Options
123457»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,070 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Even if her mum absolutely must travel with her, she should certainly stay well away from the actual interview.

There's nothing worse than a helicopter parent at a university.
    Actually, that reminds me, there's a young lady who was living with friends in my church for the last couple of years, because she was going to a local 6th form while her parents were abroad. She took herself off to open days and interviews on her own, and one Uni (may even have been Cardiff) were really surprised and impressed to find that she'd got herself organised on her own, got herself there on her own, was doing it all on her own.

Not a wild extrovert either, she came across as quiet and shy, but she just got on with it!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    Well daughter got the required grades for her first choice AAA* was better than needed, and is off to Cardiff.

Now I might be a grumpy !!!!, but there was a suggestion that we could take her down on a Wednesday. As accommodation is available 5 days earlier than they 'Need' to be there.

So I travel 200 miles to work on Monday, travel home Tuesday after work, then drive to Cardiff on Wednesday (500 miles return). Then Shall I drive back to work, or take 2 days off ?

We've come to a compromise. Thursday or preferably Friday, and we'll stay in a posh hotel for a night on the way back
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,070 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Congratulations to her.

There is always the option of saying "get yourself there on the train with a suitcase, DD, and we'll visit at the first convenient opportunity with the rest of your stuff".

One of my nephews didn't have 'proper' accommodation when he started at Uni via Clearing, and was advised to take as little as possible. A follow up visit once he'd got his own room supplied the rest of his needs / wants.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport