OVO Energy - anyone else tried to use these?

Options
I thought it would be a good idea to switch to OVO. Sadly their admin is not up to scratch. Does not instill any confidence in their delivery ability. I have only just received their confirmation letter, some 3 weeks after originaly application. Their direct debit date is not convenient. I have requested a change and received no reply. I noticed that the amount they want to charge is not competitive with my current supplier. They want to charge me £30 per fuel for the privilege of the inconvenience they have put me through with their tardy administration.

Anyone else experienced these suppliers?:(

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FWIW I used them a few years ago and they seemed very efficient and helpful.
    Stompa
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    We have just changed ie 27th May was the change over date, so far they have been very efficient, all notification as and when expected. I needed to phone them re meter reading as the date they wanted was when we were away on holiday, the gentleman I spoke to was very helpful. Time will tell about billing and costs though.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've found them very straightforward - a couple of issues re inputing readings early but the website seems to be far more robust now.

I don't understand the £30 comment
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been with OVO for electricity (no gas where I live) for just over 2 years on their 2yr fixed tariff. I renewed recently for another 2yr fixed as they offered me the best price.

I use their online facility to enter my readings on a monthly basis. I pay by direct debit, which is averaged out over the year. They also pay 3% interest on any credit that you have (during the summer months).

I find that their website is easy to use and it also displays your consumption.

I suspect, like dealing with any utility, they do have their off days!
  • Officer_Dibble
    Officer_Dibble Posts: 373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 June 2014 at 3:57PM
    Options
    I've had a minor nightmare switching to them - they took over our supply from EDF at the beginning of April and the changeover readings have still to be resolved.

I provided readings at the right time at changeover date. They ignored these, and came up with some inflated estimate that bore no relation to reality. They then got very confused when my next actual reading was lower than the previous estimate (which they managed to record as my actual reading).

When I phoned them, they had some revised figures from the reading agency which were a bit more sensible (though still not as accurate as my actual readings of course), but that was 2 weeks ago and they've yet to revise their bills using these numbers.

Oh, and the other annoyance is that they ignore emails unless they come from the email address registered with them. Why on earth? It doesn't add to security at all but is a major pain. OK, I can change my "send" address every time I email them, but why should I have to?

Wish I hadn't switched to them.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• starrystarry
    starrystarry Posts: 2,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been with OVO for 3 or 4 years now and I've never had any problems with them.
  • Officer_Dibble
    Options
    Lucky you. On a day to day basis there isn't actually anything for them to do, so it's hard for them to go wrong really...it's just when they actually have to do something when things can go wrong...
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just switched this month- the whole thing was a doddle, great communication and I received my £30 cashback from the MSE energy club yesterday as well- very happy and will be saving £13pm over my previous supplier. Happy days.
  • nande2000
    nande2000 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im just in the process of switching back to them after 12 months away due to a better deal with SSE. Never had a problem with OVO, they did drag their feet a bit coughing up the credit when i switched away from them, but it did get sorted.
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    I moved to Ovo last December and have had no problems. Their 'welcome pack' took a few days to be sent but they handled the switchover efficiently and send me regular email requests for meter readings. Their website is good and I like the facility to choose my direct debit payment – I know my consumption better than their computer algorithm so have chosen to pay slightly more than they recommend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure