Your Bangernomics successes

Options

Comments

• scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    New 'banger'..

S reg Passat Syncro. 2.8Vr6 4 wheel drive. Not many of them left on the road these days and were pretty rare when new.
    125k on the clock.
    Full dealer service history - at the same place, roughly every 8000 miles.
    Timing chain replaced at 90k
    Last services 1000 miles ago
    Same owner for last 8 years
    Two previous owners
    Full leather interior and still as new
    5 alloys with good tyres, none of this space saver malarkey.
    MOT'ed till July
    3 months warranty and not just 'it's a second hand car from a car dealer so i get a warranty of standard so don't try and fob me off'. A proper 3 months warranty with a warranty company.
    £250 MOT insurance.
    Scorpion Thatcham alarm / immobiliser
    Two keys plus the emergency plastic key.
    Was even valeted before collection

Bad points - chip on the windscreen out of view. Handbrake needs tightening. Slight noise from rear wheel - possibly bearing but early stages. Rust bubble along the boot under the window. Probably be easier to replace the boot.

Advertised at £600 without tax but paid £700 with 6 months tax.

No pics yet
  • Wongsky
    Wongsky Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    New 'banger'..

S reg Passat Syncro. 2.8Vr6 4 wheel drive. Not many of them left on the road these days and were pretty rare when new.
    125k on the clock.
    Two previous owners
    MOT'ed till July
    3 months warranty and not just 'it's a second hand car from a car dealer so i get a warranty of standard so don't try and fob me off'. A proper 3 months warranty with a warranty company.
    £250 MOT insurance.

Bad points - chip on the windscreen out of view. Handbrake needs tightening. Slight noise from rear wheel - possibly bearing but early stages. Rust bubble along the boot under the window. Probably be easier to replace the boot.

No pics yet

They're not VR6s they're the Audi derived 5 valve per cylinder 2.8 jobbies. And I was pretty sure they had cambelts not chains?

I had a couple of Passats from that era, a 1.8 20v, and the 1.8 20v turbo sport. Wish I'd kept them both longer - well the second got nicked, the first I changed myself, but came to regret it. Oddly, although it wasn't quite as powerful, I prefered the NA 1.8 engine to the blown one.

Think the comfort control units tend to be a bit vulnerable from water ingress, so things like windows and other "soft" parts of the electrics can become a bit unreliable or flakey over time.

Have to say, back in the day I really loved my first B5 Passat.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    It's a different variant I think. The Syncro was a VR6 and had the same engine as the Golf VR6 - as far as I'm aware.
    http://www.autoevolution.com/engine/volkswagen-passat-b4-2007-28-vr6.html
  • Wongsky
    Wongsky Posts: 222 Forumite
    edited 8 November 2013 at 4:45PM
    Options
    It's a different variant I think. The Syncro was a VR6 and had the same engine as the Golf VR6 - as far as I'm aware.
    http://www.autoevolution.com/engine/volkswagen-passat-b4-2007-28-vr6.html

Not in the B5 Passat, it wasn't.

Take a pic of the under bonnet - I think you'll find it's the longitudinally mounted 2.8 V6 Audi derived block, with 30 valves (5 per cylinder).

VR6 was the narrow angle "V" (in quotes because it was truly narrow angle) 6 that was transversely mounted.

Is there a plastic cover over the valve area, and does it look like fish jumping in a river?

An S reg Passat would be a B5, and that shape model didn't use the VR6 engine.

The engine in your Passat should be this one, which isn't the VR6 engine - it's just mislabelled on the web page you linked to - see the Wikipedia page for the B5 Passat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Passat_%28B5%29

And see here on Wikipedia for the VR6 engine "The new version was not available in the Passat (as it was incompatible with the then-current generation's longitudinal engine layout)" the version of the Passat being talked about there is the B5, as that model and the B5.5 had the engines mounted longitudinally.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    ah well, either way it's a 2.8 V6
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ah well, either way it's a 2.8 V6

At last! some one will have worse fuel economy than me!

Can't wait to see some pics!
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    New 'banger'..

125k on the clock.
    Two previous owners
    MOT'ed till July
    £250 MOT insurance.

No pics yet
    Where is this wonderful dealer who is honest yet sells reasonably priced, cheap decent motors? :D
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    It's these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/thepartexchangecentre2011
    http://www.shottonpartexcentre.co.uk/

Their eBay account has a few bad feedback from a while ago.. but the car was valeted and they actually told me it came with the warranty. I didn't even have to ask.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ahh up shotten.. not far from me.. he advertises loads on facebook under the same name..
    seems a canny enough bloke
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    Yeah they both seemed genuine enough.. although they'd be crap car salesmen if they didn't..

found a CD multichanger in the boot earlier and it still has the jack / toolkit and triangle.
    Took it round to my mechanic mate to have a look at and he just swore at me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback