We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• rceebear
    rceebear Posts: 2,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Chimera, very jealous of your dipper, even if you haven't seen him again. I've seen a couple when out walking but never got a good look at them really. Same with Kingfishers. We had a pied flycatcher checking out one of our nest boxes for a few days a couple of years back but haven't seen him again either. We have a small woodland garden bordered by a stream in a small valley in West Wales and see the same species as you mostly. This has reminded me that I need to refill the feeders again.
    Best wins - GoPro, £2K, Brittany week, festival tix, Bath break, Sweden spa break, iPhone x2, £250 Amazon x2, tech bundle, 55" TV, Haven break, £1K, Smeg mixer, 3 night spa break, Greenhouse, posh tent, house plants, 2 pairs boots, posh mattress, year tailored supplements, £250 lingerie
  • rceebear
    Options
    Thanks Gers, I'll have a go with the tips from that page. Hopefully should see something soon!

Fingers crossed for you. I hope you get some takers soon and keep us updated.
    Best wins - GoPro, £2K, Brittany week, festival tix, Bath break, Sweden spa break, iPhone x2, £250 Amazon x2, tech bundle, 55" TV, Haven break, £1K, Smeg mixer, 3 night spa break, Greenhouse, posh tent, house plants, 2 pairs boots, posh mattress, year tailored supplements, £250 lingerie
  • Chimera
    Chimera Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    rceebear wrote: »
    Chimera, very jealous of your dipper, even if you haven't seen him again. I've seen a couple when out walking but never got a good look at them really. Same with Kingfishers. We had a pied flycatcher checking out one of our nest boxes for a few days a couple of years back but haven't seen him again either. We have a small woodland garden bordered by a stream in a small valley in West Wales and see the same species as you mostly. This has reminded me that I need to refill the feeders again.

Our dipper was great - he would knock on the window every morning - then stand of the fence post outside doing his dance. he would also sit on the top of the car and then slide down the windscreen.. so funny to watch... Wish he would come back :(
  • rceebear
    Options
    Amazing! That must have been quite something. I didn't realise dippers were so outgoing. Perhaps he was a youngster and has settled down now ;) Fingers crossed he comes back or perhaps one of his young :)
  • El_Capitan
    El_Capitan Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I now have 2 blue tits, 2 robins, 2 great tits and 1 blackbird that come most days. And about 3 squirrels that are doing my head in - I can't afford to keep buying peanuts! Which is a shame because the tits seem to love them.

Saw what I think was a long tailed tit in the tree over my back wall but it didn't want to come in, and I have a flock of about 4 goldfinches that seem to enjoy teasing me by flying past but not feeding.

This morning I had a very antisocial duck sat on my back wall quacking like a barking dog constantly for about 10-15 minutes. Then a drake came in and they flew off. I had no idea what she was quacking at!
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    buy a squirrel proof feeder- will be a moneysaver after a while!
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • El_Capitan
    El_Capitan Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think I might have to which is a shame as I quite like my feeder

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/king-deluxe-3-in-1-bird-feeder

as my garden is super small (don't know where I'd put a station) and it's nice that I can have 3 types of feed in one to attract different birds.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2015 at 6:10PM
    Options
    there are squirrel preventers here on these bird posts, but beware of Super Squirrel!
    https://www.facebook.com/matzhik1?fref=nf
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,058 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Noticed that the feeding rate has dropped a load since the warmer weather and longer light have arrived. There are still more than a few birds out there but not as many as last weekend when the storms were blowing.
  • saver-j
    saver-j Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We haven't seen any cats in the garden but I've seen a couple of magpies on the surrounding roofs a few times (but not actually in the garden).

The annoying thing is that the garden behind us seems to have permanent flock of starlings on their roof, which dip into their garden now and again. And I've definitely heard other small birds singing around, just don't know where they are! :(

I was watching this morning when a couple of starlings flew in to the feeders in our garden and they caused the other birds to fly off. They couldn't get on the feeders though and ended up flying off and the other birds (sparrows mainly, but also blue tits, a robin and blackbirds) came back. So there may be nothing in it, and if anyone else has better knowledge please correct me, but perhaps the neighbouring starlings are keeping them away?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure