PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seriously SCARY situation

Options

Comments

• Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I think at some point, you should tell him about the charity shop so he can go there. You needn't tell him that the war collection has gone - just point him in the direction of the charity shop. Even getting some of his stuff back could mean a lot to him once the furore of legal stuff has gone down.

You did nothing wrong re taking boxes to charity shop as you did ask the conveyancers/estate agents earlier. It would be seriously a nice act of kindness.
  • Zeni
    Zeni Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, can't make this kind of thing up! I would tell your solicitors/his about the boxes and get them to pass it on, I don't think its your responsibility to say it to him face to face as you didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't have to deal with any fallout from that. What a horrible situation to be stuck in!!

(Me and my OH used a online conveyancer and its made me realise how easy it could of been for me, I was the one who talked to them on the phone and via email and gave the go ahead for exchange so really they never talked to my OH only had his ID and signatures on docs that I had sent)
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
  • cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    Options
    Something else.. If he comes back, you need to not let him in and advise that any correspondence should be via your solicitor.

He cannot keep turning up at your house. Technically that's harassment.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yeah agree with the above.. bit surprised he turned up again to be honest.... but would point him to official channels if he tries again. His story with that house lies elsewhere now.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    cjmillsnun wrote: »
    Something else.. If he comes back, you need to not let him in and advise that any correspondence should be via your solicitor.

Agree that you'd better not let him in if he turns up again.

The facts in law are that he is no longer part-owner of the house. But he never sold his share (ie having been tricked out of it by his ex) and is still part-owner iyswim and so if he turns up with a couple of drinks inside him reinforcing the "actual facts" as compared to the "legal facts" then you could have a problem with him losing his temper.

He knows logically it's your house now and the law would agree with you - but emotionally it is still part his iyswim and a couple of drinks later that is what he might go with.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    cjmillsnun wrote: »

It's only harassment if it's conduct which the OP doesn't enable.
  • Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Yeah, don't talk to him, but do tell their solicitor about the local shop that you gave the goods too. I think that's important.
  • BlessedNotStressed
    BlessedNotStressed Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2017 at 2:26PM
    Options
    The latest instalment in this ridiculous saga: I hav fessed up about the attic boxes and charity shop etc. He was raging and threatening to sue us apparently - my solicitor doesn't think he'll have a leg to standing on and, frankly, my sympathy well is running dry for this knuckle-dragging Rambo wannabe. I am considering suing someone for embroiling my family and I into this stressful and upsetting situation. Does anyone know whether we'd have any form of redress against the female owner or her solicitors?
  • Ithaca
    Ithaca Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you had a chat with your local Neighbourhood Policing team? This guy sounds like he has anger issues and doesn't sound like the sort of person to stay away even after he's been asked. The last thing you need is him either continuing to take it out on your (blameless) family, or thinking "if I can't have the house no-one else can" and doing something daft.

It might be worth a quick word with your local police just to let them know the situation so that if you do ever need to give them a call (fingers crossed it'll never come to it) at least they'll be forewarned and you won't get into a protracted discussion with the responding officers about whether you should be in the house or not.

If he's known to the police already they may also have a proactive word with him.

Your frustration and anger are understandable, but I would focus on getting this whole thing behind you rather than tying yourself up for months in legal disputes. I can't see how he'd get anywhere with a claim over the stuff in the loft - he'd have to prove (1) the value of the items left in the boxes and (2) that you acted unreasonably in getting rid of them, neither of which seem remotely likely. People can sue for any reason but that's not the same thing as winning!
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    The latest instalment in this ridiculous saga: I hav fessed up about the attic boxes and charity shop etc. He was raging and tretanig to sue us apparently - my solicitor doesn't think he'll have a leg to standing on and, frankly, my sympathy well is running dry for this knuckle-dragging Rambo wannabe. I am considering suing someone for embroiling my family and I into this stressful and upsetting situation. Does anyone know whether we'd have any form of redress against the female owner or her solicitors?

No, because the situation is of your own making.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure