PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

lily pollen stains

Options

Comments

• newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    tim_n wrote: »
    unfortunately our cats do nothing but preene (and eat lillies) so we generally get home after they've washed it into attractive lines over their heads.

Unfortunately two of the three are paranoid of the hoover and hide as soon as it comes out of the cupboard. The third will remain comatose on the floor whilst you vacuum around it. It's perfectly possible (using the nozzle not the carpet cleaner) to suck his tail almost entirely up the hose and he just sits there and purs. Stupid thing.

*CAT OWNERS BEWARE*
    Lillies are highly poisonous to cats, and cause a slow, painful death. Unfortunately cats don't know this and think Lillies are irresistable.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • Adbru
    Adbru Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Looking for advice here, we have got lily pollen on our good sitting room carpet....

Advice on how to get it out without ruining the carpet :confused:

many thanks

Adbru

(p.s. Star-drops made it worse :eek: )
  • carlih1
    carlih1 Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    According to Anthea Turner you roll sellotape around you hand and pat it gently over the top of the pollen, if you rub it will NEVER come out!!!

Hope that helps you xxx
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Possibly too late to help this time, but getting it wet tends to 'set' it.

Fierce hoovering with the nozzle attachment works best.

The stain does fade with time.
  • Leopardlady
    Leopardlady Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My OH got lilly pollen on his shirt this morning and i don't what gets it out?:confused:
    I usually remove all pollen from the flowers but failed to this time.:o
    Any help will be very gratefully recieved. Thanks;)
    Leopardlady
    Got married on the 26th April 08!!!!!!!:j:T

Bumpy Bean was due 20th Nov 2010, born 15th Nov :j:j:T
  • huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Hi put cellotape over the mark to lift the pollen off.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My gran used to use the sticky tape, then she'd leave any more that was on it to dry and brush it off with a dry tissue. She screamed at me once not to put a wet cloth on it. Found this which might help.
    Dealing With Pollen Stains
    Have you ever walked away from sniffing lilies in the garden, only to find your nose has turned golden? Lily pollen can stain your skin or clothing if you rub against it. Warm soapy water will take take the stain off your skin, but don't make the mistake of wiping your clothes with a wet rag. It will only serve to spread and set the stain. Resist the urge to brush it off with your fingers, too. The oils from you skin will set the stain.

Here are ways to deal with pollen stains:

Let the pollen dry on your clothes, then brush it away with a dry soft brush or facial tissue or Gently dab the pollen with adhesive tape until it's removed. If some pollen remains, hanging the clothes in direct sunlight for two hours usually removes any traces. Pollen stains can also be removed from clothes by soaking the garments in an enzyme detergent.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • apples1
    apples1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    Help please......

Vase of flowers was knocked off the window sill. The pollen from the lillies landed on the cream carpet. Have tried wet cloth - no good, have tried 1001 - no good. I now just have a wet patch with pollen stains in the middle!

Any ideas?
    MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • apples1
    apples1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, forgive me i should have searched first!
    MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure