Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad you had a nice Christmas and well done on your progress this year :)
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

• Kittenkirst
    Options
    Evening all, had a lovely evening this evening. Had a couple of friends over for dinner & made nachos, followed by hm chicken enchiladas and a lush party dessert(reduced today in the supermarket- delicious!)
    Not the most frugal of dinners but a lovely three courses followed by card games :D nights like tonight remind me why I love having our own home & mortgage!

Updated my master accounts spreadsheets and looked at my full years spending- 7000 spent last year on all outgoings including bills. Only £300 on clothes (largely using vouchers!) so only £25 a month which is much lower than I thought.

Picked up a gorgeous make up vanity case for £4.50 at sainsb*bs this morning and so sat and cleared out my make up bags as who needs ten black eyeliners? Two big bags put in the charity/carboot pile (was surprised peeps bought make up last year at car boot) and some stuff binned. I don't think I quite Marie kondo'd the stuff as I think some stuff I've hung onto as I paid lots for it/wish it suited me. Sooooo I will have another sort in a week or so with fresh eyes & enthusiasm.

Brought my porcelain lucky cat I bought from shanghai to the house earlier and put the change that's been accumulating on the side in, including all the £2 coins- think there's now £15 in there already as mini emergency funds.

No gym this morning (struggled to wake) however after tonight's three courses I'm stuffed so gym before working from home tomorrow! My friends have reignited our 4km run challenge group chat to all compete; will have my first attempt tomorrow morning, I ran 5km yesterday morning in 27:31 so I'm aiming for under 24 mins for 4km....keep your fingers crossed for me!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So I am currently snuggled in my duvet and not in the gym....perhaps I was a tad overzealous so will be going once work is finished for the day instead! :D

Banking checked & 2p sent to the mortgage to round down the joint bills account! Every penny counts and all that!!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't blame you for not going to the gym - I don't know about where you are, but it's cold and frosty (and almost certainly dark when you'd have needed to get up!). It can wait :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• selloptape
    Options
    I second that - duvet ahead of freezing fog and ice :)
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    You are both right, I ended up having to nip into work due to laptop malfunction (again!) and it was Icy and sooo cold even at 10am!

Nice veggie soup on the hob for lunch using leftovers, powering through my end of year review document to hopefully get to the gym this afternoon instead!

Hoping the gym will warm me up for the evening, then it's a nice night in with the gf watching a good film under the blankets on the sofa :) bliss!
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely evening, we haven't had much frost or ice down this way yet at all!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely evening. Its this time of year I wonder why I have such an outdoor life especially when I read posts of snuggling under blankets and watching films :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Gym done :j managed the 4km in 20:43 which is probably the fastest I've ever ran. Followed it with a 20min on the cross trainer so now a bit pooped! Feels good to have pushed myself and that I'm getting my money's worth out of the gym membership (£17.99 a month)!

Back home with a cuppa and a friends popping over shortly which will be nice to see her! Then it's time for something nice for dinner- thinking a pizza express pizza we got cheap from Iceland and some oven chips- easy cooking but tasty and not too pricey for a Friday night.

We were discussing getting our sofa bed for our spare bed - would mean that we have to dip into savings but it's probably a good time to get it in the sales....maybe! Will have a ponder, I really hate diving into savings but I guess the moneys there to be used too, not just hoarded!

I'm in the Midlands (Leicester) and the last few days have been actually freezing- cars slipping on ice type cold & frost. It's very pretty and lovely- it'd be perfect for an afternoon hike around bradgate park. It think we have plans all weekend- maybe next weekend!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I think you've definitely earned that pizza after that gym session :)

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure