MSE News: BT to hike prices in January - watch out for a letter

Options

Comments

• Jay442
    Jay442 Posts: 39 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2017 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm currently with BT and I haven't received the email about price hikes so they tell me I can't cancel till I've received it.
    The issue I have is that I am actually leaving the property on Monday and therefore I want o cancel, if I just tell them I'm leaving the property they will charge me cancellation fees as the new place is not with BT. What are my options?.. if I just don't tell them I'm leaving the property does that cause an issue anywhere?, presumably if the next tenants want BT it may do?

..of course it would be a risk leaving a 'free' phone line open!

..just seeing I can put a line/internet on hold for a period of time to stop anyone accessing it
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Vegastare wrote: »
    My contract is till May 2019(started last May) - broad band unlimited calls (BT Infinity 1) and a free (at moment BT Sport offer) the email today directs to a link for a new deal for 18mths which will be £ 2.49 less but with only evening and weekend calls........but and this is my query it says 18mths at £29.99 then £49.99 after and the offer includes line rental........I take it that it means line rental is not included in the £29.99 offer!

Line rental is now included with all BB deals. They're not allowed to show it separately anymore.

Basically your offer is for 18 months at £29.99 and then after that it will jump up to £49.99.
  • Unicorn_cottage
    Options
    Rang BT today. They have cancelled the increase of £2.50 from January for my broadband unlimited Infinity 2 but the increase of £0.51 for unlimited anytime calls add-on will remain. A small victory I guess!
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
  • greenaliens
    Options
    Hi, BT have just told me that I can leave their broadband contract without any penalty as the prices are rising but I would forfiet the remaining amount of money in my 12 month line saver rental. What a rip off to force you to stay with them!
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, BT have just told me that I can leave their broadband contract without any penalty as the prices are rising but I would forfiet the remaining amount of money in my 12 month line saver rental. What a rip off to force you to stay with them!

You were given wrong information. They now have to refund the remaining portion.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/22/bt-refuses-refund-prepaid-line-rental-cancel-service
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    This looks to be another attempt by BT to scaremonger customers by blatantly lying over them not getting any line rental advance payment back.

Raise a complaint immediately so you don't "timeout" your opportunity to cancel because of the price increase. Escalate the complaint if they refuse to confirm their "mistake"!
  • greenaliens
    Options
    What is the best way to log a complaint about BT over this issue?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is the best way to log a complaint about BT over this issue?

In writing to head office .
    But its in the terms and conditions you signed up to .
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    In writing to head office .
    But its in the terms and conditions you signed up to .

Yes, but surely the Ofcom ruling overrides that?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Yes, but surely the Ofcom ruling overrides that?

As the question was
    <What is the best way to log a complaint about BT over this issue? >
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family