Ryanair sits hen party in FIFTEEN separate rows as outrage over seating policy grows

Options

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Options
    Am I correct in thinking that its a discounted £2 per seat if you do it at the point of booking, but more than that if you try to do it later on ?

When I did it, I was still able to book a £2 seat, even after checking in. 2 of us were split up, so I payed the £2 to move one of us next to the other.

However that was a route that had a very low seat reservation uptake (despite a nearly full aircraft - we were among the first to check in and nearly the whole plane was unreserved).

I wonder if they sell X amount of reservations at £2... then X amount at £5 etc etc. Obviously exit and extra legroom will always command the larger premiums.
  • tece
    tece Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Am I correct in thinking that its a discounted £2 per seat if you do it at the point of booking, but more than that if you try to do it later on ?

It seems that way with my situation.
    I booked flights to Dublin two weeks ago and because I'd heard about this issue, I booked seats and they were £2 per person.
    I'm going to Germany next month so thought I would log on and book the seats so we are guaranteed to sit together. The cheapest seat is £4 and they very generously will let me use a quick add tab and charge £40 return for four seats :shocked:
    Suffice to say I have declined both options.
    I have never felt the need to book seats before with Ryanair and have always been allocated adjacent seats at online check in.
    Ryanair may deny they haven't changed their policy but surely cannot deny that they haven't tinkered with the system that does the allocations.
  • JODDY
    Options
    Will not pay to book seats together and, in the past, we have always been sat together. At the very least on opposing aisle seats.
    Checked in online and was offered the chance to pay to sit together, this would infer that adjoining seats were available. I opted for random seats and we have 32C and 20D! Still with the option to pay to sit together which again infers adjoining seats are available.
    I have always, in the past, gone along with the policies of this airline but this really is a step too far and, as far as I'm concerned, a money making idea forcing people to pay to sit together.
    Back to Easyjet for me
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    JODDY wrote: »
    Will not pay to book seats together and, in the past, we have always been sat together. At the very least on opposing aisle seats.
    Checked in online and was offered the chance to pay to sit together, this would infer that adjoining seats were available. I opted for random seats and we have 32C and 20D! Still with the option to pay to sit together which again infers adjoining seats are available.
    I have always, in the past, gone along with the policies of this airline but this really is a step too far and, as far as I'm concerned, a money making idea forcing people to pay to sit together.
    Back to Easyjet for me

Nobody is forcing you to pay to sit together.
    It's a chargeable option with 'option' being the key word.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Back to Easyjet for me
    Just join in with the seat bartering fun which now seems to be an essential ritual at the start of every Ryanair flight.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Options
    Back to Easyjet for me
    Based on the previous seat farce with Ryanair, for next trip I decided not to look at Ryanair unless the route/time I need is unavailable with other low cost carriers. Straightaway found a suitable Flybe flight.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Back to Easyjet for me

Does that mean that, having accepted random seats, you can now change them around by paying if you do not like the seats that are allocated ?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Does that mean that, having accepted random seats, you can now change them around by paying if you do not like the seats that are allocated ?
    Yes. So you could just move one to be next to the other. Or you could wait till you're aboard and swap with someone else who's been sat 10 rows apart from their partner. Ryanair flights are now like musical chairs.
  • mikeeboy
    mikeeboy Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a similar option recently on a Jet2 flight. 'Randomly' allocated seats apart and then offered the chance to buy/change seats.

Unsurprisingly there were a few seats together available.

Just leaves a sour taste
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport