Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    looking for help. Registered for MA back in Feb, now some 19 weeks ago. received an acknowledgement from HMRC but nothing since. I have emailed them twice and registered a complaint about the lack of action but have still not received any communication from them. Any tips as to how to get HMRC to do their jobs???

Pretty much exactly the same situation here - including the complaint. If you really want some action, contact your local MP and complain to him/her. Ridiculous, but with today's HMRC it seems to be the only way to shake them into action.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm confused - not difficult when it comes to dealing with HMRC.

Is it worth my while applying for MA?

I'm receiving a very small amount of Pension Credit Guarantee Credit and I'm worried that an increase of £212 a year might lift me out of the guaranteed element therefore rendering me liable to full Council Tax etc.

Would they not reduce my Pension Credit by exactly the same amount as I benefit from the MA.

I was born after April 1948 - on State pension - wife under pension age and does not work or claim any benefits.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    I'm confused - not difficult when it comes to dealing with HMRC.

Is it worth my while applying for MA?

I'm receiving a very small amount of Pension Credit Guarantee Credit and I'm worried that an increase of £212 a year might lift me out of the guaranteed element therefore rendering me liable to full Council Tax etc.

Would they not reduce my Pension Credit by exactly the same amount as I benefit from the MA.

I was born after April 1948 - on State pension - wife under pension age and does not work or claim any benefits.

Marriage allowance is a tax allowance, therefore, one of you has to be paying tax for it to be worthwhile. Your gross income will be unaffected by the marriage allowance which merely reduces the tax you pay.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    Marriage allowance is a tax allowance, therefore, one of you has to be paying tax for it to be worthwhile. Your gross income will be unaffected by the marriage allowance which merely reduces the tax you pay.

Thanks for that.
  • Treasure2011
    Treasure2011 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Do you think the increase in tax free allowance from £10,600 to £11,000 in the 2015 July budget mean that the £1,060 marriage allowance transfer is raised to £1,100?
  • zygurat789
    Options
    Do you think the increase in tax free allowance from £10,600 to £11,000 in the 2015 July budget mean that the £1,060 marriage allowance transfer is raised to £1,100?

Yes that is how it works, it is 10%. But it isn't effective until 6 April 2016.
  • mcgsp
    mcgsp Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if anyone could help?

If your total income is just below the limit where you would have to pay higher rate tax (ie less than £1060 below it), will you still be able to receive the full transfer of the £1060 allowance from your partner?
  • mamabuddah
    mamabuddah Posts: 826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 July 2015 at 9:31AM
    Options
    Made the mistake of both of us registering...obviously didn't read the thing ( or understand at the time) had the follow up emails but still nothing about verification.
    Husband £16500 pension
    Wife £840 pension
    Neither are state pension age, so am I right in thinking that surplus tax allowance in this scheme can go to husband and same as everyone else is asking, should we just keep waiting for next email and if successful will it be backdated to date of first email? Thanks for any advice.

Btw husband 59
    Wife 61
    No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere
  • zygurat789
    Options
    mcgsp wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone could help?

If your total income is just below the limit where you would have to pay higher rate tax (ie less than £1060 below it), will you still be able to receive the full transfer of the £1060 allowance from your partner?

Whyever not it's for basic rate taxpayers?
  • Treasure2011
    Treasure2011 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Like you we both appied in error in April.
    Both have received invitation in first week July.
    Ignored my invitation (as the recipient) and my wife completed the very simple forms as the donor.

Very simple process. Waiting now for revised tax code.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback