* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, another day of rain here. Hubby is in alot better mood after an evening off me scolding him for being a petulant child! seemed to do the trick. He is up and out at wickes for some DIY bits to finish some small jobs that need doing. I called into work to do some overtime yesterday. We are not officially back into school until monday but there were some tasks that needed to be completed. Going to catch up with some ironing and household jobs.
    Roofer managed a full day yesterday! hopefully should have it finished by wednesday. Plasterer came and gave us a good price so we will be booking him in.
    DS is on his duke of Edinburgh practice camping trip next weekend. Just making sure he has got everything.

Vulpix- I hope you are ok. Sounds like it could of been alot worse and Mr V did good not to laugh. I agree, women are much more adaptable. lol we have spotted a week next year were the rest of schools are back to school and we are off so we are hoping to fit a cheeky week away in. Saves us over £400
    Murie- that sounds like a great idea for a gift. Where is the duff beer from please?
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi,Duff beer was from Lidl,think it was £1.20/£1.25 or thereabouts.

Murie,I have been to an open garden today which was beautiful.The lady has 4 sheepdogs and has laid good quality artificial turf.I asked her about the dog wee issue and she said as it is laid on sand they have no problems at all.There certainly was no smell.She said every now and again she waters the turf with diluted fabric conditioner.

Hard to believe it's flaming June,I'm frozen and have lit a fire.

Not forgotten you Free xxx

Vx
     :
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    edited 11 June 2017 at 4:31AM
    Options
    Feeling for those of you with rotten weather, it's been gorgeous here all day, still got the windows open and I'm hot! Hope the good weather gets to you tomorrow (and stays here of course).
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Peppa- glad everything is coming together. The weather has been horrible but today the sun is shining so fingers crossed. I am definitely cutting the grass today- I have been saying that all week but every time I got to get the mower out it starts raining. My lawn is so tiny it takes longer to get the mower out and put it away than it does to actually cut the grass.
    046- as Vulpix says its Lidl that the beers are from x
    Vulpix- we have talked about getting an artificial lawn but for some reason, even though it would be less work and look better, I am reluctant. DH dislikes gardening and all things connected with it so its always left to me which I don't mind as I enjoy it. Cutting the lawn, even though its a pain at times, is something of a ritual that I find relaxing (if that doesn't sound too crazy). That's a really good idea about the fabric conditioner wash though- I would never of thought of that.
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Just had a skim read, really need to sit down & do a proper catch up so I can reply properly.

Not done anything Christmassy, but have bought a pair of boots from Debenhams, really must go & collect them! Also, if anyone is interested, Regatta have a decent clearout on at the moment, some things are hit & miss on sizes, but prices are not bad, must have look properly & see if I can pick up some winter jackets as gifts.

There may be exciting news on the Egyptian front. They are looking at the kids doing an English language summer course & combine with a holiday:j Costs are not great, but as there have been so many deaths in the last 6 months (including another at the weekend, it will be strange seeing that many fewer people when I go in August), they are taking the attitude that life is too short, so I am currently doing a blitz on spare room & need to sort out ordering a sofa bed, going for a futon which looks quite smart. Just hope it all works, if nothing else, the room will be sorted!
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Murie - we are also considering getting artificial lawn. We've thought about it for a few years because grass doesn't grow very well in our back garden, we've tried everything, even having new lawn laid & following care instructions to the letter but it always ends up dry, patchy & weeds everywhere. Anyway after many years of thinking about it, I think we are finally going to get it done this year.

Peppa - the weather wasn't too bad where I live this weekend. The sun was out & it only rained a small amount overnight, so we were able to spend some time in the garden yesterday.

Vulpix - ouchy, I hope your head is ok! I am a total wimp & I would be properly feeling sorry for myself if I'd done that! Sounds lovely being able to go on holiday during school time, cheaper & less busy. We still have that issue as our eldest is in her first year of college & our youngest is still in primary school, so we have quite a long time to go yet.

046 - Glad you sorted out your hubby's mood. Sometimes it just takes telling them like it is to snap them out of it :)

I had a lazy day for the most of yesterday but at around 4pm I suddenly had the urge to be productive, so I sorted out my spare bedroom. It really is a 'spare room' in every sense of the word. Everything gets dumped in there so unfortunately for the most part it is unusable as a functional room, but I want to get it sorted so we can get a spare bed put in there for occasional visitors. So I had a big clearout, somehow filled 3 black bags of stuff to throw away & still have a huge Ikea bag full of stuff that I think I might try getting a bit of money for on ebay or something! Not sure how there was that much stuff to get rid of as it really is a tiny room & somehow all the storage furniture in there is still full lol. Anyway, I sorted through all my wrapping paper, gift bags etc & found a load of Christmas cards & lovely little gift boxes that I forgot I'd bought last year, so I've put everything together in a box now which I can easily get my hands on.
  • Trendyjenny
    Trendyjenny Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    sorry not been around for a while. Life seems to have taken over.sorting out loft omg a job and a half. wedding plans not totally underway x
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    DD1 has artificial grass and it's brilliant although it does get pretty hot in strong sunshine. We're planning to replace our little bit of grass in the back garden next year if the money holds out. :D
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    GTQ- good news about the potential summer visitors. Be wary of Regatta sizing as that can be hit and miss (from personal experience).

Trendy- life has a habit of doing that lo- (getting in the way).

LMG- same as us but Im still not 100% convinced that I want artificial grass. I admit it does look good and would be way easier but I think I am just too 'old school'! That being said, if its what you want then go for it.

Peppa- too hot for Roo to walk on? If that's the case then its a definite 'No' as she comes first.

Nothing terribly exciting going on at the mo, just plodding along. I have been buying a few outfits for my hols and a Brazilian wedding we are going to in July (in the UK not Brazil!) so need to weed out my wardrobe to make space for them. Im planning a purge of all things that I haven't worn for a while or that I don't love, and I suppose I had better include quite a few pairs of shoes that I wont be able to wear again- can you 'hear' my reluctance in that statement?! I am finally getting back into wearing heels, albeit much lower than I used to wear. I actually am starting to feel a little more feminine when I go out! Mmmn- maybe I wont be throwing too many pairs out.........
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    Hi all not been able to get on for a few days as we’ve had quite a few things going on. Had three hospital appointments the last three days as they thought the baby’s growth might have slowed down, but after a scan today it turns out it’s actually quite big and over the 90th centile line! Not sure what is going on but baby looks happy and healthy which is the main thing. After the hospital appointment this morning I popped to TK Maxx and picked up a lovely Laura Ashley kneeling pad and gardening gloves for my mum and MIL for Christmas. It feels good as I haven’t done any Christmas shopping for ages so it’ll be nice to stash them away and add them to my spreadsheet! Got some turkey Bolognese bubbling on the hob, one portion for tonight’s tea and one portion for the freezer. Just going to put my feet up for an hour before Wiggle comes home from nursery.

04624181 yes big house renovations and finances are certainly a cause for stress! Glad he’s coming round after your talking to!

vulpix oh no I hope you are feeling better after your fall and your forehead is healing nicely!

murie yes you are right I do think I’m in nesting mode, I’m cleaning the kitchen about a million times a day which is so not me! :p

Peppa I feel your pain, we’re having a right old nightmare with Scottish Power at the moment! These companies are too big for their own good and outsource too much work. I think I’m nesting at the moment, after the baby is born I’m sure the leeks and potatoes will end up in the bin! ;) Oooh it’s exciting making house purchases and seeing it all come together!

GTQ that’s lovely news about your relatives coming over, I hope it happens! And as you say, if it doesn’t at least you’ve sorted a room out!

LMG it’s a great feeling when you’ve been productive isn’t it? Our spare room is a bit of a dumping ground at the moment too so I’m going through stuff here to get it back to being a guest room as my parents always need to stay when they’re here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure