Charged 59 Days After Transaction?!?

Options

Comments

• bengal-stripe
    Options
    Karnage wrote: »
    I'm not asking because i can't afford the transaction, just that I find charging me so long after the event cheeky!

Actually, it's you who has gained an interest-free loan for almost two months.

Why are you complaining?
  • Karnage
    Options
    Actually, it's you who has gained an interest-free loan for almost two months.

Why are you complaining?

I'm complaining because I didn't ask for an interest-free loan for almost two months. I did expect accurate and correct statements to reflect my monthly spending. They didn't even appear as pending transactions!
  • bengal-stripe
    Options
    You receive a cheque from someone, for whatever reason you forgot to bank it. After four months you come across the cheque again and realize your mistake.

What would you do - bank it or bin it?
  • Karnage
    Options
    You receive a cheque from someone, for whatever reason you forgot to bank it. After four months you come across the cheque again and realize your mistake.

What would you do - bank it or bin it?

I've never written or had a cheque in my entire life, so I would look at it with a confused face.

Besides a cheque from someone isn't the same, its valid for 6 months, its also between two individuals.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Karnage wrote: »
    Besides a cheque from someone isn't the same, its valid for 6 months

Which is the same as your credit card authorisation.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    how it can be acceptable for them to be so negligent

I don't agree with you that it's negligent (and more importantly neither does the law).
    In the old days it was possible for a till roll to fall behind something.
    These days it's physically different, but it's possible for a digital transactions not to get transferred. That's not negligence, it's life.
    how can I be expected to remember I even made the transaction?

Try a spreadsheet.
    Are you saying you don't keep your own records? How do you know if there has been fraud?
    I don't expect free goods, just merchants processing transactions within an acceptable time.

6 months (as an outlier) is an acceptable time. That's not a normal timescale, that's the max when there has been a delay.

You sound like a petulant child because things are not to you liking.
    Well in this case - it tough !!
    The industry isn't going to change because you're being petulant.
  • Karnage
    Options
    Which is the same as your credit card authorisation.

Nope.

The information in respect of a cheque is easy to find and as a consumer I am fully aware of the 6 months validity of a written cheque.

The information for how long a credit card authorisation is valid for, I can't find anywhere. If you can point me to a source that says they are the same thing. I will happily go away.

So at this point as a consumer I am trying to learn how long a credit card authorisation is valid for and by law or financial regulation what is the final day it can be claimed.
  • Karnage
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Try a spreadsheet.
    Are you saying you don't keep your own records? How do you know if there has been fraud?

I view my credit card statements, if I question anything I generally just check my phone gps for that day to see if I was in that particular area. If online I would have emails.
    lisyloo wrote: »
    6 months (as an outlier) is an acceptable time. That's not a normal timescale, that's the max when there has been a delay.

Point to a source that says this.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Did you query with your credit card company and/or the merchant as to why payment had not been taken and offer to settle your account?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I view my credit card statements, if I question anything I generally just check my phone gps for that day to see if I was in that particular area. If online I would have emails.

Personally I don't think that's thorough enough and you're opening yourself up to fraud.
    Up to you of course, but I keep a record of every transaction in a excel spreadsheet which is on dropbox and reconcile to my statements.
    Point to a source that says this.

I can certainly point you to the statute of limitations that says a debt is owed for 6 years, so EVEN if your credit card payment expired you'd still owe the money for 6 years.
    There you go
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitation_Periods_in_the_UK

If you're not happy complain to the company concerned, but I doubt you'll acheive anything,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure