Vanguard Life Strategy

Options

Comments

• innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's been a bit of a free falling market this week so far.

Oh please Sheep, stop micro-analysing the markets.
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    Like it or not, if you aren't married or in a civil partnership, you have no legal rights to your partner's estate, and the other way round
    Partner's can claim 'family provision' against their deceased partner's estate if the way the estate is split doesn't provide them with "reasonable financial provision".

A partner might also have some claim to a house owned by the other partner. They might be able to prove "common intention" (e.g. selling their own home to move in) or might claim a financial interest (e.g. contributing to mortgage repayments/paying for extensions).

But I'm no lawyer, and this is way off topic.
  • westy22
    westy22 Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    but another contribution goes in tomorrow

Bear in mind if buying Vanguard via HL that it will be next Tuesday morning's price that you will be buying at.
    Old dog but always delighted to learn new tricks!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    look on it as a sale :) my drip feed of £300 goes tomorrow to the VLS, a chance to buy in a bit cheaper than earlier in the year and rebound as the years go by :)

"Aaaarrrrggghhhh, value has dropped" "This is good, this is good, this is good, this is good" "What if it drops FOREVER and I end up destitute and have to get a paper round till I'm 105" "No, this is good, this is good, this is good" "Maybe I should have bought the shares that nice man on the phone told me about that are going to rise sharply".

Sorry, did I say that out loud :o.
    Oh please Sheep, stop micro-analysing the markets.

Micro-analysing? Best not tell you how often I've been checking then :rotfl:.

On a serious note, can I ask what is so good about the Vantage funds? They don't seem to perform any better than other similar funds? Sorry if the answer is obvious, I don't know much about that type of fund.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    A_Flock_Of_Sheep Posts: 5,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 6 June 2013 at 11:16PM
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    "Aaaarrrrggghhhh, value has dropped" "This is good, this is good, this is good, this is good" "What if it drops FOREVER and I end up destitute and have to get a paper round till I'm 105" "No, this is good, this is good, this is good" "Maybe I should have bought the shares that nice man on the phone told me about that are going to rise sharply".

Sorry, did I say that out loud :o.

Micro-analysing? Best not tell you how often I've been checking then :rotfl:.

On a serious note, can I ask what is so good about the Vantage funds? They don't seem to perform any better than other similar funds? Sorry if the answer is obvious, I don't know much about that type of fund.

I actually find it quite fun and fascinating analysing and looking at the markets. Probably because I am new.

By Vantage funds I guess you mean Vanguard??? ...

I think one of the driving factors for the Vanguard LS funds is the fact that the running costs are quite cheap for holdings over £10k and in one package they offer a broad mix of bonds, property and exposure to global markets. A kind of one size fits all set it and forget it fund.

That said, this evening i had a session with an IFA paid for out of the recent gains I made on the Turkish market during my gung ho renegade investing period recently.

The VLS funds are not suitable for my needs as the dividend yield is quite small. It is a major general portfolio fund and is basically OK for those seeking capital growth for the future who are a bit nervous of some risk. The IFA had some impressive "sales" literature on the Vanguard Life Strategy range and said it was a popular investment. I also mentioned to them a comment made on one of my threads stating that my portfolio was missing a Vanguard fund which he found quite comical.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

By Vantage funds I guess you mean Vanguard??? ...

I think one of the driving factors for the Vanguard LS funds is the fact that the running costs are quite cheap for holdings over £10k and in one package they offer a broad mix of bonds, property and exposure to global markets. A kind of one size fits all set it and forget it fund.

That said, this evening i had a session with an IFA paid for out of the recent gains I made on the Turkish market during my gung ho renegade investing period recently.

The VLS funds are not suitable for my needs as the dividend yield is quite small. It is a major general portfolio fund and is basically OK for those seeking capital growth for the future who are a bit nervous of some risk. The IFA had some impressive "sales" literature on the Vanguard Life Strategy range and said it was a popular investment. I also mentioned to them a comment made on one of my threads stating that my portfolio was missing a Vanguard fund which he found quite comical.
    Doh, yes, I meant Vanguard. Thanks for this. I'm being gung ho as well at the mo and waiting on Turkey to stop rioting :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    As I mentioned on another thread - looking the marketing literature for the Blackrock Consensus funds, which are similar in that they're portfolio funds built on trackers: they specifically say they don't claim to be a "one-size-fits-all product". There are a few sizes available (different levels of bond exposure and equity geographies), but none of them are necessarily suitable for 'all'; an investment product can never be that.

They do however claim to be "more of a one stop shop, for investors seeking low-cost, efficient and diversified market exposure". You could have some at the core of your portfolio and then play with other stuff around the edges, or for some people you could have it as your entire portfolio as long as you realise its limitations and are happy with it.

You mention they cover property. This is misleading as there is zero specific allocation to real estate. It is equities and bonds only. Some of those equities will be in the building sector which is somewhat linked to real estate asset prices, but is not the same thing. And while our FTSE 250 includes groups like Barratt, Bovis, Persimmon (actually perhaps Persimmon is at the bottom end of the 100 by now), their market caps are pretty small and typically 4/5ths of the UK allocation via the All-Share index in a Vanguard LS is going to be the FTSE100 with the exposure to smaller companies just a bit of noise around the edges.

I don't think any professional adviser or the smarter people on here would tell you your portfolio is 'missing a vanguard fund' or that you must have a vanguard fund for your portfolio to be complete. A lot of people here have pointed out that your previous portfolios were not very balanced (for example I think you had a thread last month when you were considering just having 3 equity income funds as your entire portfolio); and Vanguard LS is a quick way of getting some general global largecap equities exposure and perhaps some bond indexes (I only use the 100% equity version myself). Most advisers probably recognise the limitations of simply using largecap indexes in fixed ratios and would think they could tailor something better to your needs using other options, rather than take the off-the-shelf mix. - because as mentioned, one size does not fit all.
    The VLS funds are not suitable for my needs as the dividend yield is quite small.
    The FTSE 100 has generally given a dividend yield of 3% or so as a general rule of thumb, S&P and other indexes are sometimes quite a bit lower; a significant proportion of funds and investment trust set up with a goal of producing a yield will get you more income than FTSE and by extension, more income than a Vanguard Lifestrategy.

But even if you "need an income": one way of looking at it is that you need to generate sufficient total return within your portfolio that allows you to take cash out of your investments over time - if that return has come from growth rather than income it doesn't stop you getting access to the cash, as you can just sell a bit. A majority of platforms currently have no dealing fees to sell fund units. So it's only the hassle of having to actively go into your portfolio online and hit sell, rather than simply receiving the cheque from a dividend. Outside a wrapper it can actually be beneficial to generate your return as growth rather than income, as CGT is lower than income tax.

Either way, in my view you would not avoid global largecap developed and EM equities merely because the dividend yield was a bit lower than having the fund manager select the particular companies which had higher dividends and lower growth to give you the cash each quarter. As a prospective retiree, it is a valid viewpoint to look at equity income funds because of the generally more stable outlook for dividend producing companies when the markets are troubled, and OAPs typically want to have lower volatility in what they hold than a young person. It is not purely because of a need to physically receive cash each month, as one can always liqidate to get some cash.

So I think the simple answer that something is not suitable because it doesn't produce a lot of income and you need to be able to get cash each month, is only half the story. If you're spending money with an adviser to use his skills to fine tune a portfolio, he will inevitably have his own home-made off the shelf solution for someone of a particular risk / reward profile - and if he then wants to tweak that to account for particular personal circumstances it's extremely unlikely that he would rip up what he'd started with and add a bit of Lifestrategy.
  • Carpi09
    Carpi09 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Poll added, would be interesting to see how many have invested with VLS.
    :j

Planning for my future early

:T Thank you to the members of the MSE Forum :T
  • esmecullen
    esmecullen Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    memo to self.................stop checking how the fund is doing...............breathe.............relax
    total airhead, total bimbo, very superficial:D
  • ozzage
    ozzage Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    Like it or not, if you aren't married or in a civil partnership, you have no legal rights to your partner's estate, and the other way round

I know all about the law. This isn't about the law. The intent of the original comment was clear, and had nothing to do with legal status. It was in reaction to her complaining about the OP's investment dropping in value.
    And if she is your GF and not your wife, she should have no say in what you do with your money. Nor you hers.

She SHOULD have no say in what he does with his money, because they aren't married? Do people genuinely agree with that, in 2013? If they've been together for 60 years but decided for various reasons not to marry, that they should not do shared financial planning? Sorry, this is laughable and old-fashioned.

Financial planning will change, depending on whether they are married or not, but should not be done independently, just because they are not.

err.. topic... yes I hold a Vanguard LS fund for my daughter :P
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport