Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Options

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We rely on the 100mb/s for streaming as we don't have tv. We aren't looking to reduce speed.

Even 4k UHD only needs 25Mb.

https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/what-broadband-speed-do-i-need-for-skype/

I suppose if you are watching four 4k streams at once, then you may need 100mMb.
  • Virgin_haggler
    Options
    Fair enough. Still not looking to change though.
    Is there any point moaning about the new customer offer being better value and emphasizing customer loyalty, etc?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there any point moaning about the new customer offer being better value and emphasizing customer loyalty, etc?

Reading the other posts on here, probably not.

It appears that you really need to threaten to cancel (or actually do it) to get a better deal.

Hence the reason for getting prices from other providers, even if you have no intention of going to them.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Every year I find out what competitors using BT's fibre are offering and tell Virgin that. Doesn't matter if the alternative is a bit slower, just say you can live with it for the price. You've little intention of leaving anyway, but it is usually enough to get you a reasonable offer to keep your custom. May involve a new 12 month contract though, so bear that in mind.
    Works for me. :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone managed to get a good existing customer deal on broadband and phone in a cabled area recently?

I just tried with a first general enquiry and was offered 12 month discounts around the 25% mark off standard prices. That didn't seem very generous to me, especially looking at new customer prices elsewhere.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi EachPenny

Have a look at the recent posts in the Virgin Retentions thread. I seem to recall someone posting £21 per month for phone and broadband which was offered by Outbound Retentions.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Eachpenny, I got decent deal in March. 70Mbps/M+ Tivo and weekends landline for a total of 31 quid a month for 12 months.
  • Dobbiesox
    Options
    I have been with Virgin for many years and have phoned them annually to renegotiate my monthly bill. I haggled each year because I could not afford the continual price rises over the years. So last year, to reduce my package, I got rid of the extra Tivo box and later in the year I managed to get a £13 discount (£10 loyalty discount and £3 extra discount) for the phone, Medium + TV and broadband bundle and a £20 refund in my account. The £10 discount finished in Mar 17 so my current monthly payment is now £52.48 which in my view is expensive since I don't use the phone line and Virgin make it more expensive if you have a bundle without a phone line! That aside, on the whole, they were always good at renegotiating their deals which is why I stayed with them. However today, after phoning and speaking to the retention team, my view has changed. It is clear that Virgin has its customers at a disadvantage because VM can offer faster download speeds than any of their competitors, meaning that customers have no option but to stay with VM if they want to maintain the speed they have grown used to and pay whatever price increases virgin puts into effect. In my view they are taking advantage of their current superior status by ignoring customer loyalty and opting to hike their prices. I phoned twice today and spoke to two different people. The negotiating was extremely disappointing because there wasn't any. I tried every angle but they would not budge!!- Here's the offers: Firstly, they no longer do my TV package but can offer me a bundle, with less TV channels than I presently have, called Mix TV for £49 per month. Mmmm if my Maths serves me correctly that's a £3.48 difference between what I pay now and what I could be paying if I get the new deal with less TV channels - Apparently this includes a discounted rate too, since I am such a "loyal customer!" Alternatively, I could have broadband with phone line at £38 or broadband only at £32.25! New customers are being offered £42 month for faster gaming package, broadband and TV and Virgin seem more than happy for their existing client base to go elsewhere or pay more for less by staying with them!! On a final note: I was informed by a customer service advisor today that their discounts could change on a daily basis. So, perhaps if I phone in a couple of days time, change my accent and wear a false beard, I may get a better deal!! Or maybe I should cancel and then join as a new customer (wear a false tash this time). Ok! I can't help being disgruntled, but I don't like companies twisting and changing their packages constantly, then offering me less, at higher prices and confusing their consumers with packages which are not clear and straight forward.
    Lastly, In all the years I have been with Virgin, every time I negotiated a discount and received a price drop, I could guarantee that within a couple of months or so, a letter would arrive saying how they are increasing their prices by a few pounds to improve their service! I look forward to the day when Virgin competitors introduce a superior internet connection and can go head to head again! Or may I should not care and move to the Himalayas, rear Yaks, read books and write good old fashioned letters! One thing I can be sure of is that my days of being loyal to companies such as Virgin are numbered, especially when I don't feel valued!
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems like going in with the attitude that you are entitled to a discount is likely counterproductive.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dobbiesox wrote: »
    It is clear that Virgin has its customers at a disadvantage because VM can offer faster download speeds than any of their competitors, meaning that customers have no option but to stay with VM if they want to maintain the speed they have grown used to and pay whatever price increases virgin puts into effect.

And I'd wager that most of them don't even need that speed and wouldn't notice if they 'downgraded' to fibre (or even ADSL in some cases).

It's a triumph of advertising over common sense.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback