PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shabby Chic; Volume III

Options

Comments

• emma_kate
    emma_kate Posts: 491 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2015 at 12:27PM
    Options
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    emma_kate wrote: »
    Wow, those things cost a fortune Chalky! Lucky you!

I LOVE your blog emma kate but would like more posts please !
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • emma_kate
    Options
    Thank you! I'm hampered by school holidays and travel plans at the moment. I'll try and pull my socks up come September!
  • emma_kate
    Options
    chalkysoil wrote: »
    It might just be me, but the last tin of Wilkos clear matt varnish has produced honey coloured streaks on any place the varnish was thicker than a sheet of paper. :( I've returned to waxing.

)

Did you stir it? I've sometimes had issues with rusty lids discolouring the varnish.
    I've noticed Wilkos have changed their regular brown sandpaper for green. Avoid this like the plague unless you want a green tinge on your pale wood and paintwork!
  • Clutterbee
    Options
    Oh my word Emma, I just found your blog. It is amazing.

I used to post here under a different name a long time ago. I have now returned looking for new inspiration. Hope to see lots of nice things and to get to the point of being able to share some of my creations too.
  • emma_kate
    Options
    Aw, thank you!
  • chalkysoil
    chalkysoil Posts: 1,662 Forumite
    Options
    "Wow, those things cost a fortune Chalky! Lucky you!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Oak-Mid-Century-Library-Index-Card-Filing-Cabinet-Drawers-Libraco-Dovetail-/161802916476?hash=item25ac34927c
    Are you painting the other one? "

I've painted the other one the same green, and the other metal filing cabinet the same cheery yellow. Makes a change from my ubiquitous creamy white. They are 1965 ( well that's when the Uni opened so I'm assumed they were in situ) I thought about buying 72 antique style brass handles and vintageing them, but the cost and the unlikeliness of me getting them all lined up put me off.

I sprayed an entire dresser base with polycell stain blocker last week - luckily I'd bought a can for a £1 rtc because it took the lot. It's had one coat of ascp in original, which I watered down with about 2 teaspoons to a quarter of a tin. It was really quick and easy to apply and is brush stroke free. I usually dollop the stuff on and enjoy the rustic look but fancied a change. I'm waiting now to see if there's any staining before going for another coat or two.
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 September 2015 at 4:07PM
    Options
    Any one else watching Money For Nothing on BBC afternoon tele? Caught it yesterday, and thought it would be perfect for folks here. ;):)
  • DollyDabbler
    Options
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    Any one else watching Money For Nothing on BBC afternoon tele? Caught it yesterday, and thought it would be perfect for folks here. ;):)

I watched yesterdays. Unfortunately unlike some tips, our local one is not keen on people hanging around to look at what is coming in and like the one she visited, once something has gone into the skip it cannot be removed.
    Do you watch ITVs French Connection? They buy in France to sell in England and one item has to be upcycled.
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I watched yesterdays. Unfortunately unlike some tips, our local one is not keen on people hanging around to look at what is coming in and like the one she visited, once something has gone into the skip it cannot be removed.
    Do you watch ITVs French Connection? They buy in France to sell in England and one item has to be upcycled.

Yeah, I think our tip is a bit like that too - but the lady was grabbing folks before they tip the stuff I think.

Not watched French Connection, but I'm in Wales at the mo so channels are all a bit screwy. <roll eyes smiley that I need but has gone> I'll try check it out though. I don't like watching stuff online here as have download limit. But will look when I get home which is going to be soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure