Leave Sky and go to Freesat - Any good?

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Are you out of contract with SKY if not factor in what it will cost to pay of the contracts .
    The OP has been with Sky for 6 years so will be in contract (requiring 30/31 days' notice to leave), but may or may not be in a minimum term, depending on whether they have taken any offer in the last year.

If in minimum term,as there is no current price rise, a leaving penalty will be incurred.

OP, Have you never cancelled then waited for offers ?
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's no way £92 is an offer price, is there?

Cancel, wait for the offers, on site, on the phone etc. and you can save 50% on at least the TV with minimal effort. I don't think you can save the £50 completely and still get the channels you want. The BB and LL will both be relatively bog standard prices so I dunno if they can discount much there.
  • stevieboy308
    Options
    bt tv has all discovery, nat geo, eurosport, the stuff i watched on sky! £48 per month unlimited fibre optic, line rental, tv. plus £56 one off charge, but comes with £125 on a master card. extra £4 for hd, extra £13.50 for sky movies, between £6 - £9 for netflix. you can get the same but capped at 40gb a month for £35.50 but all the channels that are not on freeview you get via the net, so don't know how that'd work out if the cap would be enough
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    sacha28 wrote: »
    As much as it pains me, I have to keep my internet as I am currently studying which, in turn, means I have to keep the landline that is very, very rarely used.
    It's used all the time you're online at home, unless using a mobile data device.

If your data requirements are low, you could consider a data SIM for your phone that allows tethering.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 31 December 2015 at 2:02PM
    Options
    I don't really understand this as you are grumbling at the cost - but your cost includes movies - yet any new provider costs you are looking at is without movies so you are comparing apples with oranges anyway.

If you call Sky and tell them you want to give 31 days notice to remove movies - and then ask when your contract runs out as you are finding the TV is too expensive - you'll get offered a better deal (make sure you speak to cancellations and not the normal TV department).

Also get them to check if fibre has opened up in your area yet - as a lot of rural areas seem to have opened up in the last few months.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • mrsammyp
    mrsammyp Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should be able to get 50% off and a £50 bill credit on the TV element, you will need give notice to cancel. Once the cancellation has been processed you should see the offer on your my sky account within minutes.

I did this at the weekend, I was offered £12 discount on the full package, declined and the offer was there waiting for me.
  • parttimeskint
    Options
    If you are on Sky broadband connect service then the chances are any streaming service, like NowTV, will not work well or at all. Connect is only up to 6Mbps and traffic managed quite heavily. The chances are, for the price, you will get a much better package from BT.

http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-connect/

NowTV will give you the same movie channels as the standard Sky movies package and the same on demand movie content as well. With NowTV there is no record function or Sky+ features.

Entertainment wise you can get 13 pay channels. The discovery channel is one of them but that's the only discovery type channel that is included.

I would check broadband packages with BT and speeds as well. Connect is effectively rented from BT with specifications set up when Sky first did broadband. Hence speeds up to 6mbps. What ever speed and service you get with Sky connect, you will get better with BT.
  • KingGooner
    Options
    Despite Martin's blog (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/advanced-search.php?q=cancel%20sky&searchtype=guides ) saying you can communicate by email (which is my preferred method as I am hard of hearing, a sky advisor told me this is not possible.. That there is no such email address to use.
    Whatever information I gave the girl on the service she told me it was wrong - even the bank account that they removed £41+ from on 21st December.
    It seems to me that the hoops they make you go through are really unfair.

So the point of this is - is there an email address I can use to cancel OR what will happen if I just cancel my DD as I was starting to get rather angry earlier today.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bt tv has all discovery, nat geo, eurosport, the stuff i watched on sky! £48 per month unlimited fibre optic, line rental, tv. plus £56 one off charge, but comes with £125 on a master card. extra £4 for hd, extra £13.50 for sky movies, between £6 - £9 for netflix. you can get the same but capped at 40gb a month for £35.50 but all the channels that are not on freeview you get via the net, so don't know how that'd work out if the cap would be enough

Viewing BT TV doesn't count against ones internet usage allowance.
  • stockton_2
    stockton_2 Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    KingGooner wrote: »
    Despite Martin's blog (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/advanced-search.php?q=cancel%20sky&searchtype=guides ) saying you can communicate by email (which is my preferred method as I am hard of hearing, a sky advisor told me this is not possible.. That there is no such email address to use.
    Whatever information I gave the girl on the service she told me it was wrong - even the bank account that they removed £41+ from on 21st December.
    It seems to me that the hoops they make you go through are really unfair.

So the point of this is - is there an email address I can use to cancel OR what will happen if I just cancel my DD as I was starting to get rather angry earlier today.

You are right. It should be possible to cancel via email but there does not appear to be a facility by which you can do this.

If you just cancel your DD (as I did some years ago) you will probably get a call from an anxious Customer services adviser, saying that they must have authorization from your bank until your account is settled. Be careful here, as I gave them my credit card details and latterly discovered that this could have given them continuous authority to make deductions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure