No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December

Options

Comments

• indiepanda
    Options
    Catriona_P wrote: »
    Exactly the same for me. Looking at my UU/IN list this year I can tell exactly when I was having a rough time and what happened at those points. L'Occitane is my source of temptation too!

This month is flying by. My OH also said I'm not getting what I asked for from him for xmas, rosemary. :( Our couples counselling with Relate has finished (against my wishes but he said he 'didn't have any more annual leave to spend on sessions', which is a total lie). There's no safety net anymore so I'm a bit on edge. Coupled with my next big exam in mid-January, I'm a bag of nerves!

Sounds like a really challenging situation to get through, so hard to know what to do when someone won't tell you the truth. Hope you manage to find a way to get him to carry on with the counselling.

I swing between thinking I need to focus on sorting out the underlying problems that I am comforting myself over by buying things so that the spending stops and thinking I have to accept that no matter what I do new problems will come along and I need to find a more constructive way of dealing with them than filling my home with stuff I don't need and further fattening up my body with calories it doesn't need.

Whilst over the last year I feel like I've had more than my fair share of problems (the situation with my OH is just part of it), I can't honestly claim the toiletry habit started this year. I think it started twenty years ago with Yves Rocher special offers when I was at university. It's then grown over the years in both volume and in terms of average price of products bought as my income has grown and I've gone from living in one room in a shared house as a student (i.e. limited space) to owning my own 3 bedroom house.

I know they say recognising one has an issue is half the battle, but if I am honest I am pretty aware of what my issues are, and not very good at fighting the other half of the battle to actually get them under control!

Oh well, I am determined I will keep this one under control for this month, and each month I can prove to myself that I can survive without shopping will give me strength to do the next one.
  • indiepanda
    Options
    moromir wrote: »
    Ooh I'm jealous you live near a Wholefoods indiepanda! I always have to make my own almond butter when I'm in one :D

Oooh, I haven't tried that. I'm not that close to one - when I go it's to either the one at Piccadilly Circus or near Clapham Junction, both of which are about 6-7 miles away. Wish there was a nearer one - in London, that distance tends to mean a good hour by public transport.
  • moromir
    moromir Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh I'm in Chelmsford so its not close for me either - I've only been to the Piccadilly Circus one and I try to pop in for a treat when I can :D

They do make your own peanut butter too!
  • Tater
    Tater Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I've just caught up on the thread after a lovely long weekend in Budapest. I did manage to not buy any toiletries but a few hotel minis may have slipped in to my bag!

Big hugs sent to all those that need them - some of you seem to be having a really hard time at the moment.

One UU to report: GHD thermal protector spay. I got this 2 years ago free with GHDs and I love. It smells divine and I WBA again. It has been replaced with a Lee Stafford Poker Straight.
  • Tater
    Tater Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    We also went to an amazing spa and I had a fantastic massage which worked out at £12.12 for half an hour - why can't they be that cheap here!
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    indiepanda wrote: »
    I swing between thinking I need to focus on sorting out the underlying problems that I am comforting myself over by buying things so that the spending stops and thinking I have to accept that no matter what I do new problems will come along and I need to find a more constructive way of dealing with them than filling my home with stuff I don't need and further fattening up my body with calories it doesn't need.

Indiepanda, great that you managed to see you GP today and get a prescription, hope you start to feel a bit better soon.

When I joined this challenge I started to put aside £1 for every item I use up, I currently have £88 in my pot which I will be using to save up for a spa weekend. I am not earning an awful lot at the moment so I have to be careful what I spend my money on anyway and if I feel tempted to buy toiletries I think off my pot and the special treat I will buy with it and most of the time I can resist the temptation. I hope you soon find your own way to stop yourself buying things.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Tater wrote: »
    We also went to an amazing spa and I had a fantastic massage which worked out at £12.12 for half an hour - why can't they be that cheap here!

Tater, I also wish massages were that cheap over here. Hope you had a great time in Budapest, I have heard so many great things about that place. Hopefully one day I manage to get there too.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My Elemis TSV arrived today too. Haven't opened anything except the Evening Blooms oil which smells heavenly.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • kiplingmonkey
    Options
    Becky_2 wrote: »
    When I joined this challenge I started to put aside £1 for every item I use up, I currently have £88 in my pot which I will be using to save up for a spa weekend. I am not earning an awful lot at the moment so I have to be careful what I spend my money on anyway and if I feel tempted to buy toiletries I think off my pot and the special treat I will buy with it and most of the time I can resist the temptation. I hope you soon find your own way to stop yourself buying things.

Becky - I do this too and have now got £205 saved since January. It is really good to see the cash mount up. I want an Ipad so will keep going into next year too.

Tater - your holiday sounds great, especially the spa treat.

My Amaryua arrived today so I have 5 INs -

INS (Amarya) in white

Sophyto Balancing Daily Moisturiser, 15ml
    Sophyto Purifying Silken Cleanser, 15ml
    Sophyto Dual Action Exfoliating Treatment, 10ml
    Neom Complete Bliss Bath Oil, 5ml
    Undergreen White Classic Addition Perfume Sample, 1ml

And another UU for the month -

LE intensive nourishing treatment - used this as a handmask to try and soften up my dry hands. I really like using it for this purpose but not too keen on it for the face. This was a little old and the smell had gone a bit funny - Mr KM commented that whatever I had on my hands smelt of vomit! It wasn't a great smell but not that bad, honest...:o
  • rosemary54
    rosemary54 Posts: 2,495 Forumite
    Options
    OMG just had my shellac manicure....rock star red WOW am loving it so Christmassy:):):):):)can't imagine wearing it any other time of the year tho:rotfl:but therapist did say one lady of 75 is working her way through the colours as thye make her feel good.cost me £28 and is supposed to last two weeks so great value.bought OH a facial for "stressed skin due to constant travel"
    cost £60 ...mmmm is he worth it????already spent a lot on him oh well(no idea what I will get)booked myself a happy colours facial for next week on my birthday but won't tell him or I can imagine he would say he'd pay for it for my present!!!!(have been hinting i am out of Opium...perfume not drug!!!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure