Best place to buy cabin luggage for Ryanair.

Options
I want to buy some cabin luggage to take on ryanair flights so the measurements need to be 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and be lightweight because of the 10kg allowance.

Also do Ryanair enforce these regulations or are they guidelines therefore do they check at check in.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    At the beginning of this year, I was looking for some trolley style luggage as hand baggage on a RyanAir flight.

I looked in lots of places, including TKMaxx, Antler shops and other luggage shops in several shopping outlets, as wel as local shops and markets.

I went armed with a tape measure and discovered that the dimensions quoted on labels were often smaller than the actual size.
    I couldn't find anything at all near to (but within) the RyanAir measurements.
    In addition, most of the cases weighed in excess of 2.5 kg and the retractable handles took up quite a lot of interior space.

In the end, we used 2 antler rucksacs that we use as hand luggage on long-haul holidays.
    They are very lightweight & well within the RyanAir limits.

When we flew from EMA, we did priority boarding and nobody checked our luggage but that may have been because they were obviously well within the limits and we were slinging them onto our backs with ease.
    However, returning from Girona Airport, people who had large-looking hand luggage had to put them in the metal gauge and have them weighed.
    We did see a couple of people who had to check in luggage that they'd intended to take into the cabin.
  • CornishJon
    CornishJon Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just been into Tesco Bridgend and they had a 5 x suitcase deal for £30 (except if you use the £5 in todays News of the World then it's £25!!)
    This consists of 3 pull along bags, a small rucksack and another hold-all.
    The middle pull-along bag is exactly the right size for hand-luggage for Ryanair! Hope this helps!!! :j
  • deegee999
    deegee999 Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco economy cabin case, well inside ryanair limits,
  • deegee999
    deegee999 Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    This one http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-7090.aspx Aout £7 in tesco extra's
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Nice bit of SPAM by enjoyshoes.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • ynot2005
    ynot2005 Posts: 546 Forumite
    Options
    try tkmaxx and take a tape measure along with you because so many cases have volume instead of the size, they have brand names at good prices, but its hit and miss what they have in at the time you go.
  • dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I found the Skyflite Skypak Onboard travel bag:

http://www.skyflite.co.uk/onboard-travel-bag-p-115.html

Cheapest online seems to be £23.99:

http://www.shopeezee.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SE-SF-2080

Dimensions are 55 x 35 x 22 cms, so slightly over the Ryanair (and Easyjet) size restrictions - which are 55 x 40 x 20 cms - but I should think you'd be OK.

Incidentally, the current cost of checking in a bag and paying the airport check-in fees (which you'd have to do if checking in a bag) is £24 for a return flight with Ryanair. So buying a bag like the £23.99 one mentioned above makes perfect sense!
  • scottishf
    scottishf Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    deegee999 wrote: »
    This one http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-7090.aspx Aout £7 in tesco extra's

I checked the dimensions on the Tescowebsite, but it looks slightly too big:

Product Depth46 cmProduct Height34 cmProduct Weight3kgProduct Width24 cm

Ryanair specs are:

maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm

really liked the look of that one too. Any other suggestions :)
  • scottishf
    scottishf Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    any suggestions???
  • dbs
    dbs Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also remember the weight limit for cabin luggage on Ryanair is 10kg so buy the lightest case that you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure