PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• winniepooh
    Options
    What i great thread, thanks for all the tips xxx
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • NaughtySpot
    Options
    On the subject of tumble driers; I love mine and use it a fair amount.

Not very OS at all but when I costed it out I reckon it (only!) costs about £70 a year on three loads a week. If I was to buy one of those Lakeland airer things, it would take a years worth of TD money to buy it, and it would be on a lot as I wash a lot. I can't believe I would get a full load on it too!

I don't have problems with condensation and damp as I only air dry things which can't be tumble dried.

I don't think they are the money draining things they are protrayed as being, and as a bonus mine does warm the kitchen up too.

I think sometimes the bigger picture is needed to make a choice on these things, just my ten pence worth.:j
  • winniepooh
    Options
    I have got a tumble dyer in the garage which i used alot last year and it cost me a fortune, this year (as long as its not raining) will be hung on the line
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • thriftyniftyme
    Options
    If you do use a tumble drier, there are ways you can make it more economical. For example, a lot of the energy used by the drier is used to heat it up in the first place. Once it's hot, the heater will switch on and off to maintain the temperature (a bit like an oven). So if possible it makes sense to have a 'wash day' so you can put load after load in the drier in succession, so that it doesn't have to heat up from cold each time.

If you can turn the heat down on your drier, it will help to reduce the fuel used.

Make sure the vent and fluff collector are both always clear.

I have heard that adding a dry towel to the wet load helps. I've never tried it but it's worth a shot.
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    It was this thread which motivated me to get a thermal curtain up at the front door (thanks Dad!) and it has already made a difference. The cold air used to go straight up the stairs to DD's room so I'm hoping she will be a lot warmer.

Re. drying washing, I've used the 'dry' setting on my new dehumidifier a few times and I'd say it easily halved the amount of time the washing took to dry.
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Feel very cold and very achy today. I need to put some layers on.

With the tumble drier v other methods no doubt there are price differences in outlay or running costs but I think it's important to remember what works for you. I have no room for another gadget so the tumble drier works for me. :)

I had buy flannelette sheets on my winter list but I've scrapped that as I found a set today (while decluttering). No point buying stuff just for the sake of it.

Also scrapped to bulk cook some food off the list as I have no room in the freezer - I forget that every time we cook we make double to freeze some. :)

Also scrapped washing all throws. They will be washed as they need to instead of doing them all at the same time.

Lots of prep has been done but as I feel so achey I've decided to make this simplifications to my list, so as not to overwhelm me what's left to do and not feel I'm doing something just for the sake of it. Amen eh.
    :A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Question is , is there any more snow on the horizon in the next two weeks or so for the rest of us?
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Possession wrote: »
    It was this thread which motivated me to get a thermal curtain up at the front door (thanks Dad!) and it has already made a difference. The cold air used to go straight up the stairs to DD's room so I'm hoping she will be a lot warmer.

Re. drying washing, I've used the 'dry' setting on my new dehumidifier a few times and I'd say it easily halved the amount of time the washing took to dry.

You haven't stopped the cold air going up. Cold air sinks, warm air rises.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    KITTIE - After seeing the BBC News this morning covering the snowfall in the west of the UK I wanted to say thank you for the heads up, it must have helped those folks who read here and will certainly make us less sceptical in the future. Thank you for sharing the information re the weather as much as you are able to, it is proven to be accurate and much appreciated, Cheers Lyn xxx.

Me too kittie, I've been reading your weather report sharing for a while now and appreciate it because he's generally correct. I'm watching my forecast carefully and it's gone from no sign of anything wintery to 'wintery mix' for early next week. I suspect it will develop as time goes on.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Raksha wrote: »
    You haven't stopped the cold air going up. Cold air sinks, warm air rises.

Yes, but drafts are caused by warm air rising out of the roof and sucking cold air in at the bottom so surely blocking the cold air should help to reduce the loss of heat by convection? Science not my strong point but I've done something similar before and it definitely helps
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure