Money Moral Dilemma: How can I stop my friend 'forgetting' to buy rounds?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I'm going on a trip with friends to visit German Christmas markets. When we buy rounds one person always forgets when it’s their turn. I suggested starting a kitty, but another friend complained. What's the best way to keep things fair, so we can all enjoy the festive atmosphere?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could always just buy your own! A kitty is the most fair if you are all drinking similar priced drinks so why is the other friend unhappy? If not then make sure the round avoider is first in line.
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    True forgetfulness or just too mean to put their hands in their pockets?
    If it's the former, remind them when it's their turn.
    If it's the latter and having a kitty isn't acceptable to the rest of the group, buy your own drinks.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rounds are rubbish. There will always be one who has an urgent need to visit the loo when it's their turn to buy. I have ditched all of them now. They are awful stingy people.

Throw a tenner each into a glass and go from there. That's what we do wherever we go.

It needs topping up at this time of year though lol. But no one escapes.

Non drinkers (designated drivers) get free soft drinks in our pub. That's nice isn't it.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Do the rest of your group of friends agree with you that 'one person always forgets'? If so, the group should insist that person buys the first round. If they don't agree with you, then you need to rethink your options, including maybe buying your own drinks. Personally, I drink quite slowly, savouring a gin&tonic with maybe a second one later in the evening, I don't like those over-priced too sweet cocktails, so when I do go out with a group, I always get my own, and everyone knows this. But I'm not stingy - if it's a birthday, I always buy the birthday person a drink, and if it's bottles of wine, pay my share.

The point is, I already had this discussion with friends and we've worked out the best way to accommodate everyone from the slow sippers like me to the pile 'em high and chug-a-lug types like a few in my circle. Talk to your friends before you go away!
  • AnneMary
    Options
    Like most of these "moral dilemmas" the answer is communication. Talk to your friends; Have an honest conversation.

Personally, I think the kitty is the way to go and if there are objections find out why and look for a compromise. Gloriouslyhappy (above) has good tips.
  • Big_Ot
    Big_Ot Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Say there are ten of you going on the trip. Each writes on a slip of paper who they choose to buy the first round. Throw them in a hat and then announce the decision.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buy your own drinks. That way everybody can drink what/when they want - and they're not waiting for somebody else to buy them a drink... and that person could be feeling "forced into drinking more than they want" because of rounds.

I'd ban rounds if I were in charge. They are a way for alcoholics to bully slow/non drinkers into "drinking more/drink quickly it's your round".

Be adults. Buy your own drinks. Take your own responsibility - and don't allow secret alcoholics to hide behind the mask of "rounds".

I'll typically drink, say, ½ a cider down the pub, while drinkers sink 3 fat pints and a chaser..... I stay out of rounds.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    People who try to save money like this are not friends, they are leeches. Cut them out of your life. There is no other advice.
    Pants
  • Mdg_2
    Mdg_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 December 2017 at 10:20AM
    Options
    I drink in several different groups with differing payment methods. Where we all drink about the same speed and similar value products, we buy in rounds. Easily remembered as we go by alphabetical first initial, then if one forgets, someone in the group says ‘who got the last round’ and we take it from there...the next in the round usually gets the hint before someone else points it out to them. If the rounds cycle back to the start & someone buys a 2nd round, the next time we go out together, we use the same principle. You quickly become familiar with who you follow in the group, and who comes next after you!

Other groups have different speed drinkers and buy their own. I often drink water between rounds (Drs advice) so ‘going Dutch’ suits me here.

In another group (boating trips) we have lightweights, ‘par’ and heavy drinkers. Here, we all put £20 in the kitty then buy rounds, each adding further £20 as the kitty runs down. If we all have a beer, nothing is written down. If someone has a half or skips a round, they get a credit. If someone has another beer between rounds, they get marked as an ‘extra’. At the end of the trip we divide any remaining cash balance after adjusting for extras (putting more £ in) and credits (more cash out). In practice, money does not change hands but offsets costs elsewhere for boat hire, food purchases etc. A simple spreadsheet keeps track. After a year of boat trips, beer exploring abroad, etc, typically < £200 actually moves around the group.
  • archie1411
    Options
    When it comes time for them to buy a round, just tell them it's their turn - no need to be nasty about it. You could even make a joke about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure