PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    A bnwt Cambridge Satchel Company satchel for £11.99. For a Christmas gift.

You lucky shopper!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    A bnwt Cambridge Satchel Company satchel for £11.99. For a Christmas gift.
    Floss wrote: »
    You lucky shopper!

Agree absolutely!

Present?

That bag would have a tag on that said "To me from Santa". :D
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2016 at 3:47PM
    Options
    Two finds this week.... from the hospice sale

Viyella, cream, wool/cotton mix shirt with contrast stitching. Was a size too big but such good quality I couldn't resist. Spent the afternoon stitching four small darts in the back and now it fits! £1.50

White Stuff, patterned smocky top in 2 shades of blue. Fits beautifully and it has pockets.....(I love pockets me!). 50p

and from the community chazza

Pair of B/N, wine coloured, patent loafer-type shoes by Avenue....really comfy £4

:):j:)
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    In Age UK last weekend, a mushroom coloured Hawkshead feather and down filled quilted body warmer, for £6.99. I nearly didn't try it on as it was a 12 (I'm generally a 14/16 up top), but it looked big enough so I did, and it fitted perfectly. However... there were several greasy looking marks all over the front, so I put it back on the rail.

The next day I went in again and it was still there. My little voice was giving me "meant for you" signals, so I tried it on again, inspected the greasy marks again, cheekily asked for a discount on account of the marks, to be told only the manager could authorise that and he wasn't in until the next day... and I was going away then.

Little voice was getting quite adamant, and eventually I decided to go for it. Worst case scenario I could wear it around the house in cold weather.

I gave it two 15 minute 30 degree washes, liberally dousing with pre-wash stain remover first, and almost all the marks came out. The remaining couple I have been rubbing with a soapy flannel, and they are barely visible now :beer: .

The funny thing is, I discovered concealed half zips in the neck (so there had been a hood that was missing), and in the armholes, so it apparently started off life as a jacket! Never mind, I am very happy with my find - it's good to go with your gut sometimes! I wore it on a short break during the week, and it kept me toasty warm on draughty station platforms.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have avoided chazzers of late but my mum came back with a couple of handbag bargains (including an evening Guess bag, not to my taste at all). I always wonder why people donate big everyday handbags though, can't help but think there must be something wrong with them else surely they'd still be used by the previous owners?

My most recent buy was 3 books for £1 that I'm enjoying atm - yes I've started all 3, when I finish them is anyone's guess :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I have avoided chazzers of late but my mum came back with a couple of handbag bargains (including an evening Guess bag, not to my taste at all). I always wonder why people donate big everyday handbags though, can't help but think there must be something wrong with them else surely they'd still be used by the previous owners?

My most recent buy was 3 books for £1 that I'm enjoying atm - yes I've started all 3, when I finish them is anyone's guess :D

Don't forget a lot of charity shop donations are made by relatives clearing out a loved one's home when they have gone into a care home, or passed away. We donated binbags full of perfectly good things when my parents' house was sold. So there isn't necessarily anything wrong with the items.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

And, of course, people 'overbuy' and that's why you end up with BNWT stuff in chazzers
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    ...I always wonder why people donate big everyday handbags though, can't help but think there must be something wrong with them else surely they'd still be used by the previous owners?

I've donated or Ebayed large bags over the years - when the kids grew up & I didn't need to carry all of their stuff: nappies /wipes /toys /snacks /drinks around with me, and when I had over time damaged a shoulder due to 35 years of carrying an overloaded big bag on that shoulder since starting high school!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • MoaningMyrtle
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Agree absolutely!

Present?

That bag would have a tag on that said "To me from Santa". :D

My niece will love it, it is not my colour (red). I have a royal blue one already.:D
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    No bargains here this week. I was looking forward to a look around my favourite local hospice shop as I had a spare half hour in town , but I was shocked at the price hike! Most of the tops, and I am talking Matalan, Peacocks etc were priced at £5.99. There were some lovely bits there but everything I picked up was over £5. I haven't been in there for a couple of months so I am not sure when the prices went up. The Salvation Army shop usually has very good prices but I didn't have time to check that out this week
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport