On the brassic bench and loving it!

Options

Comments

• Loulou2010
    Loulou2010 Posts: 13,245 Forumite
    Options
    hope you're going to get rid of all this dust :p
    "I have learnt that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one"
    "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
    Maya Angelou
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Crikey 6 months have passed since my last post and quite frankly I've achieve not much more than b*gger all :eek::o
    Tell a lie I have redecorated DS bedroom but I failed in my attempts to get a cheap set of pine drawers on fleabay and haven't even revamped the ones we already have.
    Instead we have spent an inordinate amount of money on frickin' cars and car repairs :mad::mad::mad:
    Anyway with the left over money from Hubby's redundancy it's been clear we've been spending a bit too free and easy and this money isn't going to last forever at this rate. So decided need to put my big girl knickers on and get back to my MSE and thrifty ways and actually finish the projects I set myself.

I also want to get back to overpaying the mortgage. We only have about 14 years left on it and quite frankly I would chuck every single penny we had at getting rid of it but think that's a step too far for Hubby :o so in my own way, even though it's not a debt like CC's etc, I am going to pay off what I can. It's our only and largest debt so that's how I am going to treat it.

So plan is this:
    Go through finances and see what monthly overpayment we can painlessly afford and set up the payment.
    Start collecting up all my coppers and that small change we hate and start using this to chip away towards the mortgage. It's no great amounts but it's all got to mount up right?
    Considering looking at listing unwanted stuff on fleabay BUT I find it an enormous time suckage for extremely small return so not sure.

Other plans are to get stuck into house redecorating (when I can pin H down to a decision on colour schemes) and to stop procrastinating about stuff. The latter is going to be a massive challenge :eek:

Get back to MSE ways, meal planning, sticking to shopping list and generally stop spending money as much. Which considering I have been lusting after a pair of converse pumps is a decision made at the wrong time :o ah well I shall have to make it my mission to see if I can source these pumps for as cheap as possible instead before I can justify the spend.

Here's hoping I can post on here more often than once every 6 months ;)
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • castlelough
    castlelough Posts: 302 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well Bitsy, how's it going?
    Credit Card: €6000 ---> €3827.31
    Unicorn Fund: €0/3500
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Options
    Well Bitsy, how's it going?

The proverbial hit the fan :eek:
    Hubby finds himself unexpectedly unemployed. Not a good situation to be in. So focus is instead on actually being able to PAY the mortgage rather than overpay it.

However it has made hubby realise how much we want rid of the mortgage (we wouldn't be quite so much up the creek if we didn't have that) so once he has a job, no matter what it pays We are determined to chip away at over paying the mortgage.

Right now it's survival and if I can take a positive from this crappy situation made me realise how I had slipped from being frugal. Not so any more.

But thanks for asking Castlelough :D
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about DH's situation, Bitsy. Get-a-job-quick vibes for him. Hang on in there, mate, something will come up for him, you have to believe that. x
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Options
    As usual I am neglecting this diary :o I think I need to regularly post each week to keep me focused.

anyway update is this: hubby managed to get a job on a 6 month fixed contract. He's done one month so far and he's still looking around for the right role for him. At least the wolf is kept from the door for a while longer.
    So time to document the little MSE things I am doing to help stretch our finances and put towards overpaying this blasted mortgage. It's going to be all about the pennies ;)

I have spent last 7 or so weeks doing weekly meal plan and for the most part sticking to it. I used to have a meal plan that ran for 7 weeks but I never stuck to it. I find I am more likely to stick to it when I do it weekly. The freezer is pretty full so it's time to use what I have.

My MSE jobs this week have been:
    Meal planning
    Listed some Happyland toys on local FB selling site
    Made butter buns from scratch yesterday to go with HM chicken burger and HM wedges.
    Checked hubby's oil on car, it was low so topped it up (best avoid expensive repairs through lack of maintenance)
    Weekly shop was £45, need to see if I can get it lower next week.

MSE jobs to to
    The kids have the church Christmas shoe boxes coming up so need to keep an eye out for any deals on suitable items to go in them
    Having a small Halloween party for friends and their kids. Food will be made from scratch so need to make a list of what we will make
    Start sounding out the kids for ideas of things they want from Father Christmas this year
    Get money bags from bank so bag up the ridiculous amount of coppers we have and pay against the mortgage.
    Check out what's on Approved Food more often, not interested in processed stuff but sometimes they have useful items in.

That will keep me busy next week ;)
  • Loulou2010
    Options
    We let ds 1 loosen with a toy catalogue and told him to circle what he likes the look off. Didn't quite expect him to circle the whole tthing in us girls toys :eek::rotfl: we are actually taking him to have a nose around toy shop and point out a couple of things he would really like then make a mental note of few little bits. He is the easier one out of the two to buy for
    "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
    Maya Angelou
  • Bitsy_Beans
    edited 26 October 2014 at 10:16PM
    Options
    Loulou2010 wrote: »
    We let ds 1 loosen with a toy catalogue and told him to circle what he likes the look off. Didn't quite expect him to circle the whole tthing in us girls toys :eek::rotfl: we are actually taking him to have a nose around toy shop and point out a couple of things he would really like then make a mental note of few little bits. He is the easier one out of the two to buy for

The Argos catalogue is known as the "I want book" in this house as the kids peruse it's pages going "I want this....." etc

Just sat and done my weekly meal planning. Found it a struggle tonight. We are big chicken eaters and trying to alternative recipes so we don't eat chicken every day feels like a mission some weeks, like today.
    Not sure when I will fit in food shop this week with kids being off.....

Need to sit and plan Halloween food for Friday. Going to do curry for adults and finger food for kids as a friend and her children are coming for a wee halloween celebration before we head off to knock friends houses for trick or treating.

This week has some much needed spends. New winter coat for DD and I need some new underwear.

Christmas shoe box for school completed and sponsored by £oundland. Still some good bargains to be had and a nice stash of new things for kids who don't have anything.

Half term week has been planned. Minimal spends for half term fun, think most expensive is trip to Arboretum but I haven't been since I was a kid and it's the best time of year to go so am justifying the expense.
    Time to browse Pinterest for some low budget Halloween decorations. I have some halloween bunting and some bits from last year already but the kids love their craft so it gives them something to do over the holiday. Hoping my stash of craft stuff will have all we need :)

Looking forward to the week ahead :j

MSE jobs
    Re list Happyland Items on FB
    Party food list for Friday
    Check out Approved Food site
    Register for guarantee on new hoover (my old Dyson finally gave up the ghost after nearly 14 years and it's second motor). I rarely bother to register guarantees.....no reason just laziness so making sure I register this one. Got a £100 trade in for the old hoover too :)
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Options
    Trip to shopping centre wasn't cheap :eek: but necessary :o
    However took kids to arboretum and they only charged for adults (I did query it, wasn't trying to dodge paying ;)) so that was £8 saved :T
    Food shop today came to a reasonable £55. Not sure how that happened as that included two pumpkins (£1.29 each) and some other non essentials. I didn't even write a list this week :o

In an effort to pinch the pennies I decided to make naan breads for chicken curry I am serving Friday night and English muffins to make "mummy" pizzas out of for the kids in Friday. Only saved a couple of quid but for a bit of effort (singing along to Radio) in the kitchen that's a couple of quid in my pocket than someone else's.

Couldn't get the registration for new vac to work online so I need to ring them tomorrow.
    Still need to relist items on Fb selling page (I need to pick the right time of day to do this, too early and stuff vanishes down the FB page and doesn't get seen).

Pumpkin carving starts in earnest tomorrow. Not my favourite job tbh, hate the smell of pumpkin :o a peg on the nose it is then.

Thoroughly enjoying this time of year, old rituals, marking the passing of the seasons. Makes me very happy indeed :T:T
  • Loulou2010
    Options
    how the fb listing going? i have never used those. are they any good? worth the time and hassle?
    Maya Angelou
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport