Solar energy - Feed-in Tariff payment delays - your experiences?

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It would seem E-On have finally got their act together after the debacle of the last few months :)

I phoned them on Monday morning to check that I was on 'the new system' and gave them my quarterly meter reading.
    Money arrived in account this morning - just 4 days! :T
    Can't grumble at that!

Hello Jackie

Thanks for that information. I am due to ring in my first meter reading today. I will also check that I am on the new system.

Lets see if they have got their act together. Can't wait!!!!

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 August 2012 at 11:58AM
    Options
    battelaxe wrote: »
    Yes, you are absolutely right. However another poor mug has told me that they have discovered the following

So the Royal Mail are telling porkies. One of my co-mugs is still pursuing Royal Mail, and has a fully loaded solicitor. I wish him luck for all of us, but I am still pursuing the option that OFGEM have introduced the concept of the acceptability of late applications. Let's hope that one of us wins before my blood pressure gives me a heart attack or stroke.

Once upon a time, not that long ago - I found myself "between jobs" - so rather than engage in that pointless task of "signing on", I became a self employed "hire car and/or courier driver". Fairly regular work would be trying to pick up the pieces for a well known package/parcel company (No it was not Royal Mail).

For a price the punter using such companies can opt for an enhanced service of by 10:00 by Noon or Next Day.
    By the time I got called in it was probably too late to achieve anything but Next Day.
    Obviously this was a 5/95 situation - I would get the difficult jobs that had been overlooked, put on the wrong in house van, or were for a farm at the back of beyond.
    I did not get one of those "tablet" things for a signature that knows where you are, what time it is (and what I had for breakfast?).
    I might have stolen it and anyway the parcel company would have had to pay for my delivering it back to them - I was ace at getting a scribble from some bored receptionist and leaving the time blank;).

I also had to deal with phone calls from parcel head office like:

"This is an emergency for consignment aaa-xxxx. They want it urgently".

"The time is now 15:30 and I am in the Intergalactic Science Park (posh name for a new factory estate) with 10 deliveries still to make including 4 "before noons". So you tell me which of these you don't want delivered and I will break off and make a 2 hour diversion to the back of beyond? While you are making that decision ask "back of beyond" what time they shut for the day and /or suggest an alternative late delivery address".

You probably would not be amazed at how many urgent deliveries are no longer urgent, when the recipient is risking getting home to a cold supper.

I particularly remember an occasion that unravelled:

"Here is the urgent packet "(self evidently documents of some sort).

"It is a "before 10:00" and that address is in the next county. If I get a move on it should be there before noon."

"Before you go we have some other packages for out there in the loading bay"

By the time I had finished faffing about with the loading bay staff another 20 minutes had gone by.

The delivery address turned out to be a town centre council office (plenty of named parking for self important staff but double yellow lines for front door deliveries).

"We don't sign for anything (Like HMRC) but you can stamp your paperwork with the machine on the end of the counter"

Oh dear it was a tender, with a noon deadline, and the machine printed 12:15.
  • RoxyK
    RoxyK Posts: 2,245 Forumite
    Options
    With the benefit of hindsight I think one of the lessons learned here is to pick a FiT supplier that accepts applications via email (scanned documents) so that you can call up to confirm receipt of the documents, particularly if a deadline for a given tariff rate is looming.

Ah if only this worked.......I chose Good Energy as they accepted email applications and mine was duly sent before the end March......but it was never checked and processed so when they finally decided to check it (I'd already called and been told on the phone it seemed fine!) it wasn't correct. They refused to backdate it to the date received but insisted on the new 'correctly received' date. Luckily it didn't affect the rate but it did mean I need a EPC.....and I hit the roof. They couldn't budge but it turned out I actually already had one from when we bought the property a few years before.

Any on that note it's over 2 months since I submitted my FIT reading, no sign of payment. Anyone else had payment from Good Energy yet?
    16 x Sanyo HIT 240w panels, 3.84kWp, south facing, 30 degree slope in the SW, 4.4 Eltek HE-t inverter installed 27/03/12 :D
  • edwink
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    Hello Jackie

Thanks for that information. I am due to ring in my first meter reading today. I will also check that I am on the new system.

Lets see if they have got their act together. Can't wait!!!!

Edwink

UPDATE regarding our meter reading to eon

Just phoned Eon to give meter reading and to see if we are on the new system. They confirmed that we are. So far so good.

Next gave meter reading, which they accepted and was told we will get our payment within 7 to 10 days. I said "so that will go straight into our bank account". The Eon represenitive said "we do not seem to have your bank account details, I am sure it would have been on your application though, so I could find it and add the missing details to your account. So I offered her our bank details again as I did not want it to hold up our long awaited first payment. So I gave her the details there and then. She then said because they did not have our bank details on our account our first payment will be made within 10-15 working days.

As we had the pvs installed in Feb and have not had to give a meter reading until today. I totally forgot to give 2 readings, one being upto 31st March and the other for up till now. I actually remembered whilst I was talking to her on the phone. I said that I should of given her 2 readings. She said the reading up to 31st March would be estimated as she could not now enter another reading. But, if I wanted to give the correct reading up to March 31st over the phone there and then they would have to close our account down and set it up all over again. I promptly said NO THANK YOU, I would rather have it estimated. But I asked her to put a note on our account of the 31st March reading anyway, which she did.

So anyone who is with Eon please check that they have your bank details on your account when giving your first meter reading.

Will keep you updated as to when we receive our first payment.

Ed
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hiya Ed, just a thought - as your system was underperforming originally, when you had the 10 panels in one string, I wonder if they'll apply too many units to pre April?

Imagine your system had generated nothing at the beginning, Eon would still assume generation was spread evenly performance wise (obviously they'd take differing solar levels in to account, but assume your system was performing at the same efficiency throughout).

See what they come out with. EDF over estimated our generation for pre April, but it really didn't work out as much money, less than a pound if I recall, since the 4.8% inflation is only ..... well .... 4.8%!

All the best

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • edwink
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya Ed, just a thought - as your system was underperforming originally, when you had the 10 panels in one string, I wonder if they'll apply too many units to pre April?

Imagine your system had generated nothing at the beginning, Eon would still assume generation was spread evenly performance wise (obviously they'd take differing solar levels in to account, but assume your system was performing at the same efficiency throughout).

See what they come out with. EDF over estimated our generation for pre April, but it really didn't work out as much money, less than a pound if I recall, since the 4.8% inflation is only ..... well .... 4.8%!

Mart.

Hello Mart

I am sure there will be only a few pence in it. We will just have to wait and see.

Will keep you posted. Thanks

Ed
  • battelaxe
    battelaxe Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Hi John, I hear ya!

The latest is that I finally got to the right Dept in Ofgem. They rang me back and I calmly read through their FIT Eligibility document with them. They pointed out what others have on here and elsewhere have; "it has to do with meter readings". I agreed, because after all it is to do with meter readings. She was happy...

Then I said "However, it is an acknowledgement of your general acceptance that the Royal Mail are fallible, and that Ofgem has advised Licensees that a reasonable postal delay (5 working days) should be allowed. Could you please tell me if a postal delay is acceptable or not. If it is, then it should be acceptable for ALL eligibility issues, or if not for none at all", could you please comment.

The silence was palpable, so I asked for her comment again. She told me to put it in an email. Seems encouraging to me. ;)
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Hence the common law that says it is the date of the post mark that counts!
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 August 2012 at 12:58PM
    Options
    battelaxe wrote: »
    Then I said "However, it is an acknowledgement of your general acceptance that the Royal Mail are fallible, and that Ofgem has advised Licensees that a reasonable postal delay (5 working days) should be allowed. Could you please tell me if a postal delay is acceptable or not. If it is, then it should be acceptable for ALL eligibility issues, or if not for none at all", could you please comment.

Some years ago I was taken to court for a 'breach of contract'. I won the case on the basis that I claimed that I had cancelled the contract in a letter, and posted that letter to the claimant. The claimant stated they had not recieved it. The ruling was 'when a letter is posted, you expect it to be delivered'. I would say if you have a postal receipt, you have made reasonable steps to ensure its delivery within the 5 day deadline. :)
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • rockbird
    Options
    Eon's terrible payment system.
    I haven’t been paid for my reading on 10th April. That is 5+ months. I have had acceptance replies to my submission emails. The one in April said that it could take up to 45 days because they were installing an automated system!
    When I phoned them on the at the end of June chasing it they said that it would be a”few more weeks”. I mentioned that that I would shortly be submitting my next quarter’s reading (on the 2nd July) to which they said that it would go in to the new system and would be paid very quickly. 42 days have now passed and that payment as not been received either.
    I sent an email stating that if they did not pay within the next 7 days I would take the matter to the Energy Ombudsman. I got an automatic reply stating that it could take longer than 10 days to reply. They have taken longer than 20 days and nothing heard. I have therefore taken the matter to the Ombudsman.
    If that doesn’t bring any result I shall simply apply for a summons in the small claims court.
    It is my opinion that they are playing the cash-flow game with our money. If we hadn’t paid our electricity bill for that period of time they would have already cut off supply and taken us to court.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback