PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Singlies - We Do It Our Way!

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Calico,

Well...you have the very basic work stressor of antisocial hours in your job.:eek:

Must admit that that was one thing I would never do to any great extent personally. I did some work (by my choice - if you can call financial necessity a choice:cool:) at occasional evenings and weekends. Nights were always a total no-no to me and I would have turned down any job involving it (though the type of work I did doesn't tend to be done at night anyway).

I do sympathise with people with even similar type jobs now. Back when I started out working in the first place, office jobs were Monday-Friday and during office hours (ie 9-5 or pretty much). It did take some determination in latter years to ensure that that was what my workhours stayed as, as even many office workers these days are expected to work at evenings and weekends:eek:.

I quite honestly literally don't know just what type of job I would do these days if I had to "start over". By the time I'd laid down the basic parameters of:
    - its indoors
    - its traditional office hours only
    - its safe
    - its secure
    - with a pension hopefully
    - its pretty undemanding

I actually wonder if there would be anything at all "left on the table" I could do. Guess I'd have to experiment like mad with things I'm interested in and try and create a self-employed career of some sort for myself...with all the attendant "Is there actually anything that I am both that interested in and that good at that I could make a living from it, and in competition with all the other people who have also had that idea?"
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2014 at 1:59PM
    Options
    Grousescot, I'm speaking from my experience & don't want you to think I'm saying "jump ship" as far as your job is concerned, especially as the climate for work is so difficult, much more difficult than it was when I was in my office job, although the restriction later, came as a result of commitments and there not being the variety of well paid jobs in the area I lived. But do consider other options (training/further education) or establish a hobby/interest, because as LB said, that can help put the awful job in perspective.

In the latter years of my job I loathed it with a passion, the office politics were horrendous and I was never one to "play the game"...it was also the 80's when you were told, " if you don't like it, then you know where the door is". I stayed for the security, the excellent child care and the flexi time, and of course the pension. But looking back now, well although not a complete waste, I made choices based on what was happening in my life then and with a view that it would benefit me later...

but I do have regrets, and that's not doing something that I liked if not loved and that gave me some pleasure and reward. I had a nervous breakdown in the end, (combined with what was happening in my personal life).

I am a pet sitter now because I can't work with people. :rotfl:

So, over time, work out, consider where your passion/interests lie and maybe go for it/them. :)

edit, one of the stresses resulted by oftne being blind sided, I never spoke up for myself, which was a disaster for me, people just took advantage. Now I would be very different as I've learned being diplomatic/considerate just doesn't pay.
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    My ideal job isnt out there...........i want the same pay as now , but to be paid it for playing with puppies and kittens :D.....and chickens now:rotfl:
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2014 at 7:08AM
    Options
    Guessing my ideal job would be some sort of "relaxed" community wholefood caf!/bookshop/genuine garden centre type place that operated at a very relaxed pace and attracted lots of interesting type people to visit and I could brew up some coffee one minute (and it would be the type of place where you made one for yourself and sat there for a chat with them) and then sold them some food plants for their garden the next and that was generally a hub of interesting type community activities. A nexus of nice:). Somewhere where people were doing something "creative" in one section and others were organising a community action in another.

You would have been well in the other day Lavender and Calico. I was out somewhere where there were various animals all wandering round happily that lived there, including chickens and one of them had some young chicks (really cute they were all bopping round near mum). They said the chickens lived totally free to roam where they would and accepted that that would occasionally mean "a short life but a happy one" where the odd chicken got involved in an altercation with something or some animal. Left me contemplating whether I could get a couple and just leave them totally free to roam at will from my house. Just how far DO chickens roam if they are allowed to literally walk wherever they want? (wondering if any might go heading off towards nearest road and start "playing chicken" with cars)
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Chickens do in deed play 'chicken' with cars. The farm where I used to get eggs from when lived at old place let them roam anywhere and i'm sure a few probably got squished on the road.

Actually I would also love working in an antiques/secondhand furniture shop, and I loved being the manager of a coffee shop in a garden centre but the pay was pants.....very relaxing /fun job though. I would shift jobs now if it wasn't for the whole pension thing.

Right...Must go to sleep despite not actually being tired to then get up for late lunch with friends.

Mum up tomorrow (dust police)....and house is a ruddy tip. She will just have to get on with it.

Tuesday.....Must go get shelving stuff from Ikea that I have been threatening to do for about a month now and keep putting it off due to serious aversion to building things myself.

Wednesday.....kiss kiss sparky is meant to be coming with doorbell thingy. However this is not a dead cert as he text apologising he didn't arrive last Wednesday due to being busy when as far as I was concerned I was in bed for work and it he wasn't due until this wednesday.....it's all getting a bit confusing, which is funny, but eventually I will get bored with that and go with Lb's new sparky as he seems pretty on the ball, and is also confident with plumbing problems, so a double score.

We'll see how cute I think he is wednesday if he turns up and I will decide then.....lol.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • Byatt
    Options
    What happened? yesterday was Spring, today...winter! Did I !!!!! my finger with a needle and fall asleep for months? :D

I know a number of places where chickens free range, I've seen them near the road but not on the road...I think they are more intelligent than the silly pheasants who cross the road like Kamikaze pilots :eek:

My present job came about because no-one would employ me, several years out of paid employment whilst caring for DD counted for nothing even though I also set up my own fleabay business, was a parent governor, got a degree whilst selling my house, divorcing, moving 3 times...:cool:

The fleabay business was very isolating and as I was almost reclusive latterly, decided I needed to "get out" more as well as earn some money or starve. I don't want to work with people now, I get easily irritated (:mad:), plus my depression can hit unexpectedly. And I swear more since divorcing...;)

My very first job was as a junior library assistant at a university, it was perfect but I stupidly left, not one of my better decisions in a long line of stupid decisions.

Calico, hope kiss kiss sparky turns up...but yes, LB's sparky sounds like a keeper.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2014 at 3:36PM
    Options
    Byatt wrote: »

True :T and I think I shall go back for a re-read and think about that one.

I certainly agree most with the one about naysayers. It takes a bit of doing when someone seems to think you cant manage to do something to tell yourself "Maybe they are saying that to me because THEY aren't capable enough/strong enough, but that doesn't mean to say I cant" and then go ahead and try. I tend to have the feeling that people are being naysayers sometimes because they have a little subscript running through their mind about the person they are saying nay to that goes "Who does she think she is?" and that's a horrible little phrase some people use, where "Good on her/him for trying" would be likely to be mine personally.

For instance, with house renovation still going on, I've had to be strong enough to stand up to workmen expecting me to live with their mistakes. Not if I can help it I won't.....and I know some people would just "put up and shut up", but I don't want to have bad jobs done and would also feel guilty if I let them think it's okay to give customers a poor standard (so hopefully I'm contributing to them being more careful with jobs they do in future for other customers). So...exercise in being "strong" time again....darn it...

EDIT: And I have literally just found another example of poor workmanship. Agh! I think I'll tear my hair out or something...but settled for bursting in tears. You know...it would be handy sometimes to have A Significant Other to say What For when necessary, rather than having to do it all the time myself. Okays...I've had my "Bl**dy workmen" whinge for the day. As you were....
  • Byatt
    Options
    Sorry about the poor workmanship Mtstm, although having a husband/SO is no guarantee of them speaking up, mine always expected me to do it :(, quite frankly I wonder now what use he was at all, 30 years of carp!

I think you need a break from it all, is that possible? I mean stopping some of the work or going away for a day or so.

My mother was my biggest naysayer...

My "thing" is a pity party at times, usually when I'm very tired and emotional, but I am trying not to harp back to what ifs and make the most of what I have.
  • Byatt
    Options
    A E Houseman (just watched Endeavour...)

To-day I shall be strong,
    No more shall yield to wrong,
    Shall squander life no more;
    Days lost, I know not how,
    I shall retrieve them now;
    Now I shall keep the vow
    I never kept before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing