Couch to 5K support thread.

Options

Comments

• sweetilemon
    Options
    The thing that puts me off fitbits is because you can't use them in the swimming pool. Well done everyone - amazing progress! I was quite enthusiastic this morning and thought hmmm I might do my 2nd run, 10 mins in I thought, nah save that for tomorrow! Think I'll wait until after yoga, it was quite embarrassing being all sweaty for class!
  • TiredTrophy
    Options
    My garmin vivoactive is waterproof. There is a more expensive one with HR or you can just use a strap and keep with tbe lighter watch. Its ok in the pool...you can set the pool length but do a strong pushoff so it detects the laps.
    Had it three weeks and seems nice and reliable. I don't do MFP as would soon get obsessed.....
    But if you do it all links together......
    It was a present otherwise it would have been a bit expensive .
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Day 2, Week 2 done! :j

I didnt do a very good job, as i still dont feel wel. But i'm glad i went. I am not sure whether to repeat it tomorrow as i couldn't do all of the running today?

I might invest in a 'sports watch' or whatever you call them, if i stick at it after doing the C25k :) BUt for now i wont bother.

I'm trying to eat healthier, but i think a good rule of thumb for me is 80/20. I am also under investigation by the GP for possibly being Hypoglycemic, so might have to change my eating habits anyway.

I've not weighed myself at all yet, i think i might do at the end of this week. I dont expect to see any difference while i am in the early weeks, but it'll be nice to see any changes over that time.

Has anyone else weighed or measured yet?

Well done on Week 3 Elfbert! And thanks for the tip about using a tennis ball. I dont want to/cant afford to spend any more money on stuff, so will use that instead of a foam roller for now. Maybe i'll buy a roller next month.

I'm really impressed with that distance, Mr Singleton. Have you always been into running?

iammumtoone- yes i meant a GPS watch :rotfl: LOL, i dont know the names of all this fitness stuff, :o

I feel exhausted today...could easily go to bed. But need to get things done around the house and also go food shopping!

Well done to anyone who has run today!
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 September 2016 at 2:59PM
    Options
    well done wanttobese on getting out even though you don't feel well, I would leave it tomorrow and recover fully with the aim of going Fri/Sat once you are well.

I did what I set out to do, ran and walked hard (90sec run 2 mins walk), pushed myself till I was knackered and then some. I did 2.7 miles in 32 minutes, for someone who hasn't exercised in years I can't complain at that maybe I am not quite as unfit as I thought I was.

wanttobese - what is 80/20? you are right about the foam roller no point in spending out anymore money until you know what exercise you intend to do long term, I don't understand why people run when they don't enjoy it, there are lots of other activities, better to find one you really enjoy then you are more likely to stick at it. Its different completing the C25K its only 9 weeks so good to do even if you don't like it, as the sense of achievement is worth it, but to carry on running in my view you need to enjoy it otherwise there is no point. Interested to hear form our experienced runners on that point, do you enjoy running?
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 September 2016 at 2:47PM
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »

Has anyone else weighed or measured yet?

Yes I am reading this book
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1909397776/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=
    or
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1861057032/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]
    as far as I can tell they are the same book?

I can recommend for beginners, it has lots of charts to fill in, luckily my secondhand copy is clean. It says in there about weighing/measuring and more. I will post this evening what it recommends to do (i haven't done everything yet, just got to that page :rotfl:). Like you say its nice to get that down at the start so you can see the improvements.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well my first real step ( no pun meant !) was to get on the treadmill at the gym for the first time since Mum died. I've had such a lot to sort out in the last few months but now everything is tied up and I feel I can move on.

So, I did 15 mins at 5km an hour which was just over 2 miles but I'm happy with it. My plan is to do this for a couple of weeks and build up speed before I go out 'on the road'.

I'm determined to progress to the Couch programme shortly
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    well done Ericsmum. I think its is a good idea if it builds up your confidence to get out, its not a race you have plenty of time to complete. personally I would be more embarrassed to run in a gym than outside, outside there are lots of places I can 'hide up' where no one can see me, just goes to show how everyone is different,

How do most people measure distance/pace? I have been doing miles but maybe I should change to km?
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks iammumtoone, i am really pleased that i did it, even if i did struggle. I actually think i am going to repeat week 2 next week. I am really embarrassed to admit that, but i really am that unfit.
    Yes i think you are right, i am going to leave it tomorrow and go out again on Friday instead.
    The 80/20 just means eating healthily 80% of the time and then allowing yourself some treats 20% of the time. Obviously i don't concentrate on the %'s, i just aim to eat healthily the majority of the time.

That book looks interesting, I look forward to you posting what recommendations they give :)
    I cant remember what week you are on iammumtoone?

ERICSMUM- well done for getting on the treadmill, that's an excellent start! Grief can totally zap any motivation (at least it did for me) and there is so much to sort out that it's hard to find time. but you are doing great and i am sure you'll continue to do well :)
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 21 September 2016 at 3:17PM
    Options
    well done Ericsmum. I think its is a good idea if it builds up your confidence to get out, its not a race you have plenty of time to complete. personally I would be more embarrassed to run in a gym than outside, outside there are lots of places I can 'hide up' where no one can see me, just goes to show how everyone is different,

How do most people measure distance/pace? I have been doing miles but maybe I should change to km?

Honestly, i dont do either. I just complete the C25k podcast and then walk home from there. So sometimes it's been about 45 mins and other times 20. I think that as long as i am out there and running, thats what matters for me. I'll build up speed/distance over time and i think i do about 5K anyway.

Hold on...let me google map todays route and i'll let you know....brb

EDIT- OK, so Google maps say its 1.4miles to the place i run to, so there and back is 2.8 miles. The podcast normally stops when i am a 3rd of the way home. I am reasonably happy with that. I will naturally speed up over time i am sure.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,642 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am not doing the C25k any more (did it 5 years ago then stopped running and picked it up again recently) but I found it better to track in k as that is how everyone talks these days. Parkrun is a 5k and people talk about their pace for 5k.
    You are all doing great and there is no shame in redoing a week if you don't feel ready for the next step yet - you are still getting out there and doing something.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure