Sentinel (AI Scheme) compensation help guide

Options

Comments

• Konka
    Konka Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 10 March 2016 at 2:50PM
    Options
    I bought Sentinel Card Protection from Lloyds TSB in 1990. I have just been trying to start a pre-2005 claim with them. If you wish to raise a complaint with them use 0800 409 6556 - the Card Protection Plan Dept. They will take your details and give you a reference number.

Payment is triggered automatically when AI approve the post 2005 claim. If I heard correctly interest is paid at 8% for 1993-2005 and 15% for pre-1993.

Update - 10/03/16 Have just received my cheque for £349 from AI. Now to chase up Lloyds TSB
  • Comp2014
    Options
    My mother has been with Sentinel for years, and has received the compensation letter. Thing is we have no paperwork at all, it was originally purchased via a Debenhams store card (no longer used); I'm unsure if she has a claim? Is anyone else in this position?
  • jack237ie
    Options
    Our son passed away in 2013 and a few months ago we received a letter in his name saying he was entitled to this compensation. I rang them up and they were very helpful , completed the form and received our sons compensation. Was very impressed.
  • normern
    Options
    Thanks, you spurred me on to claim from Barclaycard but it took me two days of calls ,being directed to the same wrong place twice and holding the call for 20minutes at a time but perseverence got me to a very nice lady who took my details and assured me that I would hear something in five days and a decision would be made within fifty six days, got fingers crossed.
  • CAROLEANN21
    Options
    Hi
    I wonder if anyone who understands these things could help me. I have received £ 300.00 from A1 but the interest on this over 10 years at 8% is shown as £75.00. Surely this can't be right. Any help would be gratefully received.
  • Overtaxed_2
    Options
    Thank you MoneySavingExpert. Received £78 from Sentinel, used the template letter from you site. to claim off Barclaycard. Posted claim to Barclaycard on the 29 Dec 2015. Received an offer on the 5 Jan 2016 posted acceptance the next day, £285 in my account on 27 Jan 2015. Well done Barclaycard for your quick response and minimum hassle.
  • KingBob
    Options
    Just to encourage others to pursue compensation pre 2005. After completing my original claim form using the MSE template I received £191 compensation for the period up to 2012 (when I had cancelled my Credit Card Sentinel policy).

I then wanted to pursue compensation for the period before 2005 - I had been paying for this "protection" since 1987. I called the AI Scheme on the telephone number in their letter 0800 678 1930. They confirmed how long I had had the product for and the date the first payment had been made.

My product was to "protect" a Barclaycard so I then contacted Barclaycard on 0800 151 0900 and, eventually I got put through to the right person after saying I wanted to make a claim about misselling. They took details over the phone, even asking me what my preferred payment would be if the claim was successful. This was in mid September 2015 and they advised I should hear back within 8 weeks if my claim had been successful. I had heard nothing by mid November so I chased them on the number they had given me 0800 096 6580. They advised there was a backlog but they would be in touch within the month.

They then wrote to me within a week and paid £463.36 as compensation for the period 1987 to 2005. I had a couple of queries on the calculation and called them and each time they were extremely helpful.

I was delighted to say the least and I was encouraged to pursue this after reading other cases on this MSE forum. Just a few phones calls and a bit of perseverance needed to reach a very satisfactory conclusion. Give it a go!
  • KingBob
    Options
    It is based on simple interest (not compound). Suggest you call them and ask them to talk you through it- number should be on your letter from them but the AI number I used was 0800 678 1930.
  • Helpmymoney
    Options
    I bought a sentinel policy back in 1996 which ran through to 2014. When I contacted the AI scheme helpline they said it was sold to me through BT and that they had 'chosen to go it alone'. Does this mean that I will not be eligible for compensation?
  • kay_williams
    Options
    I had card protection with fraud services through my bank Lloyds
    at the time I think it was through SENTINEL but after a few years was changed to ID AWARE
    I have been paying £6.99 per mth
    I have now had letter from ID AWARE to say that after march there are cancelling as will not be in operation
    does anyone know if I if would be intitled to any fees back
    I havnt received any letter that was sent out

any info would help

thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business