Road tax for disabled?

Options

Comments

• tea-bag
    tea-bag Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Tally-Ho wrote: »
    Around my neck of the woods there are a few what most would called 'flash cars' with disabled badges etc. Most are owned by younger veterans who have returned from Iraq/Afghanistan with appalling injuries and have ultimately spent some of their money on what they regard as their 'pride and joys'.

I was chatting with an Afghanistan veteran last month who had bought a new Porsche and he was showing me the adaptations he had fitted to enable him to drive it. Although he loves the car and it is his 'pride & joy' he said he does get frustrated by people who used to look at his tax disc (before he could legally remove it) and his blue badge as if he had no right to both of them and a flash car.

TH

However the idea of expensive road tax is to help stop people buying vehicles which are bad for the environment. Why should the disabled be exempt from helping the planet? I still stand by the idea upto £150 the rest you top up your self.
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I transferred the disabled road to another car today however I realised when I got home that on the post office receipt it stated license start: 01/01/2015.

Isn't the year license suppose to start from the 20th today?
  • sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bery_451 wrote: »
    I transferred the disabled road to another car today however I realised when I got home that on the post office receipt it stated license start: 01/01/2015.

Whenever I've changed car and had to change tax disc it has always been dated from first of the month even though this can mean you in fact would be paying for a full month you didn't use. Same has occurred since I had a tax exemption.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options

HiYa bery_451, I've told you before my friend you don't transfer your tax disk. Your exemption [of VED] on your other vehicle is immediately cancelled and illegal on your old vehicle, and you get a newly issued 12 months [VED] Vehicle Excise Duty from as 'sheeps68' said the first of the month on your new vehicle.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • bery_451
    Options
    HiYa bery_451, I've told you before my friend you don't transfer your tax disk. Your exemption [of VED] on your other vehicle is immediately cancelled and illegal on your old vehicle, and you get a newly issued 12 months [VED] Vehicle Excise Duty from as 'sheeps68' said the first of the month on your new vehicle.

Ok understood that thanks.

So the tax class on my old car autonlmatically goes from disabled to PLG i assume correct?
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Ok understood that thanks.

So the tax class on my old car automatically goes from disabled to PLG i assume correct?

- yes they will cancel the exemption on your old car, anyone buying it will have to pay road tax on it
    - you can only have one registered road tax exemption [VED] per person per vehicle per year
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • bery_451
    Options
    - yes they will cancel the exemption on your old car, anyone buying it will have to pay road tax on it
    - you can only have one registered road tax exemption [VED] per person per vehicle per year

Ok I still have the old tax disc showing on my windscreen on my old car. Do DVLA want it back?

Ok so your saying tax class is automatically changed from disabled to PLG on my old car even though its showing Disabled on the old car logbook?

Cant afford road tax on my old car so can I SORN my old car now?
  • bery_451
    Options
    Bump anyone know?
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    It can show French Foreign Legion on the log book if you like .. .. its irrelevant now. Anyone including yourself and any new owner you eventually sell it to must tax it as PLG and pay the appropriate road tax. yes you can Sorn it online using the :

- 11 digit reference number on your log book [V5C], or the ;
    - 16 digit reference number on your vehicle tax renewal letter [V11]
  • bery_451
    Options
    It can show French Foreign Legion on the log book if you like .. .. its irrelevant now. Anyone including yourself and any new owner you eventually sell it to must tax it as PLG and pay the appropriate road tax. yes you can Sorn it online using the :

- 11 digit reference number on your log book [V5C], or the ;
    - 16 digit reference number on your vehicle tax renewal letter [V11]

I sorn my old car online and I also have disabled road tax on my new car.

Ok I still have the old disabled tax disc showing on my windscreen on my old car. Do DVLA want it back?

Do I have to change the tax class on the logbook on my old car to disabled to PLG or do I not need to worry and not do anything to the logbook and sell the car as normal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure