Relationship breakdown - 3 children currently in US but want to bring them back to UK

Options

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Perhaps not.

But they deserve to be told the truth.

Especially the 14 year old.

Can you imagine going on what you think is a holiday to then be told you are not going back.

That is not fair IMO.

I agree. It's such a life-changing event that they should be told what's going on.

We were always honest with our kids about things that affected them.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Perhaps not.

But they deserve to be told the truth.

Especially the 14 year old.

Can you imagine going on what you think is a holiday to then be told you are not going back.

That is not fair IMO.

Exactly.

Kids: Bye Dad, see you next month and to their friends.

Mum (now in UK): We are not going back, you won't see Dad for a while.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 May 2017 at 7:23PM
    Options
    This sounds a nightmare situation as the marriage must be in difficulties anyway if all the husband's massive hidden debts are only just coming out. I think your friend not only has her future country of abode to try and decide on, she also has to decide whether her marriage is worth saving by the sound of it. It sounds as
    if she has no secure financial future on either side of the Atlantic with no US husband's pension there to rely on, and little or no NI contributions here in the UK to fund benefits here.

If they are about to be evicted, assuming her husband doesn,t get another job rapidly, he will not be able to offer his children a home anyway, even if he wants them to remain in the US. That's the reality of the situation. He may have to agree and accept that his children therefore be domiciled where there is some kind of family financial support for them.

I think the wife needs some immediate and frank discussions with her husband and as soon as his exams are over the 14 y.o.especially needs to be told of the realities of the situation. The children will almost certainly see it as being pulled out of the only environment they have ever known so a move to another country will be traumatic for them, even if financially it's possibly the only practical solution.

I think your friend needs the advice of a local solicitor on possible potential "abduction" issues. How can the husband stop this happening if neither of them can pay any legal fees to implement or prevent their movement to the UK? In my view the husband needs a wake up call. His project is no longer working and he must look to the longer term interests of his wife and children. If he doesn!t it may be the end of his marriage.

In the meantime the wife needs to make a decision rapidly. Does she have a past history of NI payments which might entitle her to some level of UK financial support and benefits? . Also if remaining in the UK seems the only option she will have to act quickly once here to find school places for her three children. She's probably out of touch with school place allocation methods here and won't realise that many schools are over subscribed and she may have difficulty in getting suitable places for them in the immediate locality where she is likely to reside. If she can't afford a car to drive them to and from schools located further away that will be another problem she will have to face.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That does sound rather messy. Would they have a place to live in the UK? Would family members be able to put them up until she (or he) manages to find work here?
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The move will have a very serious and negative impact on the 14yo (leaving emotion behind) just because of the point in his education.

The difference between the education systems, the curriculum etc could badly affect his ability to gain good grades.
    :hello:
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    The move will have a very serious and negative impact on the 14yo (leaving emotion behind) just because of the point in his education.

The difference between the education systems, the curriculum etc could badly affect his ability to gain good grades.

It won't be ideal but it also won't be the end of the world.

Education isn't a one-thing these days - there are lots of opportunities for people to catch up if life isn't smooth, such as missing years of school through illness or through moving countries.
  • mai_taylor
    mai_taylor Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options

So will having no place to live. They can come back from set backs in education but having no roof over their heads will be a much bigger problem.

I would advise her to try again talking to the husband about this, things will be a lot easier if they can work together to find a solution, what are his plans if he doesn't find work and they become homeless? I don't know how it work in the US but is there any help for struggling families? Do they have any friends that could take them in temporarily?
  • Ronaldo_Mconaldo
    Options
    How would the OP know all of this about someone who's been living in the US for 11 years? A bit strange.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    How would the OP know all of this about someone who's been living in the US for 11 years? A bit strange.
    What do you mean? :huh:
    People can stay in touch despite living in other countries, pretty easy now especially with facebook etc.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options

Eh? It's easy to keep in touch these days, I have friends in the US I exchange messages with every few days. It's not about expensive international calls anymore!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure