A payment a day............

Options

Comments

• Miss_314
    Miss_314 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, I confess...I've been avoiding this thread this week and feel ashamed I did my usual payment a day on Sunday (though couldn't get on the boards to mark it off :confused: ) but I got paid on Monday and my employers seriously underpaid me (their fault..not mine but their attitude is "prove it" and as they have/had my clocking card and won't show me as it's apparently been destroyed now, I can't prove anything :mad: ) so anyway, I've been struggling as a result all week.

Thankfully I get paid weekly and everything should be fine this week but thanks to being underpaid last week and my mother deciding that she was going to buy a new garden fence which she didn't have the money for (she still doesn't realise that if she can't afford it, she can't have it) i've had to pull out over £100 for it which has pushed me into my (thankfully, interest free) student overdraft. So now i'm about £140 into my overdraft as opposed to last week when I was in credit and quite upset that i'm in this position as I thought I was making progess with my mother and sorting out her debts (the credit card in my signature is hers, not mine).

I'm actually working quite a few hours this weekend so I'm going to start up the payment a day again on monday when I get paid again...only this time I'm going to put it towards my own overdraft now instead of my mother's credit card. I know it doesn't make much sense when my overdraft is interest free and her credit card is at about 23% but I don't really think she's learning anything at the moment about budgeting and I don't want to bail her out everytime she buys something she can't afford; otherwise she'll just keep on doing it. Am I wrong? :confused:

Anyway, I just wanted to rant...sorry about that. I know I probably seem quite selfish in my attitude towards her but i'm just a bit frustrated right now... Anyway. I still have £6 in my tin and I'm hoping to get paid about £70 on monday so I'll pop some of that in the bank. Hopefully in about 3 weeks the overdraft will be clear and I can get started on the credit card again. :T

Welll done to everyone who is still able to keep up to date with their payments every day even though I know some of you are in a lot worse situations than myself (well, my mother & myself) but we all have the same goal to be debt free and I know I'm sure as heck looking forward to achieving that :o I'll just need to start trying harder.
  • frasersmum123
    Options
    Sorry things are not going well Miss_314, My DH is just the same!
    Moving on up :o SPC #382 ~ £40 banked
    12k in 2016 #15. £541.91/£3000
  • Miss_314
    Options
    Thanks frasersmum. I may be showing my ignorance here, but what is a 'DH'? Sorry, I'm rather new to forums. Is it a person?
  • Hopeful1
    Hopeful1 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Miss_314 wrote: »
    Thanks frasersmum. I may be showing my ignorance here, but what is a 'DH'? Sorry, I'm rather new to forums. Is it a person?

Darling / dear husband :rolleyes:

Miss_314 you are not being selfish. You are not responsible for your mom. As a mom myself, it makes me sad that you are having to do the looking after and feeling responsible for. You are right to sort out your own money and VERY well done, for managing your finances so well.

Is it not futile to repay your mom's credit card whilst she still has access to it? Would she not destroy it or at least surrender it to you to 'look after'?

Don't be so hard on yourself, your mom should be proud of you.

Take care ;)
    One step at a time ;)
  • Double_Trouble
    Options
    Hi Miss_314

I think you are a lovely daughter but I agree with Hopeful1 that you need to look after your own finances first. You seem to be doing a really good job. You are not doing your Mom any favours she needs to face reality. Is there anybody that your Mom trusts who could talk to her and explain how she needs to be in control of her own finances? I know it's hard when you love someone but sometimes you need to get tough for their sakes.

Hope you have a better week with your wages this week.

Love Mandy xx
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Miss-314
    Hard to deal with I expect when its not a mess of your own making but its your mum. I think you're doing really well and hopefully your mum will start to take responsibility for her own stuff - I've found reading the threads on this website really opened the eyes of a couple of people who couldn't face up to their problems, would that be worth a try?

Purple posting - I pay my water by Direct debit (United Utilities) so I'm sure whoever provides yours would do likewise.

Have a good weekend all - and an extra hour in bed on Sunday (please someone tell my kids!).
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• Miss_314
    Options
    For fear of hi-jacking the thread, I'll just quickly address a few things...
    Hopeful1 wrote: »
    Is it not futile to repay your mom's credit card whilst she still has access to it? Would she not destroy it or at least surrender it to you to 'look after'?

She stopped using the card about two years ago when I pleaded with her to destroy it (and she did). She never really bought anything tangible (that I know of) with it. I think it was used as 'beer money'. I now have control of all of her money, bank cards and D/Ds to make sure they get paid.
    Is there anybody that your Mom trusts who could talk to her and explain how she needs to be in control of her own finances? I know it's hard when you love someone but sometimes you need to get tough for their sakes.

Not really. She doesn't seem to want to face up to what she's doing. I have tried to tell her in many different ways. She must think i'm some sort of Jekyll/Hyde character...I've tried everything from "but you deserve to be debt free...you work so hard" to "just bloomin stop spending money on rubbish" with an occasional stop at "I don't want you to retire with debt...do you?" Some days she's been close to slapping me so I don't think I say it right somehow ;)
    I've found reading the threads on this website really opened the eyes of a couple of people who couldn't face up to their problems, would that be worth a try?

I have shown her this site...but she never really expressed an interest in looking herself though at work she raves about it to other people (ironically she works in DEBT COLLECTION) but only knows what I tell her about it. I also bought her a spending diary that got 'old' after two days and gave her a weekly 'allowance' which I found out last week she has been doubling through family hand-outs. If this is anything like what teenagers are like then no babies for me :naughty: :rotfl:

I just want to say thanks to people for their kind words tonight. I've just got in from work with a bit of good news...I cornered one of my (more sympathetic) managers tonight who has agreed to refund me some money on next week's pay slip :j it's not everything but it's more than I was expecting so i'm smiling again.

Also, something I didn't realise was that though I haven't made a payment today, I have actually had a NSD :cool: I'll be a millionaire before I know it.
  • jo41
    jo41 Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,
    £5.25 to Egg. Almost under £800 now!
    Have a good Saturday. x
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jo41 wrote: »
    Morning all,
    £5.25 to Egg. Almost under £800 now!
    Have a good Saturday. x

well done! its really coming down now:)

Made my two payments this morning, its such a good feeling to watch those balances reduce:T
    November NSD's - 7
  • frasersmum123
    Options
    Morning everyone,

£2.00 to Capital One and £1.50 to Catalogue for me today.

Hope evryone has a good weekend - see you tomorrow :)
    Moving on up :o SPC #382 ~ £40 banked
    12k in 2016 #15. £541.91/£3000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family