Written out of my father's will - so sad!

Options

Comments

• vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect this is going to hinge completely on medical evidence as to his mental capacity when he signed will 2.

Do you have (or can you get) any?

Good would be doctor or similar, better would be if Dad gave solicitor copy of will 1 with instructions to change executor to the OP and leave everything else the same ie as a 4 way split, ideal would be both.

Fly in the ointment is that just because he didn’t remember will 2 when doing will 3 doesn’t mean he wasn’t legally capable when he signed will 2.
  • far2812
    far2812 Posts: 919 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I suppose I could get his medical records??

I had a very good relationship with his GP.
    Total Quidco earnings - £547.98

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    far2812 wrote: »
    I suppose I could get his medical records??

I had a very good relationship with his GP.

Speak to the Practice Manager, who will tell you if that's possible or if there is a legal procedure which will have to be followed.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    hi hun - glad you updated us!
    I cannot see why you or your solicitor cannot get medical records - if you are contesting will then the courts will need them anyway! could be wrong but surely your solicitor will advise on this?
    maybe all you need to do is ask gp and sign appropriate form.
    good luck and keep updating us - been wondering how you were doing but know how slow these things can be.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will 3 is null and void as it was never signed. Father's state of mind doesn't come into it.

Will 2 may be null and void if he was not compos mentis at the time of signing it or there was undue influence
  • far2812
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi Tandraig - well it's been a nightmare this end!

The solicitor seems to think that there is enough stuff for us to win - I just dont want to get my hopes up as if I get the 25% share - it will set me up completely.

I am currently in a difficult situation and it would certainly change my life!

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!
  • iwanttobeanonymous
    Options
    Which is probably what your loving, caring, sober father and mother wanted to happen all those years ago when they drew up the original wills. What a sad story, I hope you get this sorted out ASAP, OP.
  • far2812
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    what a lovely comment iwanttobeanonymous - thank you! x

• tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    hi far2812 - nice to hear from you again! seems your solicitor thinks you have a case? is it that your poor dad was not in right mind after will no1? if so then i think this is what is your solicitor is going with - subsequent wills are invalid. sounds like it to me. er - isnt that what some of us said before? anyways - hope that you get it sorted out amicably. and another word of advice hun - do not let solictors start the letter to and froing! they love to do that - and you will spot it as they copy them to you. letters which say darn all except thanks for your letter of the **inst and no new info! oh and you get charged for all that (including the copy to you). dont know what paper solicitors use but it aint half expensive!!!
  • far2812
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thanks Tandraig - I know - really I could have dealt with this myself if I had gone along with the advice from here!!

I have asked the solicitor not to copy me in on non-advisory letters!

I am hoping but not getting excited.

The solicitor just thinks that there are too many anomalies in Dad's health and the treatment of the making on Will 2 that a judge would happily throw out. Mainly that there is no file attached with the second will to specify any discussions held or anything. x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure