Written out of my father's will - so sad!

Options

Comments

• thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    far2812 wrote: »
    The weird thing is that my siblings also signed the will! This is why I believe it was done without the solicitor seeing my father. Why would they sign this otherwise?

Now that is interesting ......I have always understood that anyone likely to benefit under a will could not witness it - such witnessing would invalidate the will.

Is this still the case?
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Far - read this, plenty of info on invalidity of beneficiaries witnessing a will on many sites on the net
    Who can be a witness?
    Anyone who:
    • Is not blind
    • Is capable of understanding the nature and effect of what they are doing
    However, a witness should not be:
    • A beneficiary in the will; or
    • Married to, or be the civil partner of, a beneficiary
    In these circumstances the will remains a valid and legal document, but the gift to the beneficiary cannot be paid
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So who benefits if your siblings can't? Are you specifically excluded from benefiting or are you just not named? Looks as if they've spiked their own gun.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    sounds to me as if the second will was a 'home made' affair. if the siblings signed it as witnesses then this indicates coercion to me. also, they cannot now benefit from it. your solicitor should be pushing for the first will to be the one 'proved' even though it would ultimately benefit your siblings. if all wills are found to be invalid then you would all benefit equally anyway!
  • far2812
    far2812 Posts: 919 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Where they have signed it says "Executors" but it still proves that they were there!

There's so many odd things to this case - when I first rang the solicitor (because I knew he had dealt with mum and dad's will) - I was ringing him to see if he was dealing with probate, he TOLD me that I was a beneficiary - then about 2 weeks later, he sent me a letter referring me to my siblings saying that I was NOT a beneficiary! ]

There's is just something really fishy going on here!
    Total Quidco earnings - £547.98

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Executors do not sign a will ! This is an extremely dodgy document and I suggest you take a copy of it to a solicitor who really knows about wills & probates - or even to the probate office.
  • far2812
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    That's what I've just thought - I have been looking all over on the internet.

Would there be any valid reason why they would sign Dad's will?

In theory to me - it shows that they were witnesses to the will which like Tandraig says, would take away their right to inherit from it.

I am seeing my solicitor tomorrow but to be honest - it's all the advice from here that I am passing on to him!

There is the solicitor's signature and his secretary's signature on the document too.

I REALLY appreciate all this advice!

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree that executors don't sign a will. The last thing that happens to a will is that it is signed and witnessed. If anything is added to it after this, it may (I'm not sure on this point) make the will invalid.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    who is YOUR solicitor hun? I hope it isnt anyone connected to previous wills unless its the first one.

errata - you can add codicils to a will - but they have to be properly signed and witnessed too.
  • far2812
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    No it is a completely separate solicitor in Nottingham.....why do you ask Tandraig?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure