MSE News: Card protection firm CPP must pay £14.5m to mis-selling victims

Options

Comments

• KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HI. I've been paying 'Identity Protection' and 'Card Protection by direct debit and just had my renewal reminder!
    If you're paying for identity protection, cancel it, it's pretty worthless (and consider a mis-selling claim). If you're paying for card protection, read the policy benefits, consider the cost, and decide whether it's worth it, bearing in mind that most direct losses due to card fraud are already covered.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Out of interest, what are they key benefits/facilities provided by CPP? Not sure I have come across it before.
  • harty999
    Options
    After waiting a few months until more info came out I decided to follow up on my claim again. I contacted Barclaycard one week ago today. On Monday I received 2 calls telling me they were looking into my complaint. Today I received a final letter from Barclaycard saying they were rejecting the claim because in 2006 I rang to cancel the cpp but after the call decided to keep it.
    I made the point in my complaint that I felt bullied into keeping the cpp at that time. I had it from 2001 until 2012.
    Complaint logged with the fos today!
  • Reillymac
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has received a letter as yet from CPP?
  • slowen
    slowen Posts: 2,795 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just found this thread

First complained to CPP in January via phone and after the guy read a script to me about the FSA ruiling I was told I needed to complain to my bank (HSBC) as they sold the policy to me 10 years ago.

Received a letter from hsbc yesterday to say they are working through complaints in order that they have been received and I should get a final letter with the outcome in 4 weeks time.

I remember when being sold the policy with the sales team saying how common fraud was and that the policy can cover up to £100,000 once the cards have been reported even though the banks cover for this.

I only found out about the FSA investigation when I received a letter from CPP to say my policy was due to renew 28/2/2013 so I googled to see if l could get a cheaper price for being a long standing customer and that the policy kept on going up. Instead of finding a cheaper price I came across the FSA document.

Fingers crossed I can get my premiums back for something I was being covered by my bank

Anyone had any joy from their banks yet?
  • harty999
    harty999 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    harty999 wrote: »
    After waiting a few months until more info came out I decided to follow up on my claim again. I contacted Barclaycard one week ago today. On Monday I received 2 calls telling me they were looking into my complaint. Today I received a final letter from Barclaycard saying they were rejecting the claim because in 2006 I rang to cancel the cpp but after the call decided to keep it.
    I made the point in my complaint that I felt bullied into keeping the cpp at that time. I had it from 2001 until 2012.
    Complaint logged with the fos today!

On my complaint letter from Barclaycard they said it was a final decision but if i wanted to contact them I could.
    Well last week i rang them back but couldnt get speaking to anyone and was told i would get a call back. No call back was received. Earlier this week i received a letter from them saying they were looking into my feedback which i still hadnt gave them and it would be reported back to me by the 18th March. So I rang again yesterday and was told sorry i hadnt received a call back but they would call me today.
    Today i received my call back. They guy tried to say why it was rejected. But i told him i read the FSA ruling on CPP and it clearly contridicted what they reply to me was. I also informed that i heard they had the most upheld complaints with the fos. He said he would look into it and call me back today. 4,45pm today and no call back as i knew thery shut at 5 i called again. I was told he was on a call and would contact me before he finished.
    They have now upheld my complaint from 2001-2006 and they will forward the details to cpp for 2006-2012. The reason for them going to cpp was that in 2006 i tried to cancel and rang cpp. But after a call felt pressured into keeping it. Again this was part of the fsa ruling.
    He will call me on Monday to give me a figure!
    It pays to keep on top of them also it saves a 9 month wait going through the FOS. I had it logged with the fos but have yet to fill in all the forms.
  • harty999
    harty999 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    Hopefully CPP payout from 2006-2012.
  • THX
    THX Posts: 61 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made a complaint by e-mail to CPP. They have replied that as my Identity Fraud policy was sold through MBNA they can't follow up my complaint. They have apparently passed the complaint to MBNA to deal with.

Is this acceptable or should I be getting back onto CPP?
  • slowen
    slowen Posts: 2,795 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    THX wrote: »
    I made a complaint by e-mail to CPP. They have replied that as my Identity Fraud policy was sold through MBNA they can't follow up my complaint. They have apparently passed the complaint to MBNA to deal with.

Is this acceptable or should I be getting back onto CPP?

They said the same to me when I phoned CPP as when I have them my policy number they said the policy was sold through HSBC and that I also needed to raise my complaint with them.

Think my complaint has been with HSBC for around 4 weeks now and received a letter the other week saying I should get the final outcome in the next 4 weeks.

Whether they agree they've mis-sold the policy to me and repay my premiums or if I will be required to raise the complaint to the financial ombudsman is another matter
  • BettyLou_2
    Options
    I've been following this on and off and am wondering how long to wait for CPP to contact me. This was a service offered years ago by a CC company and it was STRONGLY recommended. Somehow or other, even though I never used the service--since my internet at the time could not access the forms online--the annual charges continued. I questioned this with the CC company but was fobbed off. I eventually managed to stop the service after years of paying for something I could never use.

So, how long do I wait or is there an address I can write to begin my complaint?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure