ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Delurking just to say that if it's not damaged and you know what caratage it is, it might be worth trying to sell it on the bay of E - I had a lovely gold bracelet (I don't wear gold) and I took it to an independent reputable local jewellers to ask how much they'd pay for it and the jeweller said for weight it was only worth about £11 (it was very fine), but that it would be worth much more as a bracelet - I went on to sell it online for £35!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Great tip! Thank you.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Another £50 shuffled into the OP pot. We are 4% of the way to our target for the year already :T I need to put £10 of fuel in the car later today, but that's it for spends for the rest of the week. That will enable me to add £200 out of the housekeeping pot to the OP pot :j xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    £200 moved to the OP pot :)

Still no letter back from our mortgage lender so I will keep shuffling for now. I have been contacted by someone who I have done some freelance work for before - she has asked if I can do a piece of work which would earn me around £400 - fingers crossed it comes off :)

Have lovely evenings all x
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Just been advised that I am required to do the piece of work I mentioned and the pay will be slightly higher than I thought - will be confirmed exactly next week :j

Hoping to be at 10% of our target for the year by this time next week - If I can keep up the mindful spending (or rather lack of spending :p) we can achieve this.

Isn't focus and a shift of mindset an extraordinary thing :T
  • FacelessNumber
    Options
    It's amazing how much you can save from the normal budget! I can never maintain focus long enough to do that - I might be extra good for a week and then back to normal for a few weeks and the cycle repeats itself!
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Thanks for popping in FacelessNumber. We haven't had to spend any money on anything this week other than the £10 fuel and around £10 on fresh fruit, veg and bread. i think it helps that I am at home a lot so can spend time planning meals from the freezer, cooking in advance etc so we don't resort to panic shops and takeaways.

It's also easier because I just leave my purse at home when I do go out (generally either visiting family or the school run) so I literally can't spend and have to make do.

But I'm no saint!

ETA -Signature updated. £10 just sent to get me under the next hundred barrier :)
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Gosh this board is busy at the moment! I had managed to slip to the bottom of page 4!

I hope everyone is well. Both DS and I have been floored by a really heavy cold, so I am trying to take it easy today. In money news - well, we are basically not spending any :D I have planned our meals from the freezer for the week, and we have plenty fuel in the car, so shouldn't need to spend anything at all until Friday :T

Managed to shuffle some more money into the OP pot today :T so we are on track to be at 10% of our target for the year by the end of the week. If we can get to the end of January with £5,000 in the OP pot I will be very very happy.

This week is operation freezer use-up. We have two freezers, one in the kitchen and the other in the garage. If we can empty the kitchen freezer this week, then I can clean it out which would be fab. I'm easily pleased aren't I :rotfl:

Keep up the good work and the mindful spending everyone xx
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    £4.19 shuffled over to make our current account a nice round number :)

Bedtime now, utterly shattered, good night all x
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    :T Sold the gold I mentioned last week for £64, so that's been shuffled to the pot
    :T Today will be a NSD, as will tomorrow (literally not taking my purse out of the house with me)
    :T We have enough food in the fridge and freezer to last us until the end of the week
    :T We are now at 6% of our target for the year

I still have a cold, and feel rather rough with it, but positivity is the name of the game here :) x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure