Trying to beat this thing called debt..

Options

Comments

• Kittychick
    Options
    Definitely not a NSD today but nothing terrible, cake bought at vol job 2 and then a chippy tea on way home. I need a bit of a rant, sorry.... Been a hard day-we volunteer at a museum that's only open to public one day a month and our 'bit' is working in the cafe which brings in a big chunk of funds with some food being donated. Anyway it always feels like what we in the cafe do is a really good thing in terms of fundraising as it costs money to hold these 'open sundays' and what we raise goes towards that. Anyway, today has been a bit of a downer. It had been agreed that an exhibitor could do do some food for 'their own members' but what they actually did was brought a bloody gazebo and did things on a fairly industrial scale. They have used the line 'all our profits go to charity' before and when what they did was on a very small scale that was OK but today really took the mickey.. They were even serving tea and coffee! Our takings were noticeably down on what is one of our two big fundraising days of the year. Still pretty steaming about this... Some people... If they made a donation to the museum charity it would have gone a long way and we won't be seeing them again...
    Anyway...Ive just tidied up my current account and out the leftover £9 in my savings I now have £51+ (actually £71+ with a chunk for cc waiting)
    In a bit of a quandary on what to do. My two dd's go out on 18th so I'm trying to build up money to cover them that I will then transfer back. It will change a little when I start paying H instead of bank for cc as I'll do that weekly. I'm not going to like having to take money out of savings account once I've put it in and it will be a little confusing having it going up and down like that.. Hmm I'm not sure I can open another account on the same app... I might just have to keep a note on the calender when I transfer it over...
    Going to set myself done goals for October and see if that keeps me motivated, but that will have to be tomorrow cos I just can't be arsed... X
  • Kittychick
    Options
    Right, Monday morning again... Better than last Monday so far!
    I've had a look at some October goals and I'm really struggling, but here goes:
    *11 NSD's. I managed 10 last month with H being at home half of month do I'm hoping to go higher this month. I find if I set myself a high target and then I don't reach it, it puts me on such a downer I spiral and it would be a negative I'd much rather set a target and achieve or even beat it at this stage.
    * Get freezer #2 fairly empty and defrosted this month. It's a fairly basic small chest freezer and doesn't defrost itself. It's used mainly as an overflow if we stock up on bargains on offer, yellow stickers and reduced bread products. To get this empty enough to defrost will take co-operation with the other 'big' day to day freezer who sees herself as a cut above the stuff that goes in the chest freezer. Please tell me I'm not the only one who gives their electrical appliances characters... I have had many a chat with Henry while we're having a good old vac together.
    * Meal plan and 'shop' from freezer-will help with the previous point.
    * Declutter - get boxes of possible junk from m-i-ls house cleared to either tip or charity shop. I can't do this it's up to H to decide, what I can do is nag him to get on with it.
    * Personal Declutter. 7 items of mine a week to charity shop, also a carrier bag a week to bin. I am terrible for hanging onto holey socks etc so that's got to stop.
    * Continue to tidy money over into savings account and also put a couple of quid a week across towards mobile bill on 18th of month. Seems to be about £18 a month max, if I can have to pay only £10 from that week's money I will be happy.
    * Finally, get my cc paid off-we are waiting to be paid back for money we leant to m-i-l before we pay this off, I will then set up a weekly dd and start paying the amount back into the savings account it's come from. With that in mind, I'm going to ring up and get a balance on it so I know what sort of figure I'm looking at. Want to get it paid off as quickly as possible, with the bank it felt like I could stupidly just pay the minimum amount each month.

I'll be back...
  • Kittychick
    Options
    And just like magic, here I am..
    Balance checked and as of last week it's £285.62
    I could make an overpayment but as I'll be paying it all off in next 10 days I'm not sure there's any point. I have £20 put to one side (not literally) of my savings account ready to pay off into the account its coming from and I'd rather pay that a chunk I think-financially I don't think there's much in it, psychologically it will be better doing it the way I've just described. Right off to do 'stuff'
  • Kittychick
    Options
    Weds already. Did a shop yesterday with stuff that will to a large part tide us over the rest of the month. Bags if pasta and tinned tomatoes a bag of sweet potatoes for a start. I'm still on a mission to empty one freezer and mainly 'shop' from the freezer this month. I've managed to follow meal plan so far for lunches and evening meals- I've just made a big pan of the base of a cowboy pie and I'll do some cheesey mash for the top and both myself and H will have the base with pasta for lunch, if I'm lucky there'll be a portion left to freeze for a lunch for next week too. I'm going to do quite a lot of vegetables to go with it and I doubled up on the amount of kidney beans too. Just put a soup in the machine-sweet potato, lentil, celery, carrots, garlic and veg stock. I'll prob brown off some bacon for a topping too.
    I bought grandsons main Xmas present yesterday so that's him sorted now and as we only have a small family we've only got another 5 people to buy for. My Xmas fund is doing well at £51+ but this is mainly for husband and a bit of something towards my daughters presents.
    Think we maybe at cinema tonight on the 2for1 thing. I got a couple of bags of skinny popcorn yesterday so that's the snacks sorted!
    Still 0/11 NSD's but hoping tomorrow will be my first.. Back later...
  • Kittychick
    Options
    Very happy to say as well as the two portions of 'cowboy pie' we had for tea theres another 7 portions going in the freezer. I'll get two portions out a week for lunches so that's one of our lunches for three weeks. There's also a portion of today's soup gong for Hs lunch tomorrow and a half portion for me... Was a good one-I'm aiming for at least one soup made each week, and I got a bag of sweet potatoes when I shopped earlier this week so they're always a good base.
    Went to the cinema tonight to see Kingsman 2, really enjoyed, shockingly we both did-we don't often go to the cinema as we can't normally agree on a film we both want to see. We have the 2for1 app so we're trying to get there at least once a month. Next one will need Blade Runner 2049 I think... Not sure what's out next...
  • Reb2016
    Reb2016 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well with the meal plans, they are a great way to help with keeping on track. And a great idea to take snacks with you to the cinema, the prices they charge are shocking !
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey just read your whole journey. Well done keep up the good work lovely!
  • Kittychick
    Kittychick Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Woohoo, it's Saturday and I'm awake earlier than during the week!
    Anyway.... Thursday was my first NSD of October, I'm aiming for 11! Friday wasn't a NSD but could have been so much worse. We went to Ikea as I was needing/wanting a lamp for in my 'studio/workroom... Feels a bit pretentious to call it that but I dont know what else to call it-it'sthe room I do my crafts in. I've always used it for storage but recently I've been using it to work in but as autumn is coming its getting dull in there so I thought a lamp that I can aim at my work might help. We picked up a standard lamp with a pointable spotlight for £13- I checked before we went and we had suitable bulbs here. We also got coffee and cake but it was Fri so the coffee was free. After ikea we popped into Aldi and got £8 of bits but that included something for my daughter.
    We also talked about the possibility of getting another cat. H wants another, he's mainly always had two and it feels odd for him to only have one. I'm worried the remaining cat we have mightnt like it-she seems to like being queen of the castle on her own. We are looking at going away for one or two nights at the end of the month so probably best to wait til after that though.
    Decisions, decisions..
  • Kittychick
    Kittychick Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks miss moon, not so much of a journey, maybe a slow stroll... All in the right direction and that's the main thing... Lunch from stores today, I'm trying to up my fruit and veg intake so with that in mind I made a sweet potato, celery, carrot and lentil soup. We also had a small jacket potato with cheese too. Tonight I'm going to do a curry of some sort, thinking q fillets, cauliflower and broccoli in and korma sauce with pilau rice and a couple of samosas... No spend so far today but still time to change that cos I'd really like a naan with that curry...
    Out shopping with daughter tomorrow, I've around £27 in this weeks budget but that could easily go with bus fares and a cheap lunch. We very rarely do this so I'm looking forward to it-normally on a Sunday I go to hers and take us the makings of lunch, usually fish, but we both fancy getting out tomorrow so it'll prob be mcds for three... I'll round down whatevers left into savings and also towards mobile bill on 18th...
  • Kittychick
    Options
    Saturday turned into a NSD, so thats 2/11, I'm abit relieved about that because I was beginning to think I wasn't going to stand a chance this month the way things were going!!
    As I said yesterday, I'm out shopping with daughter and grandson today. Not much actual shopping but plenty of looking and we'll get lunch.
    It looks like we might be making a big small purchase today, big as in a chunk of money, small as in for a small item....of a furry meowy nature. We'll see what happens...I'm really quite scared of getting another, we still have one, and when our old mog was becoming increasingly frail and unwell I'd said to H I didn't want another as I couldn't bare it and when our 6 year old goes, that's it because it's just too painful. As he usually is H was very understanding and said that he understood but that he always wants cats, plural but that it would take time to get over losing our big boy. I'm still scared, but a couple of times we've both seen rescue cats on a site we subscribe and donate to. He's even said 'shall we go and get him/her?'.... I know it's what he wants and he rarely wants anything.
    Our 6 year old cat is a funny one, she gave the appearance of being terrified of our old boy although he did nothing to her-he was so laid back he really couldn't be bothered as long as he had a warm knee and someone to worship him. He would have been happy to even be on the same knee as her but she was just too easily spooked-but only when he was around. She enjoys lots of toys and playing silly stalking games-especially through the bannisters. We have discussed will she be ok with another cat bearing this in mind and I stipulated it must be a kitten, so she can be dominant and also possibly motherly to it....yesterday, my daughter tagged me into a photo of a rescue kitten... Who was just beautiful and sounds like a lovely character, playful for a few minutes, then just wants a lap...i tried to talk H away from it: what about other cat, I can't see where the place is, it's closing too soon, we can't get there....and he just was too clever for me: it's tiny, she'll boss him around, she'll like that....ill find the place-it's right near my mum, I'm at my mums tomorrow, is it open on Sunday?
    Looks like I MAY be doomed.... I'll update later..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure