Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    It depends, are you the spouse transferring the allowance or the one who will get the tax deduction?
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Hi guys, I am not eligible for the allowance this year but eligible in 2015/16 year according to that year's banding due to having lower wage. Can I back date and apply just for that year or is it possible to backdate only if eligible in current year? Thanks.
    You can claim for any tax year in which you qualified. As I understand it, you can backdate a claim for up to four years.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • rajeshwarsrm
    Options
    It depends, are you the spouse transferring the allowance or the one who will get the tax deduction?
    I will be the one receiving the benefit. I will be asking my spouse to contact HMRC to initiate it.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    She should be able to apply for 2015:16 as a one off year.
  • Kathykat
    Options
    Personally if I had known the amount of hours I would have spent on the married persons tax break I would never have applied and my advice is that unless you feel really really confident navigating HMRC, stay away from this one.

When my kids were born I took a massive pay cut to care for them. I work at their school and only earn 10,522 a year. My husband is a public sector worker on 32,500 so this tax break seemed made for us. However, to date we have made a profit of £20 on this and spent more than 16 hours trying to navigate Hmrc. Stay away from this tax break!
    Some months after I applied I recieved a letter saying that I owed HMRC £80. I rang Hmrc, (every call takes on average 35 minutes, I have always been time poor) the call handler explained that I could either pay or have it taken from my wages through my PAYE. I would have preferred PAYE but she advised me to pay on line. I had a payment card in my hand but nothing so simple for HMRC. I had to pay on line.
    So you guys who get paid a lot and have to deal with HMRC probably know all this, but I had screaming toddlers and meals to cook and bed time bedlam and it was really difficult. In order to pay on line I had to register through the government gateway. In order to register through the government gateway I had to have a text sent to me. It's a lot to concentrate on when you are trying to do lots of other stuff and seemed overly complicated. I just wanted to pay £80. It was the beginning of the month and we had the money so I wanted to do it now. Surely I must have this wrong I thought? There must be a simpler way to pay. So I got back on the phone to hmrc.
    Again this call took 35 minutes but during the call the hold message kept telling me to check online as it was 'simple and easy' so whilst waiting and cooking (a quite yummy shepherds pie,) and putting my daughter back on the naughty step, I read an on line page that said that if you owed under £3000 then this could be collected from your PAYE.
    THANK GOODNESS. That was much more sensible.
    Except I didn't read it properly because it turned out that it said if you were a low earner they could not take it from your tax.
    I got two reminder letters to pay and in fairness both times I tried to ring HMRC but the waiting on the phone was something I just didn't have the time for, and anyway the message would always tell me to look on line.
    You end up getting stuck in a loop, paying on line is complicated and you have to call when it goes wrong. When the reminder letters turned up it wasn't always a good time of the month for us.
    So stupid me ended up with a £100 fine plus the original £80 and now they told me I had to self assess. This time I needed to wait on the phone. The call took 28 minutes. It turned out that I earn to little for them to take it from my PAYE(but not too little to fine me £100). Self assessment is hugely complex.
    You have to first join the government gateway which is complicated and you need credit on your mobile too. In order to join the government gateway they send you a number in the post that takes 9 days to arrive. Getting on to the gateway ended up taking two weeks and three calls, as there is errors on their database. Once I got in self assessment was hugely complicated and when I thought I had completed it, yesterday I got a letter which says I've done it wrong. So now I assume I'm being fined £10 a day. I have cried so much over this.
    A tax break to help married couples they said.
    They can bloody well keep it. Stay away.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Marriage Allowance is now in it's third year so unless you only applied for a single year (which your post suggests isn't the case) you would, as a couple, have benefited by a maximum of £662 so it seems like you are only counting the benefit from one year not the overall picture.

You should have been able to make a payment on your personal tax account which is very easy to register for and get into. I've only used it to check my state pension but it was pretty straightforward to register and access.

You may have had some poor advice but from other posters who have ignored HMRC requests to pay PAYE tax owed it takes several months before HMRC lose patience and send you a tax return to try and formalise things.

I'm at a loss as to why your self assessment would be complicated, did you have anything more to enter than your salary and marriage allowance claim?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    When you say you've done it wrong do you mean you are being investigated for making an incorrect return or was the form sent back because you haven't filled it in correctly?
  • ghanchi
    Options
    My husband works part time and I am a stay at home mum, do I qualify ?
  • bob_bank_spanker
    Options
    ghanchi wrote: »
    My husband works part time and I am a stay at home mum, do I qualify ?
    https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 September 2017 at 1:08PM
    Options
    Kathykat wrote: »
    . . . I work at their school and only earn 10,522 a year. My husband is a public sector worker on 32,500 so this tax break seemed made for us. . .
    It seems to me that many people don't properly understand that Marriage Allowance is not a simple gift from HMRC but a transfer of part of one person's allowance to their spouse.

In your case, you are transferring £1,150 (2017/18) of your allowance to your husband. This means that your allowance will reduce by £1,150 and your husband's allowance will increase by the same amount.

From your numbers, your allowance will become £11,500 - £1,150 = £10,350. If your income is £10,522 then you will be liable for tax on the difference (£172) which creates a tax liability for you of 20% of that £172 = £34.40 for this tax year.

If your claim has been backdated to 2015/16 then a similar liability may have occurred for previous years.

As a couple, however, you will be better off because of the rebate received by your husband.

Edit
    Sorry, can't subtract. Numbers corrected.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback