Sainsbury's price increases after Argos group takeover

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Im not disputing the price increases arent happening but customers arent put off hy them.
    I certainly am, I find the price of their f&v ludicrous as it is.

I live within yards of a large store but make the round trip to Aldi instead (all of 1/2 a mile :D).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Noticed my usual dual sinus relief tablets went from 70p to £1.50 for 16. A 114% increase. Noticed Wilko have their similar things for under £1.

Congestion relief tablets - 60p to £1
  • soul1
    soul1 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February 2017 at 7:29PM
    Options
    Hi everyone, having done my weekly shop at Tesco last week and Asda today, Sainsbury's pricing is much higher on most items. I will no longer be shopping at Sainsbury's and I hope others do the same. That is the only way to get them to listen to their customers and lower their prices.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    soul1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, having done my weekly shop at Tesco last week and Asda today, Sainsbury's pricing is higher on everything. I will no longer be shopping at Sainsbury's and I hope others do the same. That is the only way to get them to listen to their customers and lower their prices.

And Waitrose is even higher yet they don't seem to be having any major issues.

What's your gripe with Sainsburys that makes you think you can dictate their pricing strategy (which they will research heavily)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »

What's your gripe with Sainsburys that makes you think you can dictate their pricing strategy (which they will research heavily)
    Perhaps the OP remembers the days when Sainsbury's was a dump? (As was Tesco's in the late 80s, and Presto, which pre-dated Waitrose - anyone remember them?). So the price aspiration doesn't match the retail environment.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • soul1
    soul1 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Having been a loyal Sainsbury's customer for many years, I have now decided to shop elsewhere as I don't agree with the price increases. It seems to me that the Argos takeover could be a factor in this. As previously mentioned I'm just informing the forum community. Whether anyone chooses to shop at Sainsbury's or not is not down to me. Everyone has a choice. However for people on low incomes, or very tight budgets, these price increases are not good.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 February 2017 at 9:44PM
    Options

Comments like those on this thread (and even worse, those on Bookface and Tatter) cause pulses to race in even the most well insulated boardrooms.

Sainsbury's got into very serious trouble in 2004 when it managed to foul-up its supply chain due to a failed IT system. As a consequence it reported its first ever loss. It had to write down over a quarter of a million pounds, sacked over 700 people at head office and spent a fortune recruiting shelf stackers.

It found out what was going wrong because customers, when they couldn't buy what they wanted, shopped elsewhere.

Last year both its sales and profits were down, under threat from the German discounters Aldi and Lidl. It has made a big deal about cutting prices in response (hence the interminable in store announcements).

It most definitely will be monitoring this site, and social media too, hoping to detect whether its strategy is working.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2017 at 12:28AM
    Options
    The price increases have nothing to do with Argos. Sainsburys have always upped thier prices at this time of year.

I have been following prices there for years as it's my local main supermarket which is easy to get to from where I used to work.

Sainsburys have always had higher than usual price increases usually within 10 days into the New year.

They do it then because after the Xmas and New Year celebrations, most people don't notice the price increases until at least the 2nd week in February like the OP has.

It's only because of the last 9 years of low wages etc. , we all have been looking how we can cut our outgoings. The days of just spending with no cares have gone.

As for influencing their prices to come down, that won't happen. Unless alot of people stop shopping there because of these prices they will still go up and up.

Sainsburys is trying to pitch itself as an upmarket competitor of Waitrose but without the customer service.

Go look at mysupermarket website and put in a list of brand names. You will find unless they are on offer, they will be just under or more than Waitrose prices.

I think it's telling that I shop less and less in Sainsburys but more in Waitrose now. Plus I shop at lidl and Aldi for the basics.

As for Sainsburys monitoring this site and it changing it's pricing policy, I think I have more chance of winning on the Lotto. Interesting considering I don't now play that either.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Options
    There is no large company operating in the consumer sphere today that doesn't watch sites like this and social media very carefully indeed. The really clued-up ones have teams doing little else than monitoring t'internet. Some even have MSE 'approved' spokesmen posting in response, hoping to burnish their employer's reputation Quite a few even 'astroturf' social media, Mumsnet and the like.

I don't think for a moment that a few comments about Sainsbury's prices made by those who think they are rip-off artists will actually make them do anything - but they will notice and if sales start to dip as a consequence of the price rises they will regard those comments as a bellwether.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Sainsbury's took a decision to pitch its prices higher that many of its competitors some years ago. It has been expensive since long before the Argos purchase and the 'weak pound' is an excuse used by politicians and price gougers. The pound has simply gone back to where it was a few years ago.

Against all the odds it seems to have paid off. People seem to feel they are getting a better shopping experience at Sainsbury's. Heaven knows why as they are buying more or less identical products and judging from my local Sainsbury's the checkout queues are hopeless - the operators chatter away like fishwives.

I wince every time I hear that 'live well for less' lie coming over the tannoy every few minutes. Is there anyone in the shop dense enough to believe it?!

I find Tesco more expensive than Sainsbury's for the stuff I buy.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure