Making chicken feed of my mortgage

Options

Comments

• muddywhitechicken
    Options
    My maths may be squiffy, but I think that almonds and cashews might be cheaper per 100g in aldee... (Though that might just be comparing my sainz with my aldee.)

We don't have an Aldi :( but I must remember to check out Lidl next time I need to stock up.

I picked up some good YSs in WR this evening including 4 avocados (2 ready to eat, 2 ripen at home) for 79p and spinach at 19p/bag for The Girls and I used another £8 off a £40 spend coupon.

I definitely need an early night tonight. Mr MWC needed to be at the airport at 04:30 so the alarm went off at 03:30 this morning :eek:
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    muddy - I can't remember if you have access to a h0me bargins. They too have the similar foil packed nuts that mrL and mrAl have - they are sometimes cheaper too. I think apple is right though, i think per 100g, the nuts from these sources are cheaper. And, sometimes, in more manageable quantities, given some nuts propensity to go rancid. Do you store unused nuts in the freezer?

Envious of your avocado bargains :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £144.39/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • muddywhitechicken
    Options
    Yes, we have two Greying! I tend to go in there in a rush and buy specific things (spinach, meal worms & sunflower seeds for The Girls and Vaseline body lotion and New Berry Fruits for Mr MWC!!!) rather than browse. I'll browse next time :)
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, we have two Greying! I tend to go in there in a rush and buy specific things (spinach, meal worms & sunflower seeds for The Girls and Vaseline body lotion and New Berry Fruits for Mr MWC!!!) rather than browse. I'll browse next time :)

Ooooo New Berry Fruits. That takes me back to when I was little and my Nana would buy us a box each for Christmas.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Adore New Berry Fruits and can't understand why they are so hard to track down. H B don't always have them and trendy sweet shops charge the earth.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • muddywhitechicken
    Options
    Another keeper of a recipe from HFW's new book :T We had parsnip, sprout & chestnut hotpot with cider for dinner :drool: (sorry, I can't find it online) and followed it with HM rice pudding served with rum-soaked raisins. Unsurprisingly, I'm stuffed!

It's been a very lazy weekend :)
  • muddywhitechicken
    Options
    I had a meeting with my IFA this morning :)

My retirement savings pot (S&S ISA/GIA/2 x pensions/shares excl. my share of the house) is currently worth ~£250,000 :)

14% growth over the past year for my S&S ISA :T
    (although Mr MWC has been dabbling with a similar amount of money in his cofunds S&S ISA and has made 15%!!!)

I committed to investing another £500/month so I definitely need to tighten my belt now.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How big do you want/need your pot to be? And how long do you have to fill it? (Sorry if you've said this somewhere in the previous 5908 posts...)
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • muddywhitechicken
    Options
    How big do you want/need your pot to be? And how long do you have to fill it? (Sorry if you've said this somewhere in the previous 5908 posts...)

No idea Apple :o IFA is going to do me some projections.
    I'll be 47 in January. I don't want to be working in my current job (or FT in any job actually) when I'm 55 but I won't need to take my pension then.
  • muddywhitechicken
    Options
    We visited Tilly (& Mr Tilly & Miss Tilly & Master Tilly & the dogs) this weekend :j
    She is half the woman she was in the summer and looks fabulous :T
    I need to get fitter and lose weight (walking up a [STRIKE]mountain[/STRIKE] hill this morning was much harder than it used to be although that might have been lack of food :p)
    8 weeks to Christmas so I need to set myself some goals...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family