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has answered the op's question as I was thinking of getting the same thing done. My actually door is not in great condition, so I think I will replace the whole door.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Leothecat
    Leothecat Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the glass in your door in 2 parts? (1 at top then pvc then 1 at bottom)
    If so, just remove the bottom glass part and store it somewhere safe. Then get a plastic/pvc panel and put the cat flap into it at a cost of about £20. Luckily my cousin works for a windows company and so got us the panel for nothing, however he says that if you had to pay it would only cost a few quid. This is what I have done in this house and my previous. It means that you can put the original glass panel back in at any time and it is totally undamaged. Thats what we did when selling the last house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure