Airline Charges Rip Off Discussion

Options

Comments

• JasonLVC
    JasonLVC Posts: 16,762 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 August 2009 at 8:58AM
    Options
    Clearly touched a nerve with the Michael O'Leary fanclub.

All great consumer campaigns have to start somewhere.

Two years ago, NOBODY batted an eyelid paying £45 bank charges for being overdrawn by 1p. It was the norm.

Three years ago people were paying extortionate APR's on their credit cards until MSE pushed the credit card tart concept and now folks transfer debts around for free.

MSE has campaigned hard and long for consumer rights....rip off electricity charges, rip off broadband charges, banks ripping you off for foreign exchange on your debit cards, etc.

RyanAir ARE ripping people off, yes you can have a flight for 1p (I've enjoyed many at this cost as a walk on passenger) but just becuase one can chose options that pushes the price up, it doesn't make it right. A consumer buying a ticket for something expects basic requirements like a seat, luggage space and the ability to actually check-in.

Why the big fuss over banking charges? - YOU go into debt, YOU pay the bank....and yet the High Court begged to differ to the tune of a few £m and consumers get their money back.

I'm neither pro-MSE or Pro-RyanAir but when this site is about consumer rights and level playfields, this campaign, albeit a little sensationalist, could make positive changes in the future.

And for the O-Leary fans, even the EU is unhappy with RyanAir (and EasyJet) for not complying with EU law.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
  • london_lass
    Options
    I hate flying RyanAir and won't do unless I absolutely have to - case in point, my friends recent wedding in Londonderry. I had to travel with a suitcase, as I had wedding presents and outfits in there. So that's £30 each way. Add onto that the ridiculous charge they lump on you for checking in online *on your own home* and printing out your own boarding pass, as well as the fee for using a credit card (I refuse to use a debit card to pay for flights as I want financial protection). In the end a £25 return flight cost me over £60!

If you're flexible with where and when you can go there are much better options out there!
  • northernmonk
    Options
    Why has no one mentioned the fact that as far as I can see you HAVE to pay £10 for online check in each way? Surely no one can claim that is a fair cost to enforce? Has everyone who claims its easy to book a £1 fair for £1 actually booked a flight recently??
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 August 2009 at 9:15AM
    Options
    I agree if the fee is unavoidable it should be listed as part of the flight cost
    BUT believe that some of the specials had this " onlinecheck-in fee" included
    .. I looked at a flight - £4 each way that did.

( whilst I have flown with other low -cost flyers I have never actually flown with Ryanair .. guess if I did I would look at the total price for the elements I wanted)

---

Think many of the posts here are questioning the style MSE post, rather than its content
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • mamcmahon
    Options
    I flew Ryan Air with my wife, Stansted to Oslo Torp. After the ridiculous offer of £1 seats that we knew couldn't happen we finally paid £100 for two flights return. This still gave us a saving of over £100 on BA to OSLO. It doesn't stop there though. We decided to take one check in bag between us to save on one of the surcharges. When we got to Stansted it was spot on 15 kg but watch out.... the penalty on being one kg over the 15kg limit is enormous It was 2kg over on the return and we had to stand in the queue removing items to our hand luggage to reduce it to 15kg. What's the point??? The weight still goes on the plane whether in hand luggage or check in and the check in bag still only weighed 17kg between two people. This is rip off prime time. The online check in is also a rouse to catch those who forget. Fancy having to pay a penalty to check in at an airport?
    I wrote to Ryan Air and they didn't even have the good manners to acknowledge receipt. Never again, I'll pay the premium and enjoy my flight next time......
  • chattyone13
    Options
    I looked at budget fares to Cyprus for March 2010...then after adding on all their charges I looked at Briatish Airways...guess who was the cheapest?? Ok it muight have been a one off but I will certainly be looking at scheduled airlines as well as budget from now on...another plus point could be that scheduled flights are normally on time !!!:j
  • chattyone13
    Options
    how can anyone fly for 1p when you ahve to pay online booking in charge..each way !!!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 August 2009 at 9:33AM
    Options
    I think your post is a disgrace, considering that you are clearly an MSE staff member and should know better.

I frequently fly with Ryanair and manage to abide by their rules. I have flown to Dublin and back for a grand total of 2p. I have had many flights at the advertised £1, £4, £5 etc. with no extras, to destinations all over Europe. I went to Prague and back for £8 in July.

If people choose to purchase those extras, that is up to them. They are not compulsory, and they are made perfectly clear.

I feel that an MSE employee should not be in a position of making such a biased and misleading post. Surely the approach should have been to show how much could be saved by doing it the 'MSE Way' like plenty of us do.

Any comments, Mr Lewis?:think:

Yes I must apologise, the words are not MSE Archna's they're mine. She posted them for me late last night as we worked on the tip.

The communication of the extras by budget airlines is inappropriate and must be changed. Its interesting to read the reaction here - and makes me smile to an extent. We've had similar "berating" posts for calling Ryanair £1 flights a pound before (even though we always explained there are extras) - now its the opposite.

I make no apology for calling for payment and checking in to be inclusive costs. I note that the earlier posters - obviously experienced board regulars are those saying "no problem". Yet read down some of the comments - clearly others do find it difficult. The "jump all the hurdles" approach is wrong.

The airlines deliberate use of the electron card to claim paying is free is a farce. Of course there are ways round it - and indeed that's what the entire new guide that prompted this note is about. Remember this comes from the weekly email it isn't a standalone, and the main point is encouraging people to beat the charges.

Yet the point is plain (or plane), if you book a flight, paying by debit card, and checking in online that should be in the main price advertised. Yet at different times with these airlines it isn't so.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • jcreedy
    jcreedy Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    how can anyone fly for 1p when you ahve to pay online booking in charge..each way !!!

Exactly. There is no such thing as a £1 or 1p flight, because you can't get around paying airport taxes and charges each way. Baggage and non-online check-ins are obviously optional and will bump costs up, but you won't get the actual flights for much less than £30/£40. That is what !!!!es me off.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    So you think they should state the price for each possible price combination on the front page? :confused:
    This would clearly be unworkable, but why not make them quote a typical price - the price that the average person will pay for the flight.

A credit card that gives a rate of 5% APR to its top 10% of customers can't shout about having a 5% rate - they have to quote their typical rate.
    Likewise, RyanAir shouldn't be allowed to shout about the price that only 10% (or whatever) end up paying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure